“Classic San Francisco”

InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
Ranked #61 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Few places in San Francisco have a richer history than Nob Hill. The elegance of The Mark Hopkins is timeless. Decor is tastefully done and maintained. This is NOT a contemporary hotel; it's a place to revel in the style of the period and look out to all areas of the city and across the aby in every direction. A visit to the Top of the Mark lounge on the 19th floor is must. Over 100 martinis...

Room Tip: Grab yourself a delixe view room or better. The standard rooms are small.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,611)

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Long story short-The Assistant Manager "PATRICK" was good enough to upgrade our room due to a previous stay in a noisy room. He was very gracious and thoughtful. The room was looking out toward the East Bay and the night time view was great. The room itself was traditionally furnished (which we like) and very comfortable with a large bathroom and terrific shower. Very clean.

The staff at the Mark is always so nice and I always love pulling up to that great entrance upon our arrival. It's unique in San Francisco and recognizable in many films.

Why only 4 stars? The lobby could be improved. It has the potential for a grand space with soaring ceilings and an interesting configuration. In its' current look it's rather boring and could be utilized better. NOTE TO MANAGEMENT--call in the designers, put a good bar in the back and you'll have a space where people will want to linger. Lobby or not, The Mark Hopkins is my preferred hotel in San Francisco.

P.S. Almost forgot "The Top of The Mark" is, perhaps, the best place in the city for a "nightcap". A storied watering hole for many decades with a remarkable view.

Room Tip: As the hotel sits atop Nob Hill, any room in the upper floors will have a view. The building itself...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank T F
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We were looking for a deal on a nice hotel in SF and booked via Priceline. I was happy with my savings but probably would have been a little disappointed if I had paid full price. My guess is that they have certain rooms that are for priceline/discount customers. Our room was on the end of the hallway, and my husband feels that it was right next to a housekeeping room that he heard noises and music from during the night. However, it did not bother me as I didn't hear anything.

I felt like our room was nicely appointed. It was not overly spacious but not too small either- just right for two people. The bathroom was a little small, but that is probably due to it being a historic hotel. Again, it was fine for what we needed.

We were on the 7th floor and had a nice view of the Transamerica building and a little bit of the bay. I was happy that we were on the backside of the hotel, and therefore didn't have any problem with road noise or cable car noise as some other reviewers have noted.

I found that customer service when calling from outside the hotel (booking, etc) was a little lacking, but that the front desk staff, concierge, etc was very friendly and helpful during our stay.

One big tip if you want to save on parking- we parked in the Grace Cathedral parking garage (one block away) and paid half the cost of valet parking ($27).

This hotel is in a very nice quiet area and is on Nob Hill so you can get some great views. Don't miss taking a cable car ride either to or from the hotel down to fisherman's wharf. It is a really fun ride.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room (better views) on the back side of the hotel (to avoid road noise)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MIMom2Two
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Probably a slightly biaist review as my partner proposed to me on the last night of our stay so we've been on cloud 9.

Service: bottle of celebratory champagne arrived promptly and was delicious

Top of the Mark bar/restaurant: nice cocktails ($14) and tasty appetisers (we never ate a full meal there but from what we had it was good). Surprisingly casual bar so no need to dress up. Sat night a live band was playing pretty fresh and current music.

Rooms: comfortable and clean. Didn't feel as luxurious as the Inter Con in Manila but still a really great room.

Location: amazing, safe neighbourhood, close to many tourist attractions. Hotel even has a complimentary town car service you can use (pre-arrange with concierge).

Wifi: terrible I'm afraid - didn't work on our iPhones. Spent 40 min overall to IT support. Ended up getting a refund as it didn't work properly.

Overall: we'd definately stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Upon arrival and to the moment of departure, The Mark Hopkins Hotel is simply, First Rate in every way. You are cheerfully greeted by every staff member, every need is met, almost anticipated.

The down side is one must expect to pay rather dearly for this, so be prepared. $50+ per night for Valet Parking seems a bit stiff, as does the price of in room beverages and snacks, so I recommend they simply be avoided. This is San Francisco luxury, so expect to pay for it.

I would certainly recommend this Hotel to friends and I would enjoy staying here again.

Room Tip: Request a room on the highest floor possible. Slightly less "street noise"...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank DaShramp
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I stayed at the Mark Hopkins for three nights and from the moment at check in to our departure the service was impeccable. I was greeted by the assistant manager on arrival and given his business card. I had a room upgrade to a large suite and the view was spectacular. The hotel is a deco hotel and would not be to everyone's liking but the general feel was superb. It was my wedding anniversary whilst there and we received a special chocolate plate from the hotel and a bottle of champagne and this was above and beyond what we had expected. This kind of hotel is why I have been a loyal brand customer and they recognised my loyalty by offering a great service.

They only criticism I have was our visit to the top of the mark bar where we did get a nice view but were sat underneath the a/c which was freezing and then no one came to serve us. I did decide to leave after this because it was too cold and not being served, there was no point sitting there uncomfortable.

This did not detract from the fact both my wife and I had an amazing time at the hotel and would recommend it wholeheartedly

Room Tip: Get high room floor the views are spectacular across San Francisco
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ethixman
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I think the Mark Hopkins has lost its sparkle. The rooms are small with old furniture. However, they still keep the rooms clean. Service (especially Housekeeping) was really bad. Took them more than the usual time to respond. Area around the hotel is very dark at night. Not much restaurants in the area. You will have to go further down going to Union Square.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank yaynte
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

yaynte,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J