Inn on Castro
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
US$395
US$305
  • Room Service
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
US$282
  • Bar/Lounge
US$338
US$204
  • Pool
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
US$408
US$219
US$304
US$218
  • Bar/Lounge
Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$189
  • Pool
US$464
US$309
Hotwire.com
  • Restaurant
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$208
Hotwire.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewscastro areamuni stationbrown roomother guestspatio suitehost janbreakfast tablehome away from homefresh fruitevery morningprivate bathtwin peaksbreakfast was deliciousa wonderful place to stayf linerestaurants and barslocation was perfect
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This well appointed and clean apartment is the main floor of a 2 story home. We have stayed in this unit on 3 separate occasions and have always been very pleased. There are two bedrooms each with a queen size bed, a recently renovated bathroom, living room, large kitchen, dining area and outside patio. The property is located on Caselli Street and is very quiet with other like homes. All of this is a 5 minute walk to everything the Castro has to offer. Also within walking is the street car on Market Street and a MUNI Station. I cannot recommend Jan's place any higher for cleanliness, convenience and fun this is the place to stay in the Castro.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. Everything in the Castro is walking distance.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights with Jan in April. This is a proper bed and breakfast experience - it is not a hotel. Breakfasts are communal, and delicious - every day we had a different baked item on the table along with cereals, fruit salad, fresh juice and great coffee, and a choice of two different made-to-order hot items (scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, pecan pancakes and strawberries, poached eggs on wilted chard with walnut toast etc.). You really feel like a guest in Jan's house, and meeting the other guests over breakfast is all part of the fun. Obviously, this is a gay-run B&B, and many guests (but not all) are gay, making it a diverse and interesting place to stay.

The location is great - 1 minute from tube and tram, and right in the heart of the Castro, with many great restaurants and lively gay bars. Jan provides a very useful listing of some of the best restaurants in the area - all the ones we tried were very good indeed.

Our room was the Hideaway Suite in the basement. If you want a lovely quiet retreat, with a separate entrance from the main house, this is just perfect. As a basement room, it does not have any natural light in the bedroom - but we were sleeping there, not sunbathing - we found it snug, and slept very well. Free sodas in the fridge and quality coffee/tea in the room were nice touches.

Would we go back - yes - we loved the city, had great fun in the Castro, and found that this was the perfect relaxing place to finish our American road trip.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2012

i've stayed at the inn on castro as a solo traveller and this year i was on a business trip with my team and we all stayed with jan, some in the main house and some in one of the apartments. both times it was great! it's perfectly located and suited for you if you're not a big fan of anonymous business hotels in the financial district or don't feel like staying at one the overstuffy 'historical' places. it's affordable, comfortable, friendly, uncomplicated, jan is a wonderful and helpful host and does make the best breakfasts ever. totally recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed April 7, 2012

The Inn on Castro offers 2 styles of accommodation, hotel and apartment. We wanted apartment on Castro as we were staying for a week. We picked Inn/hotel was on a lovely spot on Castro st, we did not realize the apartment was a walk up the hill to Caselli street. The apartment was in lovely quiet neighbourhood, but not near exciting Castro Street and area. Never the less, it was a nice stay, with 2 bedrooms, big kitchen and living room. The apartment did need some maintenance, internal doors, and also kitchen cabinets needed some work.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Craig H
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I had a wonderful stay! Jan loves what he does and it shows! The second I walk in the door he greeted me and made me feel at home. He provided me with a map of the city and a list of restraunts to eat at. The breakfast is absolutely amazing! The Inn was very clean and cozy as was the bed I slept in. I really did feel like I was at my home away from home during my stay. I will definately be staying there again on my next trip to San Francisco!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo