“our favorite upmarket meal in Bar Harbor”
Review of Town Hill Bistro - CLOSED

Town Hill Bistro
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The building it's in is small, but don't let that fool you. This place packs a lot of awesomeness in a small package. Do be warned, the size makes reservations essential. It is also located a little ways outside of town, but it is definitely worth the drive.

The service is casual but solidly attentive and professional. Overall, the ambiance is causal, just like Bar Harbor is in general, but there is a subtle artistic element that adds color and interesting elements to the space without being overbearing or loud. I also found that due to the limited number of tables available, the noise level was just right.

The best is saved for last, the food. Every course was excellent. The dishes offered inventive twists if not being entirely different from anything we had ever had. My wife's seafood stew (for lack of a better description) with pearl couscous and the most delicately yet delicious fresh herb seasoned broth was spectacular. I do not typically like seafood, but I liked her dish! The desserts were marvelous as well. We enjoyed our drinks quite a bit and were also impressed by the range offered by the bar and wine cellar given the size of the restaurant.

If you only do one "high end" meal while in Bar Harbor, have it at Town Hill Bistro.

1  Thank frac81

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Little did I know that this restaurant has one of the highest ratings in Bar Harbor when I made my reservations. I found the reservations when I stopped to ask directions. And it smelled wonderful and I was very attracted to the simple, but elegant atmosphere.
Do make reservations. We dropped in one night and discovered that they had no seating for that evening. We made reservations for the following evening.
Their menu covered a very nice range of tastes and seemed to be seasonal. We had starters, main courses (large plates), and desert. All were excellent.

1  Thank De M
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We always try to have dinner at Town Hill when we visit MDI. The people there are always so friendly, and the food is great. The decor is warm and pleasing--very relaxing. We shared a fantastic dessert!! It was a cocoa gingerbread with caramel sauce.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

It's a 15-minute drive from downtown and occupies an old wooden house/store. Not very large (maybe a dozen tables inside a more outside) with a nice fireplace and down-home atmosphere. My wife had the fish special (cod) for the night and declared it the best fish dish she's ever had (and she's had plenty!) - thick, moist and perfectly seasoned. I had the pork which was slightly dry but great taste. Wine selection was nice and reasonably priced (for a restaurant). All-in-all, our best dinner in 10 days in Maine.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Not quite what I expected. Service was average. Food average. Much better places to eat in the area.