“Good hotel with excellent amenities”
Review of Cova Hotel

Cova Hotel
Ranked #96 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“Good hotel with excellent amenities”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We stayed at Cova for 2 nights. The room was great and very modern. The breakfast was excellent (self-serve) although a bit behind schedule one morning. The shuttle is a very nice addition to getting around town and the driver very nicely took us to Bart the day of departure. Staff are friendly and knowledgeable. The neighborhood is a bit off so it is important to follow staff directions for coming and going in the evening, but we walked back from Union Square with no worries. Good value for price.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor with no view but did not care. If one wants to see the neighborhood vie...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Barbara98116

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
uk
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Beautiful hotel, modern and staff are friendly, i booked this hotel without researching the area. i am a young single female solo traveller. i walked around the tenderloin area with no bother except one occasion where i was asked for a cigarette, when i declined i was spat at.
Hotel offers free shuttles to fisherman's wharf and union square so you don't have to walk the tenderloin streets. even though i did walk them, just have your wits about you and don't draw attention to yourself.
hotel is lovely, breakfast is fab, rooftop area is brilliant, (patio) got a brilliant deal and would stay here again even though the area is the only downside, don't wear lots of jewellery as you will get heckled.

Room Tip: patio doors are thin so if you are a light sleeper then this may not be the best choice as garbage t...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank slb2288
Central Coast California
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Okay I've stayed in SF numerous times, so when I was looking for a deal, the Cova was the winner.and it was no suprise for me about the neighborhood. The Cova site listed the hotel $18 more than Bookit.com, when I asked if they would match the price, they did. Here's what's good for this sometime budget traveller: 1) Room rate and room decor, 2) valet parking $25-cheap by SF stds, 3) Breakfast included-adequate if really going on the cheap-I opted out but it does have nice city views on the 8th floor. There is a large outdoor space there as well with tables that you later go up and relax or picnic up there.

Here's a couple things I didn't care for: 1)Needed earplugs as my room was right over where the cars are dropped off for valet parking and the people arriving late at night could easily be heard in the hallway. 2)Wanted to rent in room movies and when I didn't see it on the menu, I asked 2 of the hotel staff it they were available and they were unable to answer whether the hotel had it-apparently no.

This is the Tenderloin and what does that mean to people who aren't familiar with SF? It means this is the area where homeless, drug addicts and the disinfranchise inhabit. Glide Memorial Church is several blocks down the street with their overnight shelter and soup kitchen where the aforementioned people line up. For a visual, view Will Smith's "Pursuit of Happyness" based a true story of a man who was homeless for a year. Mixed in with this population are people with families who you see shopping, out with their children, living life in the Tenderloin.

I didn't stay out late but had no problems. I was asked several times for money but had no problems when I declined. (I have had far more rude responses around Union Square from the pan handlers there than the people asking for money on my sojourn thru the streets of the Tenderloin.)

For those who love Asian food, turn left as you leave the hotel and go down 1 block to "Little Sagion" on Larkin St. Numerous restaurants for the budget conscience. Lee's Sandwiches make delicious Vietnamese sandwiches and other deli items that can be eaten there or be taken out for picnics elsewhere e.g. the Cova Rooftop! The Asian Art Museum is also on Larkin St. There is a movie theater at Larkin and Polk St. Didn't see Starbucks close but lotsa different coffee shops up on Polk St

Here's the bottom line, lots of inexpensive restaurants of different ethnicity in the area.
SF has many homeless who seem to congregate in this area, but did not threaten this traveler. I do agee with a prior review that recommends going down Geary St and turning on Hyde St to access hotel instead of travelling down Ellis St.or O'farrell St. Also, I have done quite a bit of walking and dress down so I don't look touristy and helps with not being asked for money..

If you are a first time visitor to SF, I would not reccomend this hotel due to the neighborhood ,not necessarily because of safety issues, but because I think especially for a first time visit,it is more fun staying closer to the action of Union Square, Chinatown, Cable Cars etc.

If you are a repeat visitor and get a deal, it might be interesting to experience a different part of the city. When I first started coming to SF, I stayed in the Wharf area or Union Sqaure, but is has been fun to explore other areas of the city that aren't so touristy.

