“A bit of somber history”
Review of Alcatraz Island

San Francisco Combo: Alcatraz and City Segway Tour
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Park rangers conduct tours by recounting the prison's thrilling history along with intriguing anecdotes about Al Capone and other legendary figures that made a "home" here.
San Rafael, CA
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“A bit of somber history”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Great tour by the GG natl rec. Really interesting and a nice boat ride.

Visited March 2011

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Scary place!”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Its cool to explore the outside and inside the prison, but I also got chills as if someone was following me...haha creepy

Dublin, Ireland
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Do not miss this!”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

For myself and my partner this was top of our list of things to do in San Fran.
We booked this well in advance and I'm glad we did as we went mid-week in the AM in November and there was still a queue.
The boat over is fun and there are toilets and snacks available on board. It also gives you a great view of the bay and golden gate bridges and San Fran skyline.
Once on the island you get a quick introduction on the dock and then you can do as you wish. The return ticket isnt timed so you can stay as long as you like.
The tour itself is self guided with audio and takes about 45mins-60mins depending on the pace you want to explore. There is a gift store and a short film you can watch too. All in all I think we spent about 2.5 hours on the island.
We booked the tickets on alcatrazcruises.com and the tickets cost $26 dollars (if I remember correctly) and in my opinion are well worth it.
We really really enjoyed this trip and would recommend it to people of all ages!

Visited November 2011
4 Thank Loubox
Houston, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Highlight of the trip”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My kids dislike tours of any kind, but this one was different. They thanked me at the end, saying it was the best tour!

Visited March 2011
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A must do”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Went for the early bird tour since the night one didn't fit with our schedule. Very interesting, great views from the ferry ride. Free audio tour that is very well done. One note, when they give the 5 minute warning for the ferry departure, they really mean 10 seconds!

Visited January 2012