“Literary Luxury”

Hotel Rex San Francisco
Ranked #66 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 21 December 2015

There's more to a hotel than its space and facilities, and we thought the Rex had it in abundance. Yes it was dark and there were no panoramic views, but for us weary travellers the sense of homeliness and understated style was what mattered. The staff were friendly and helpful, the 'Library'bar was charming (and free glass of wine for residents a nice touch). We were aware this was an old building with a few limitations. However its charm and central location made it perfect for us. For the record we were perfectly happy with the water, the bed linen and the WiFi, and always knew where we were with the elevator! Next time in San Francisco we'll be back there!

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,728)

Reviewed 20 December 2015

The employees at this hotel were extremely friendly and helpful, however I would probably never stay there again. I felt uncomfortable overall. The hotel was cramped, and the room felt as if it was on a slant. The linens didn't seem super fresh, and when we turned on the bathwater it came out with a brown/orange tint for a few minutes. Granted, we are not from "the city" in any regard, so maybe this is average for a $300 per night hotel.... we were just surprised. I wanted to leave a review because their website does not offer a lot of information.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brittany O
Reviewed 11 December 2015

Clean, simple and relatively quiet, Hotel Rex is decent value. No frills per se, but it's in a good location, the staff are great and there's a fun lounge for you sip your freebie drink in. I'll be back.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank northvanmike
Dustin K, Manager at Hotel Rex San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2015

Hello northcanmike,

Thank you for relaxing with us while you were in San Francisco. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you back again.

Reviewed 10 December 2015

The free wifi was inadequate, so I paid $6.95 per day for the first-level upgrade, which helped. The room (queen bed) was sooo tiny, but adequate. Very clean, nice little extras, and close to the financial district where I had business, and close to Union Square. I'd stay here again (if I was alone - the room was too tiny to even share with my best-friend-husband). No drawers to put your clothes away, but a wardrobe with shelves and a safe, which was okay for my fairly-short visit. No smell - allergy friendly. Really nice and friendly staff and valet parking for a price.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled on business
4  Thank CaliforniaFern
Reviewed 4 December 2015

I have stayed at the Rex on two previous occasions. This past week I was selected to receive an award at a ceremony being held at the Marines Memorial and the Rex was once again my go to choice for hotels. On this trip I had the pleasure of sharing my experience with some of my family and as a result we ended up with four rooms. Without exception all of us raved about the comfort of our rooms, the beds, the decor, the beautiful bar and the outstanding staff. The Rex once again exceeded my expectations and validated to my family why I find this my home away from home when visiting San Francisco.

Stayed: December 2015
1  Thank Steve T
Dustin K, Manager at Hotel Rex San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2015

Hello Steve T,

We are pleased you continue to enjoy your time with us at The Rex and thank you for allowing us to host your family and special guests. We look forward to being your home away from home while you are in San Francisco.

Reviewed 26 November 2015

The room was small but honestly, having more floor space wasn't a concern, we were in San Francisco for the first time and spent most of our time exploring the city. My only complaint would be no indicator for which floor the elevator was on (on the 6th floor anyway... sometimes I had an Uber coming and wasn't sure if I should wait, or if I should run down the stairs) and that my room wasn't very soundproof (I could hear my neighbour upstairs walking around at 5am... which was my wake up time as well, but this might not work out so well for some guests). But overall, I had a lovely stay, the staff was super friendly and didn't seem phased that I kept losing my key card. They were also nice about us leaving our luggage at the hotel for almost an entire day, despite having checked out.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
Dustin K, Manager at Hotel Rex San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2015

Greetings 6ix_88,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at Hotel Rex. As a smaller property, the main staircase is a great way to get up and down from the guest floors if you are in a rush. I can understand your frustrations regarding the lack of an indicator light and have passed on the concern to seek possible resolutions. Thank you again for staying with us at The Rex.

Reviewed 21 November 2015

We originally booked a hotel in fisherman’s wharf for our 3 night stay, but a few days before our stay we decided that we want to stay in union square area. Rex Hotel was the only available option for this weekend that was not extremely overpriced. It was a great decision to stay in this area for a first time visit in SF because it had more options and felt a bit safer.
The hotel is very old and you can see the wear and tear in the room. The floor was angled, the textile felt dusty. Water pressure in the shower was very low. Soundproofing did not exist, you could hear everything that was going on outside your room. The room was also very small, we could not maneuver ourr 2 suitcases in the space.
Nearby there is a nice dinner for breakfast and a parking garage that is much cheaper than hotel’s valet parking.
In general, it’s better to visit SF without a car because traffic is bad and parking is expensive, however the public transportation is not great. Next time we would probably use taxis or uber rides.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple

Jannagu,

We appreciate you changing your plans to stay with us at Hotel Rex and sympathize with your concerns regarding the room you stayed in. Should you decide to return, please work with our Guest Services Team to ensure you are comfortable with your accommodations. Being an older building, we have numerous room types and layouts available.

As you noted, we are centrally located with numerous forms of transportation around our property putting the city in reach. Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback regarding your time with us.