“Pretty good over all”

Outrigger Guam Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Tumon
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Let's start with the negatives. We were able to check in quite late. It was almost 3pm when our rooms became available and considering that we got there before 6am (although we just left our luggages and proceeded to shop in Kmart and the Outlet Stores) and expected to be able to check in by 2pm, the wait seemed longer. You should expect a similar experience if you plan to stay there during peak season. (Note: we were not the only ones waiting to check in.)

The internet connection comes and goes. There were times when my phone could not detect the wi-fi.

Also, the next morning, there was a waiting line for the buffet breakfast as there was not enough space to accommodate the guests.

Of course, the negatives are probably the result of too many people wanting to stay at the Outrigger. Here are the reasons why.

First, it's located in the middle of all the nice shops. There's The Plaza within the hotel compound, the DFS Galleria across the street, and the Tumon Sands and JP Superstore which are both several meters away. There are also restaurants nearby. It's also very near the beach.

Our room was very nice, spacious and seemed to have everything we needed (including a coffee maker). It had a nice view of the beach. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever been on that I was tempted to ask for the brand of the mattress. The bathroom was spacious and complete with the usual supplies. I love the window panels (instead of drapes). They really bring character to the room. Plus, they make the room really dark if you want to sleep during the day.

The staff in the reception and buffet were very friendly and helpful.

The buffet breakfast was quite good. I wish they had more variety from one day to another though. Also, the omelette station was not impressive at all.

And perhaps to make up for the late check in (or maybe because there were not too many guests checking in at the time), we were allowed to check out at almost 4pm.

Over all, I really enjoyed my stay at the Outrigger.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the beach.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank smalltravellingwoman
There are newer reviews for Outrigger Guam Beach Resort

Reviewed 14 November 2011

Stayed four wonderful (and affordable) nights at the Outrigger in Guam. Our first hotel stay in Guam -we are usually long term condo stayers. Expected the worst but got the very best! Deluxe Ocean View Room (10F) facing south. Recommend that side - but stay on the north side if you don't want the hot sun. Internet wifi is free. Breakfast buffet included. Buffet was so good we never went to Sunday Brunch as planned. Check in and out took only 30-40 seconds!! Housekeeing was great. Room was clean and well appointed. Beds were the BEST we have ever slept on. Pool area well disigned and never feels crowded. Nice Jaccuzzi by pool too. Never had to call the front desk once for anything and that says a lot in a place like Guam which is occasionally rough on the edges (see our review of one night at the Aurora Resort). Strongly recommend this for your stay.

Room Tip: Up high and close to beach. Close to elevator if you have walking issues.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 3choice5dollar
Reviewed 16 October 2011

The Outrigger was a beautifully appointed place centrally located in the heart of the Tumon Bay. I stayed in a suite and all I can say was wow! The decor was really hip and modern, the robes and sandals were a welcome delight. The buffet at Outrigger was an affordable price and very delicious. The pool was clean and inviting and the beach was right out the back door. Parking in the garage was easy enough with the huge truck i had as well.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Don61
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I arrived very early into Guam, and despite asking for an early check in, when I arrived I was told I had to pay an extra $150 for a day room until my room was ready. This room appeared to be an ordinary room - perhaps below what I expected, but functional. When my room was ready (#2001), I was amazed. This new room was huge, with sweeping views up and down the beach. It was so big, and so comfortable, with such amazing views, I didn't want to leave! It felt like a completely different hotel from the standard hotel room I had during the day.

The hotel is situated on a nice part of the beach, and like most things in Guam is very Japanese-oriented (trying to find an English language island tour was pretty close to impossible).

My one complaint about the hotel was that the internet connection in both rooms was poor to non-existent. I guess Guam is targeted at the (Japanese) leisure market, but as a business traveller, the poor internet connection and speed made life a bit difficult. Overall, however, this was a really comfortable, well-located and well-run hotel.

Room Tip: Room 2001 was amazing...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We arrived to Guam late at night, checked in to another hotel and was disgusted. The next day we checked into the Outrigger. We had a wonderful stay, the hotel and room was very clean and comfortable... wonderful views.

When in Guam we'll always stay at the Outrigger!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Filmcraft
Reviewed 28 July 2011

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights and had a great time.

We checked-in early and were charge a percentage or half the daily rate (I can't remember which it was) for the early check-in. The AAA discount helped a bit.
The check-in went well but the first thing I noticed in the room was a broken shelf by the bed. It was like someone sat on it and broke it, so I called the front desk at once because I didn't want to be held responsible for that and not be able to receive my deposit back.

The internet was ok for us. When we needed it, we were able to use it.
The bed was nice and soft. We had no problems falling asleep.
During our stay it didn't rain much, only one sun shower downpour but that was about it.
The room service was good and the food was ok (we only ordered sandwiches).
The main tourists you'll see are Japanese. You'll see a lot of Japanese and even some of the descriptions are in Japanese (and not in English) so sometimes it's a little frustrating but I guess you can ask the person working there for more details on the item. Because it's not customary in Japan to tip, sometimes you'll see a 15% gratuity charge already added on to your bill (when you eat out) so check your bill before you leave additional tip unless you want to do so (I usually leave 20%).

The pool looked nice and a lot of kids were having fun in the lagoon with the slide (which despite seeing all the kids using it, I had to try it at least once, it goes in a loop) and mini waterfalls.

There was a wedding at the hotel lobby/lounge area so obviously you couldn't use it. There didn't seem to be much privacy, I mean you can see and hear a lot of what was going on. I feel bad for guests who had rooms on the lower floors because the music was very loud. I'm glad we were on one of the higher floors.

On our first night we wanted to relax from traveling and were able to do everything indoors because the hotel is connected to a shopping area and an aquarium! I thought we might waste our first night there by not doing much but we did some souvenir shopping and had fun at the Underwater World Aquarium.

The second day we tried their brunch which I think is available on Sundays and it was amazing! They had snow crab legs cut in half with butter and all you had to do is pick it out with a fork besides lots of other good food. My boyfriend loved the oysters and I liked the mini waffles which you can personalize with tons of toppings.
After some swimming and snorkeling, at dusk we walked down the beach till we got to a free park part of the beach and then walked up the main street where we found a nice summer time snack place called "Moli-Moli". Their main dish was "moli-moli" which if you know what "Halo-Halo" is, then it would be a Guam version of that. Without having to drive, the walk down the beach and up the main street was pretty fun.

Our third day was mostly snorkeling and swimming. The beach was nice but renting all the stuff seemed expensive (water toys, etc.) We brought our own snorkeling stuff with us and were given a tip by one of the people at the pool to feed the fish vienna sausage. The waters are beautiful and if you swim out far enough you can see lots of small to medium sized (like the size of your hand) fish. Despite the expensive fish food (which be bought at a convenient store), we decided to give it a try. The water isn't as clear (because of all the white sand kicking up) as Boracay's water, but with all the fish in the shallow water it didn't matter much. They were skittish at first but then got used to the free food. It was a funny site.

Overall I was happy with our stay. If you're not going to rent a car to drive around the island, Outrigger has a lot of stuff to do nearby.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple