“Open next door under the name of the Food Shack”
Review of Town Hill Bistro - CLOSED

Town Hill Bistro
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2014

As other reviews have noted, Town Hill Bistro has been closed this summer while they look for a new location. The owners have had and continue into the fall to have a small kitchen for take out and with some outdoor tables located next to the original Bistro. So as long as it isn't too cold to keep cooking, you can stop in or call to see what they have. The food is excellent as always. They will cook meals to take with you and offer excellent baked goods too. Hopefully by next year they will have a new home, but it was so nice having them in Town Hill.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We have wanted to eat here for years. We drove around looking for it, pulled over and called the number. They answered under a different name, we apologized and said we were looking for the Town HIll Bistro. They are looking for a new location as they were apparently in the process of purchasing a larger place and gave up their lease on their old one. Something fell through and they are without a place. Anxious to try it when they do reopen. Always have heard great things. Fingers crossed. Average rating as we have no reason to give them a bad one.

2  Thank Momof2inMaine
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I called and the voice mail said they are looking for a new location. so, may want to find another place to eat?

5  Thank dan B
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We had the great pleasure of dining at this locally sustainable chef run restaurant called Town Hill Bistro. The staff is willing to accomodate for any special diet requests. It is the type of place they will go out of there way to make sure you gave the best dining experience imaginable. Did I mention reasonable. There pricing is spot on. Having eaten at numerous establishments, my husband and I agreed collectively this was one of the best places for simple ingredients prepared with perfection in cooking, taste and freshness. If you want to feel like your eating farm fresh but to have an outstanding chef prepare your food this is the establishment. This chef is no ordinary chef she is well published in the best chefs of Maine and in my opinion would in the top tier of New England.

We wish you chef, your family and friends much success as you are gifted, talented and support so many with your craft.

Ripal and Priyesh- couple from NYC on honeymoon. I'm going to keep cookbook forever! I can still remember taste texture of panne cota and blue cheese. Outstanding.

3  Thank Rprip
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Town Hill Bistro is in the town of Town Hill, not Bar Harbor so don't think you can walk there. It is about a 15 minute ride through breathtaking scenery. Of course, we were there when the leaves were turning so it was beauty everywhere we looked. This is a small restaurant with about 10 tables. It is rustic and independent and they do things their way. The customer is not always right. The service is hit or miss, or at least it was the night we were there. We split an appetizer-lobster and shrimp in a miso sauce which was excellent. Then we both had mixed green salad. I was told that I could not have my dressing on the side because the dressing was tossed with the salad. Odd. I have never had a fine dining establishment tell me that before. But as I said, they do things their way.

My companion had a pork loin sans bone with a peach glaze over it, Yukon gold potatoes and a delicious salad of peas, tomatoes, red onion and cucumber with a vinaigrette on it. The salad was the perfect accompaniment to the robust pork loin. I had Pork Shank Adobo, the special that night, with garlic mashed potatoes and same cold salad of peas etc. It was all delicious.

We decided on dessert because we did have that long drive and deserved it! My choice was the house special Tiramisu which was divine and my companion had a slice of spiced gingerbread with a caramel sauce. I let him have my whipped cream for it. He thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful. The coffee though was only so so.

I would have given Town Hill Bistro an excellent rating for the food, but the waiter was very lackadaisical and the feel in of the place was not warm and welcoming. One almost got the feeling that we were not wanted, just tolerated. Whatever its shortcomings though, the food makes it a very worthwhile and delicious place to go.