“Basic budget stay”

Ranked #181 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
New York
“Basic budget stay”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I found Marina Inn on Tripadvisor, and despite some hesitation, I booked here because the location and price ultimately won out. Essentially, I found what was described by other reviewers to be, more or less, true: place is loud with the constant rumbling of Lombard Street; my sheet was stained; could hear the snorer in the room next door; and I did see a couple of ants in the bathroom.

Nonetheless, I would still recommend to those who are on a budget. The location is tops (a morning run along in the nearby marina towards Golden Gate Bridge and Palace of Fine Arts was a highlight for me on this trip). The Victorian decor was sweet. Room was cleaned everyday. And though the room was small, the bathroom was relatively huge.

I was a solo traveler, and would recommend to other solo travelers who are okay with trading luxuries for a decent stay at a great price.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Nova S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights. The accommodations were basic, but enjoyable! I liked the homey feel of the hotel. Two complaints-PARKING (there is absolutely no parking in the area. They need to work with another hotel and charge the guests to use the lot) and the BREAKFAST (it was a joke...pieces of bread piled up on a plate and hard boiled eggs). The room was kind of small, but we weren't in the room much except for sleeping and showering. Overall, the experience was nice. I doubt I would stay here again, it was too far from most of the touristy stuff. The girls at the front desk were friendly and helpful!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Murphys, California
Reviewed 17 February 2012

The price is what makes this hotel attractive. For about $50 you get a small, fairly clean room in a decent neighborhood. There is absolutely no parking available - anywhere! There are fun places to walk to and the neighborhood feels safe. The noise level is HORRIBLE, though. I felt as if I tried to sleep on a freeway overpass. I kept checking the window, certain that one of them must be open!! That, with the steady snoring of the person in the room next door made for a sleepless night. Free tea/coffee and juice was nice in the morning - although I wasn't interested in the white bread and jam set out. Would I return? Only if a was dead broke - I need my sleep too much!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank shopping2011
istanbul
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed between 23-27 january for 4 nights with our friends.
It is an old building.Amenities are very basic.There is no taking care of.Pretty dirty place.
Location is average, far to walk to the restaurants or entertaiments.
The reception staff was friendly.
Our room was small and very basic.Sheets and towels were dirty...almost gray.Carpets are filty.Noise made impossible to sleep.The old windows dont block the noise.
Closet size bathroom were difficult to use.
The breakfast was not appetizing and accually breakfast room smaller than our room.
İf you are on a budget and looking decency than ok.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This hotel has very different reviews on tripadvisor and google. We went ahead and booked for one night and extended for two more. The price was low enough to take some disadvantages. On the plus side; the staff was very friendly and helpful. Although the hotel offers no parking, they do work with a local travellodge. For ten dollars a night we parked the car at their motel (10-15 minute walking distance). The atmosphere of the hotel is very nice. Although the glory years seem to have passed, it still has character.

There were two major downsides though. We followed the advice from different reviews and asked for a room not facing Lombard street. We got one, but there were loud noises from the boiler room. Even more annoying; the heating is controlled by one thermostat for the entire hotel. We asked if the heat could be turned down for three times. In the middle of the night the room heated up again and it was really really hot! We asked if the heating could be turned off permanently, but it wasn't possible.

The main function of an hotel is to be able to sleep. The noise and heat made it quite impossible for us three nights in a row. If you go for cheap and character, Marina Inn is a good choice. But you should be the person how can lie down their head and sleep everywhere.

The breakfast consists of toast and boiled eggs. The coffee was nice (a bit stronger than the American average).

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RubenB_12
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Normally this hotel is a three in my book, but it's so difficult to find a good low-cost hotel in SF I gave it an extra bump. The breakfast is meager at best...just hard-boiled eggs and toast. Our room was also extraordinarily loud. If you're room is a 15 or 16 ask for a new room, those face Lombard Street, which is never silent. Normally it wouldn't bother me, but part of this hotel's charm is it's old fashioned look. Unfortunately it features old fashioned windows which don't block much noise. There's also no A/C, so we had to keep the windows open to stay cool and we could barely hear each other speak.

Those to poor points aside the hotel is actually quite nice. The staff was extremely helpful and polite. The hotel is not your fancy brand-name, but is still pleasant in it's styling. A BIG bonus goes to the area. There are plenty of cheap hotels in bad areas of San Francisco and this one is in a fantastic location. We never felt unsafe at night unlike other areas we saw on the airport shuttle where I wouldn't want to walk during the day. Overall I would stay here again...just not in the same room.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing Lombard!