8 Thank labonvoyer
california
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I don't want to be a complainer 'cause this is a really decent hotel. However there are some issues that should be mentioned. First and most importantly it is not in a neighborhood where you'd want to walk anywhere. When we asked for cab service we were told cabs are slow to come to that area on the weekends so we decided to walk (based on some reviews that said area was not that bad). Wrong. We walked 4 full blocks before we were out of questionable territory. Bums and derelicts abound on dimly lit streets. The hotel rooms were nice.Clean. The floor we were on was a non-smoking floor but smelled like smoke. The room was smoke-free. Bathroom was nice with a modern look but lacked counter space by the the sink. Good free breakfast in the morning with awesome view of city from 8th floor. As long as you know what you're getting I'd say it's a great hotel for the price. ($75. on priceline).

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better. Don't want street sounds and want a view.
1 Thank dalycalifornia
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed there one weekend recently. I booked the the trip through expedia and got a deal on the room for two nights. Although our room came with 2 queen beds as opposed to the king bed we requested (expedia bargain tix said it was up to the hotels availability), we were still plenty comfortable on the one bed. We got there really late (about 10pm) and were hungry and saw so many restaurants in the area we decided to walk around and pick a place for dinner. The neighborhood is quite lovely in the daytime and not a little scary in the nighttime. The homeless population was greater than expected and the streets smelled like urine. We did find a Vietnamese restaurant but ended up taking it back to the room with us since it was so late. It being my first time in San Fran and mostly only restaurants in the neighborhood there wasn't much to explore. We were lucky in that, right outside the hotel, there was a (Chinese?) New Year festival going on, so we walked around and looked at the stalls and watched the celebration. The breakfast consisted of little fruit, cold-cuts and bread to make sandwiches and one waffle machine. Nothing spectacular, but all in all the hotel was beautiful and the staff was very helpful and accommodating. I would return again in a heartbeat.

1 Thank Amanda R
San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This hotel is wonderful! You will be pleasantly surprised!

Do not hesitate to book because of the neighborhood.. Plenty of locals live in this part of the city despite it's reputation. You can take advantage of the hotel's complimentary shuttle to and from union square (check with front desk for the hours of operation), or you can walk if you are comfortable or even take a cab for less than $10 to get to the heart of the city. Note: The hotel elevators are secure (no outsiders can go up and down in the elevators due to needing the access key).

The hotel rooms are completely renovated (as is the lobby); the rooms are gorgeous with simple and elegant design and the breakfast room is located at the top of the hotel where there is a deck with a great view of the city! This hotel is definitely clean; housekeeping gets an A.

This hotel is perfect for a traveler looking for a unique option. It offers great deals in exchange for a clean and nice hotel. Also, if you have parking, the parking is affordable compared to other areas in the hotel where they can charge up to $40 for overnight parking!

Cheers!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank SaraSelavie
Boulder, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I didn't like this hotel at all. First, I couldn't control the heat/air in the room because it's centrally controlled so I ended up sleeping in a freezing room. Secondly, all the towels are really thin (like gym towels). Third, the water pressure in the shower is very low. Fourth, the carpet in the room had stains all over it - looked really dirty. And the seat of the toilet wasn't cleaned well when I checked in. I thought it was going to be a holiday inn quality hotel, but it turned out to be a motor lodge with a face lift. Very disappointed.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Josh B
Joyce P, Guest Satisfaction Ambassador at Cova Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2012
Hello Josh B.,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Cova Hotel and for sharing your experience with us. We take all feedbacks seriously and we genuinely regret that we did not meet your expectations.
Our building heater is centrally controlled as part of our eco-friendly initiative. We do have supplemental heaters upon request at the front desk. Shower heads have also been customized to conserve water use; if necessary we are able to accommodate replacement shower heads for regular flow. Our housekeeping department has set a length of time to ensure that our product is held up at the highest gravity, including carpet and toilet cleaning, as well as our towels.

At your convenience, please contact me directly at joyce@covahotel.com for I would like to get more information regarding the products that didn’t met our Cova standards.

Again, thank you so much for your feedback and for bringing your thoughts to our attention.