“Loved it! It's possibly haunted by Janis Joplin, too!”
Review of Sleep Over Sauce

Sleep Over Sauce
Ranked #18 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 August 2011

It was a nice little surprise...especially the small balcony off the Haight Suite! I felt like a true San Francisco resident when I'd hang out out there. And we even saw a naked neighbor (oh come on, like you haven't seen a naked person before?)! There aren't too many frills with the room itself but it's perfect if your intention is to be out and about most of the day. The bed was amazing and I'm happy to report - no bug bites! The tub room was perfect and designed and decorated to make such a small place feel roomy. The toilet had its' own small room which worked out great for me and the hub.

The neighborhood was a little scary at first due to not being familiar with my surroundings but after walking around a bit, I realized there are other more terrifying neighborhoods to worry about than this location. The great room was comfy and food (bread, milk, fruit, etc.) was available 24 hours a day. Access to MUNI was very convenient and once we figured out that system, we had a fantastic time!

The only minor complaint I have is that there was some type of construction going on next to our room. It could be that Sauce's business neighbor was renovating their place or something. Oh well, at least they waited until 8am to use their hammers!

Now, on to the hauntings...after getting settled into our room for the night, my husband tells me that Janis Joplin actually lived in the room we were staying in for a year or two back in the 60's. I love anything spooky and happen to have a ghost radar app on my iphone (I'm a dork, I know but bear with me!). This particular app senses ghosts trying to communicate with us and flashes random words one at a time on the screen. The first word that popped up was "Texas". The second one was "Mama". We looked up Janis Joplin on Wikipedia and found out she was born in Texas. And those of you who are Janis Joplin fans know she recorded an album called "I Got Dem Ol' Kozmic Blues Again Mama!". Freaky, but SOOO cool!!!

All and all, we really loved this little place and can't wait to book the Haight Suite again in the near future. Until then, those of you who book this particular room, please tell Janis “Hello” for me!

Karie

Room Tip: This hotel may not be for everybody but it's great for those who love affordable and something d...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Karie S

Reviewed 25 July 2011

Original, nice design, welcoming rooms, friendly. Not enough silverware for full breakfast but a big and warmful common room.
Good place to visit SF.
Everything for a excellent stay

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank nsouchon
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We stayed at this litlle hotel at the end of our 20 days trip. It was very pleasant. How we were with two kids they gave us a large apartmente with two rooms. We arrived late at nite and they were very helpful providing us delicious food from the restaurand (Sauce) that is located just beside the hotel, even they dont have room service.

Room Tip: Ask the brigite room if you are with children
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank LQPANTOJA
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I stayed for 2 nights here for my second stay in San Francisco. The place is exactly what I was looking for: a nice and clean place, with an excellent bed and linen in a perfect location to explore the city. They have free wifi in the room and offer a free continental breakfast in the morning with fruits, cereals, different types of breads, jam, coffee or tea that you prepare yourself. This is also available during the day so that you can take an apple for the road. The restaurant downstairs is open from 5pm to 2 am and all the people there were very friendy and helpful in answering my questions.
It is close to the streetcar stops to go downtown and the area is nice with coffee shops and other restaurants. I would return there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2011

This little boutique hotel is in a great location in quaint hayes valley at the center of the San Francisco (without being in Union Square where you are overrun by tourists). It is also connected to Sauce, one of my favorite restaurants in the city. It is quiet and laid back, and has this great large shared living room if you want to chill outside of your hotel room that gives it a really homey feel. I have returned multiple times since my first visit. This is a really charming hotel.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2011

When I was living in San Jose my girlfriend was living up north so we would sometimes meet half way and when we did we stayed at sleep over sauce, named for the fact it sits over their award winning restaurant. It was like staying at a friends house who turned their place into a restaurant, bar and hotel. Apparently it is a family owned business and it feels like. It seemed that everyone there knew each other and the vibe was friendly and fun. When we made it to our room it was quite and cozy. The location is right in the heart of the city and walking distance to downtown.
I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2010

My husband and I stayed here while in San Fran in October. The staff could not have been more helpful, the rooms were clean and the location was fabulous! Also, it's above one of the best restaurants in San Fran - SAUCE! I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great place to stay.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple