“Great Escape” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
El Paso, Texas
“Great Escape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

We arrived to Guam late at night, checked in to another hotel and was disgusted. The next day we checked into the Outrigger. We had a wonderful stay, the hotel and room was very clean and comfortable... wonderful views.

When in Guam we'll always stay at the Outrigger!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Filmcraft

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

The Outrigger was a beautifully appointed place centrally located in the heart of the Tumon Bay. I stayed in a suite and all I can say was wow! The decor was really hip and modern, the robes and sandals were a welcome delight. The buffet at Outrigger was an affordable price and very delicious. The pool was clean and inviting and the beach was right out the back door. Parking in the garage was easy enough with the huge truck i had as well.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights and had a great time.

We checked-in early and were charge a percentage or half the daily rate (I can't remember which it was) for the early check-in. The AAA discount helped a bit.
The check-in went well but the first thing I noticed in the room was a broken shelf by the bed. It was like someone sat on it and broke it, so I called the front desk at once because I didn't want to be held responsible for that and not be able to receive my deposit back.

The internet was ok for us. When we needed it, we were able to use it.
The bed was nice and soft. We had no problems falling asleep.
During our stay it didn't rain much, only one sun shower downpour but that was about it.
The room service was good and the food was ok (we only ordered sandwiches).
The main tourists you'll see are Japanese. You'll see a lot of Japanese and even some of the descriptions are in Japanese (and not in English) so sometimes it's a little frustrating but I guess you can ask the person working there for more details on the item. Because it's not customary in Japan to tip, sometimes you'll see a 15% gratuity charge already added on to your bill (when you eat out) so check your bill before you leave additional tip unless you want to do so (I usually leave 20%).

The pool looked nice and a lot of kids were having fun in the lagoon with the slide (which despite seeing all the kids using it, I had to try it at least once, it goes in a loop) and mini waterfalls.

There was a wedding at the hotel lobby/lounge area so obviously you couldn't use it. There didn't seem to be much privacy, I mean you can see and hear a lot of what was going on. I feel bad for guests who had rooms on the lower floors because the music was very loud. I'm glad we were on one of the higher floors.

On our first night we wanted to relax from traveling and were able to do everything indoors because the hotel is connected to a shopping area and an aquarium! I thought we might waste our first night there by not doing much but we did some souvenir shopping and had fun at the Underwater World Aquarium.

The second day we tried their brunch which I think is available on Sundays and it was amazing! They had snow crab legs cut in half with butter and all you had to do is pick it out with a fork besides lots of other good food. My boyfriend loved the oysters and I liked the mini waffles which you can personalize with tons of toppings.
After some swimming and snorkeling, at dusk we walked down the beach till we got to a free park part of the beach and then walked up the main street where we found a nice summer time snack place called "Moli-Moli". Their main dish was "moli-moli" which if you know what "Halo-Halo" is, then it would be a Guam version of that. Without having to drive, the walk down the beach and up the main street was pretty fun.

Our third day was mostly snorkeling and swimming. The beach was nice but renting all the stuff seemed expensive (water toys, etc.) We brought our own snorkeling stuff with us and were given a tip by one of the people at the pool to feed the fish vienna sausage. The waters are beautiful and if you swim out far enough you can see lots of small to medium sized (like the size of your hand) fish. Despite the expensive fish food (which be bought at a convenient store), we decided to give it a try. The water isn't as clear (because of all the white sand kicking up) as Boracay's water, but with all the fish in the shallow water it didn't matter much. They were skittish at first but then got used to the free food. It was a funny site.

Overall I was happy with our stay. If you're not going to rent a car to drive around the island, Outrigger has a lot of stuff to do nearby.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kaysiah-chan
Guam, Mariana Islands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

I feel as thought this place is absolutely NOT worth the money. I paid over $1,200.00 for a one week stay and each day twice a day through the AC vents my room is overwhelmed with the smell of cigarette smoke. Also the refridgerator barely works and the AC says 60 degrees but I KNOW it is not even close to being that temperature. The staff is nice. The resturaunt in the hotel charges $23.00 for continental breakfast and $5.50 for plain coffee! The parking is ALWAYS full and there is no overflow parking, and they let people not actually STAYING at the hotel park in the garage and do not issue parking passes. Therefore when they have events like weddings and concerts there is NO PARKING!!!! Again when I am paying that much for my crappy room the least i expect is a parking space. Again, staff is nice, but that is it. Beds were sunkin in and hard as rocks. Internet goes in and out but that is to be expected on the island.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank MrsStill
Okinawa, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

We had an oceanside room, where the view of the beach and bay was spectacular! The bartenders at the lobby bar were very friendly and accommodating, and the beach club had the best food in the hotel. Not bad for a few nights stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

We booked the Outrigger for 10 consecutive days (yes we had a long family holiday) as it was stated that it was the best on the island on several websites, including this. Well... after going to most of the hotels on Guam just to look around, that might be kind of true (at least one of the better ones), but best on Guam is still crappy in general.
I mailed 1 month ahead requesting help with babysitting service. I was promised by email (the concierge) that they would arrange something for me. One week before my holiday I called to make sure they would help and again the same promise was made. When I arrived the opposite was true and I was told to use the Westinn's daycare center (about 15 min walk and 28 dollars an hour). If I wanted to use their service, I would have stayed there! The PIC, while very old and very withered, at least has babysitting service for 8 dollars an hour.
The pool is okay, but don't be fooled by "children's pool" at amenities. There is only a tiny little bath with no slides or anything and not even the water is renewed. It smelled horrible and we didn't let our son play in there at all. Worst of all, the mattresses on the chairs outside are not leather, they are made of fabric. Why is this bad? Because it RAINS a lot on Guam. Just for 15 minutes or so, but enough to get them soaked every time you want to lie on one. And yes, in 10 days that gets quite annoying.
As for the beach, Outrigger praises itself on having this fabulous beach, yet they OUTSOURCE the beach to another company and you have to pay 50 dollars to use beach chairs and boats/toys. Now I can understand the boats/toys, but being 2 minutes from the pool and on the beach and not being able to use a deckchair is just plain ridiculous. Seriously insane. I am not paying 500 dollars extra on a holiday just to lie on the beach of my beach hotel.
The playground... not so much a playground as 2 devices on a piece of grass: a slide and 2 swings. That's it. My 2 year old did like it for about 5 minutes. This truly is NOT a family hotel and not at all child friendly (as in under 5).
Yes the location is great, you are in the middle of the shops and restaurants in Tumon, yes the staff is friendly and I do have to say that the food in the Palm cafe was excellent and a good price quality, but there were too many things wrong with this hotel to say that it was worth the price. Remember, we were there for 10 nights and got to experience a whole lot of outrigger, not just a night or 2 of fun! One of our bartenders told us the main problem of Guam "Here they see tourists as a sack of money that they shake till they get the last penny out of them, that's all they see". This seemed true on most occasions, as it was on the day we went to PIC because we wanted to use the waterpark for the day. Do you know they charge 110 dollars A PERSON for use of that old shaggy park?!? Did you also know that the "local fee" is 40 dollars a person? Still a lot, but in comparison it's just insane.

In the end, just don't go to Guam. If even the "best" in Guam is like Outrigger it is just not worth it. If you have a 2 year old, go to the Westin or the Hyatt or PIC. Make sure that the price/quality you are getting is more in balance than that at Outrigger

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Velvaria
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

This is the best hotel to stay if you like to shop. Gucci, LV, Coach, Ferragamo, ABC Stores,Trolley Stop to malls is very accessible and cheap. The belldesk actually gives free shuttle service to other areas within TUmon. Very friendly staffs. Lots of Filipino kababayans in Guam who serves as staffs.
We flew via Continental Airlines and arrived 5:30am, we were 4 adults with 4 teens and two 9 yr olds.Got 1 room paid so we can have a nap while awaiting our rooms at 12noon early check in ofr our 3 Triple rooms with the two as connecting rooms. Each room has a very nice ocean view.very spacious with 2 queen sized bed a small couch and a third foldable bed. Bathroom is clean, Flat TV. There are small drawers to put your clothes for 2-3 days only but enough room space for 6 big luggages and you can still walk comfortably.
The BEACH?...the whole stretch of it is not swimmable...the dead corals hurt your feet, there are small fishes you can see in the leg deep water. 10am-2pm is the best time to swim due to higher water tides that reaches your leg/waist, before or after is just knee deep.Better go to Boracay or Panglao or El Nido in Philippines if snorkeling and swimming is priority.
Most of Guam's tourist are Japanese, then Korean and Chinese...but the JAPS are the number 1 tourist, lucky for us(better service) there were few Japs there due to the Tsunami in Japan.
Breakfast is buffet type. Japanese, Western style is offered.
I suggest you just rent a car and drive on your own since Guam is small and its better to shop where you can place your things and go back to the Premium Outlet Mall or Macy's in Micronesia Mall or DFS Galleria for all the branded things you would like.
Lots of food but not that great (my taste). Westin has the best buffet with open kitchen at 25 dollars/adult. Hyatt's La Mirenda Buffet is yucky, hotel staffs there are similarly incompetent so its much better to stay in Outrigger!
We went to Pacific Islands Club for 110 dollar day tour it was so worth it which includes good lunch buffet with Kahlua Pig.
Airport is just 10 minutes aways from the hotel/Tumon Area.

Room Tip: Be nice to the staffs too....