“Lovely”

Ranked #9 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Portland, Oregon
“Lovely”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

When traveling, boutique hotels are my first choice. This place had a European flavor. It is an old building, so there are small, but insignificant signs of age. Every staff member was friendly and I had the feeling that they were sincere in their gestures of hospitality. The location is great. Our room was in the back, so even with the window open it was quiet in my opinion. The complementary soft drinks were a plus. The beds and pillows were comfortable. The fireplace was an added romantic amenity. Breakfast was adequate for my needs and the wine and snacks in the evening was a nice touch.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Skylark205

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Overall good value and location for a tourist. Blocks to Union Sq, & Chinatown. $ blocks from the pickup spot for Dylan's Famous Tours ( Which I would recommend) It's a quaint, traditional British decor with spacious rooms and a very nice breakfast and evening wine and snacks provided The city noises were heard even in the back of the Inn but we heard no noises from other quests because we were on the 5th floor so no one above us. I don't think it would be completely quiet in any room. I would avoid being near the elevator, it's very old and the metal gates and doors make noise when closing. ALL the staff were friendly and helpful. I had asked for extra pillows and they were in the room when we arrived.

Room Tip: 5th floor in back & away from elevator
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I asked for a quiet room and was given an inside room on the top floor. I never heard a sound the whole time I was there. The room was big, and I ran the fireplace in the evening and in the morning just because it was there. The common room is quite nice. I missed the wine reception, but I stopped in after and finished the leavings. The morning breakfast was excellent. I had quiche, yogurt, oatmeal, and fruit, but there were also pastries, hard-boiled eggs, cereal, and more. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Here are a few nitpicks - you decide if any are important to you. 1. The building is old, e.g., you open and close the accordion door of the ancient elevator yourself (I thought it was fun, but it doesn't make for quick trips to the room). 2. The rug in my room was not a sparkling hotel commercial carpet, but it fit the feel of the place. 3. The coffee both in-room and at breakfast is Folgers-ey. 4. The shades in the room don't block out all the light - I brought my eye mask and I was fine.

I had a great stay at White Swan Inn, and I recommend it.

Room Tip: I wanted quiet, so I asked for a quiet room. I got an inside room on the top floor and I was very ha...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Kurt12
california
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My teenager daughter and I spent two nights at this hotel in early April and we enjoyed it very much. It has a lot of character. We had a king room on the top floor, overlooking Bush St. The room was clean, large, bright, the bed was comfortable, and we enjoyed the city scene from our windows. The location of the hotel is perfect -- it is within walking distance to everything -- Union Square, Nob Hill, Chinatown, the cable car lines. The breakfast had a nice variety, the afternoon cookies were a yummy treat after returning from a busy day sight-seeing, and the staff was very pleasant and helpful. The staff also puts out snacks at 5pm. I also liked that the front door to the hotel was locked 24 hours a day. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to city sounds, request a room away from Bush St.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Newburyport
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Very friendly and prompt service with an aesthetically pleasing common space for guests were some of the positives to this b and b. What really impressed us even more was that, a last minute change in our plans, resulted in our having another person with us and requesting a cot in our room. The said they'd be happy to accommodate and ended up upgrading us to a suite at no extra charge! This made for much greater comfort for all concerned.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street may be noisy
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ted J
Burleson, TX
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This is a great little hotel with charm. I traveled to San Francisco for a vacation and this place fit the bill. It is 2 blocks from the cable car, and within walking distance of Chinatown. My room was on the 5th floor facing Bush St, which can be a bit noisy some mornings. Breakfast is adequate, but I was saving room for seafood so didn't want a huge breakfast anyway. Parking is a nightmare unless you valet, so keep that in mind, but that is anywhere in SF. Nice amenities and spacious rooms. I loved it here.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank freebyrd73
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We spent 4 nights in the 'White Swan Inn' of San Francisco and we loved every second of it. The Hotel is in a great location, very close to Union Square, China Town and all the main attractions of San Francisco.
This little boutique Hotel is really a diamond in the heart of San Francisco. Rooms are quite big and decorated in a lovely way (flowered wallpaper in each floor/room). The bed is extremely comfortable and the bedroom offers all the things you might need, from the closet, to the big tv including an electric fireplace (very useful considering how cold and rainy San Francisco was).
The room's price includes an American Breakfast and complementary soft drinks.
The staff is kind and very helpful, always available.
Since it is a boutique hotel in the heart of San Francisco, the building is quite old and it may cause some little problem (ex the sink gets always flooded) but these are very small issues compared to the great advantages this Hotel offers.
We highly recommend to everybody, especially to who's in San Francisco for his honeymoon, as we were :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple