Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
US$335
US$222
  • Pool
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
US$323
  • Bar/Lounge
US$229
US$209
  • Restaurant
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$227
US$289
US$265
  • Room Service
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
US$283
US$219
  • Restaurant
Fairmont San Francisco(San Francisco)
US$416
US$220
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$191
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
All reviewsbay bridgeferry buildinggreat locationexposed brickrooms are smallgiants gameexecutive suitefarmers marketbay view roomturn down servicerestaurant downstairsroom servicecomfortable bedfinancial districtvalet parkingeasy accessfront desk staff
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I stayed here with my wife over a weekend in December and it was perfect! Matt Swenson was most helpful during the reservation process. The location cannot be beat. We had a GREAT view of the bay bridge and directly across the street from the Ferry Building, where foodies gather for pretty much anything you desire! Service was spot on and the property was a lot nicer than we thought it would be from the web -- a pleasant surprise to say the least!

Room Tip: Bay view rooms!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JordanPelaez
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I spent three days at the Griffon Hotel in October with about 15 professional colleagues. The Griffon has an awesome history and story and its location in the Bay area, in the heart of everything, makes it a popular place to stay.

On first appearances the hotel, its distinct style (oriental impressions) and trendy, unpretentious vibe is indeed a winner, even if it is small. On closer inspection though, things start to crop up that make you reconsider whether this place is worth the money;

First thing- The hotel's front doors are always open. Trust me Brothers and Sisters, this is NOT a good idea; the smell of sewerage from the street invades the lobby and lingers around like an unwanted guest. What is even worse is the fact that the hotel's restaurant is right beside the lobby. Imagine getting a whiff of that as you sip your pinot and dig into your 'Catch Of The Day'...yummmmmmm.

Second- The rooms are small, as in, you literally cannot swing a cat in there (though beautifully designed) and poorly ventilated. The carpets smell musty and the window seat looks a little worn out and it sits above the super loud AC unit.

Third- I dont know about anyone else, but my window (on the third floor) was facing what i think was the fire escape (the window was foggy and made with that thick textured glass makes everything outside look all distorted like). So in addition to having no view, I also had no natural light coming into my room. I'm telling you, i would leave my room at around 8am, thinking it was gloomy outside because it was so dark in there. Imagine my surprise when i noticed that it was sunny outside!

The interior designer here was a clever one because to counter the gloom in the room, they installed an artificial 'natural light' just above the bed, to make dim wits like me feel like it was sunlight shining down from the heavens onto my face. Needless to say, when i discovered otherwise (i.e. a whole 5 minutes after coming into the room for the first time) i seriously was not impressed.

Fourth- The price was too high for such a small room, with musty carpets and no breakfast. I am especially cross about the no breakfast thing though. I am guessing, no, I am positive that guests at this hotel are actually paying for the location and the concept of awesomeness.

I will admit that from the looks of things, this hotel does have a certain charm to it, but i WILL NOT be caught paying this much for a hotel that clearly needs an upgrade, a facelift and some love.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank 100percentislandgirl
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent visit to the Hotel Griffon and for your candid comments. We are dismayed that you did not find the hotel a good value. Our historic waterfront property, dating back over 100 years, has some unique features that allow our visitors to encounter a truly San Francisco experience. Our location, being one block from the Ferry Building, combined with our warm and personal hospitality and superior design set us apart from the larger, more impersonal hotels and speaks to the heritage of our great city. We sincerely wish that your next visit to San Francisco will provide a more favorable experience and impression.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,
Hotel Griffon Management & Staff

Reviewed 7 November 2011

On the advice of fellow trip advisors, I asked for a view of the bay when I arrived at the hotel. The check-in clerk was happy to accomodate and this really made the stay. The room was very small, it had a king bed but I was traveling solo and it was a good thing, because I think two people in a room that size would have been very cramped. This is a good hotel to stay in for the location, it is close to the Ferry Building which has wonderful shops and food emporia and a farmer's market on the weekends. It is also walking distance to North Beach where I visited City Lights Bookstore and SOMA is close too where I visited the SFMOMA. The hotel has Perry's restaurant inside which is a very good restaurant. I enjoyed their chili immensely on a cold rainy day. Hotel staff provided great directions to and from the BART which cost me $6.80 each way to/from Oakland airport. That saved me a bundle over an estimated $60 taxi fare. The carpet in the room is a dark orange color and is just ugly and the people above me were a tad noisy. I should have complained about the noise but didn't so that is my fault. I'd say this is a great place to stay if you don't plan on spending much time in the room.

Room Tip: In addition to asking for a view of the bay, ask for a high floor. The hotel has 5 floors, I was on 2 and wished I was higher for the stunning views of the bay.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Stayed there 4 days in October 2011. Had a bayfront room, small but nice. Typically what you'd expect in this area. Area was great, close to F line cable cars which will get you everywhere else. View from room of Bay Bridge was fantastic. Staff was friendly. Only one issue- I awoke to a mouse on my night stand eating a granola bar I'd left there. Also realized that unusual noise I heard during night was a mouse dragging a sticky trap to free himself. Ruined a good stay.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank RealUSCfan
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent visit to the Hotel Griffon. Our deepest apologies for the incident that negatively affected your stay. The issue is certainly not indicative of our standards and we can assure you that the problem is being resolved. We have been working with the building next door, which is in transition between restaurants, to eradicate the issue. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you will consider the Hotel Griffon for future travels to San Francisco.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,
Hotel Griffon Management and Staff

Reviewed 12 October 2011

We chose the Griffon Hotel based on other reviews and the proximity to the Ferry Building. The location was fantastic and getting around was very easy as the trolley stop is only 50 feet away & the Ferry Building was literally across the street. Since we were catching an early ferry for a wine train trip this was very convenient. The rooms are tiny, but well appointed & comfortable; however if you are claustrophobic, be sure to request a room with a view! We didn't have one but were only there for 1 night. The staff was friendly & very helpful with restaurant recommendations & trolley schedules & routes. If I were staying there again, I would definitely request a room with a bay view.

Room Tip: Request a room facing street, preferably one with a bay view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple