“I really wanted to love this hotel, but....”

Hotel Del Sol, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #52 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 May 2012

just simply can't. No one in our family of four slept well,(we were there 2 nights) and it's not entirely the hotel's fault. We stayed in 2 doubles, and they are doubles.

The room just always seemed dark and smelled musty, bathroom was very small, poor lighting. What really kept us from sleeping well was the sound level of the air conditioner kicking on and off....didn't want to not circulate the air because of 4 ppl. in a tiny room, however, it was quite annoying. They do have a fairly good-sized closet for storing suitcases, but if they didn't have that....yikes! No room whatsoever to maneuver.The pro's about this motel are clearly the staff.....kudo's to the front desk for always being polite and they had great restaurant suggestions. We did like the free parking and free wi-fi, which was a little weak, but not horrible. This is an interesting part of the city to explore while not being on noisy Lombard St. (which in that part of town isn't quaint---it's a highway!!) And we were so close to Lombard (1/2 block off of it really) but we did not hear traffic noise. Found good eats on "Chestnut" St. (2 blocks towards the water) because we were not looking for natl. chain restaurants and there were many small eateries that were hopping! I also awoke way too early one morning and the front desk clerk recommended just walking up the hill three blocks to Union St. (I believe) which was a very different vibe than Chestnut and a very safe neighborhood to walk in and felt a bit more upscale with pretty storefronts to amuse myself with. And early a.m. coffee shops! We did not partake in Hotel Del Sol's "free breakfast".....a big bowl of hard-boiled eggs and a toaster set up on a folding table....we chose to go elsewhere.
So, the work here is still in making the rooms not feel like the motel rooms they are, if at all possible....it's not the staff--they seem to have that down-pat. I would only stay here again to be in this particular neighborhood and didn't want to be on Lombard....sorry!

1  Thank terynnotkaren

Reviewed 10 April 2012

We have stayed at this hotel before in the summer and loved the location and layout. This time it was raining and damp and the hotel room had a distinct mildew smell and damp carpet. When another room was offered to us, it had the same problem. When we walked in to our original room, the bathroom window was open in an attempt to air out the room. We stayed one night and changed hotels for the rest of our stay. Very nice and helpful staff and a great location!

1  Thank CSCSCS
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We chose the Hotel del sol based on location, price, and the hotel's willingness to allow our family of 5 in one room. We were all unpleasantly surprised by the room's bad odor, ugly decor, odd layout, and how noisy it was. It was right on the street - and while I grant you we knew we were in a big city, this is a loud area filled with bars - so bar closing time brought loud people yelling and shouting - among other things. Top that off with our room being right above the hotel office--so we were also treated to the lobby music thumping through the ceiling ALL NIGHT LONG. The breakfast was OK, not great (no fruit, and one day ramdomly no juice either). The heated pool was still very cold, and only the hearty little ones could take it. I will say the location was terrific, the staff very nice, and the parking was adequate - and the overflow parking lot attendants were also very nice. The hotel really needs an overhaul and some attention to the guest experience - we ended up being disappointed with our experience at this hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not facing the street unless you enjoy the noise!!
1  Thank MidwestMagpie
Reviewed 6 April 2012

nice Joie de Vivre (Joy of life) redo work. It's fun to be in a classic road hotel that's clean and up to date. Wish they had a hot tub (vs. just a heated pool). Pleasant charming place. Short blocks from insider neighborhoods with great local SF fare and flare!

Room Tip: Walk 1.5 blocks N to Chestnut and 2 more blocks west to Pierce and you be in agreat local Marina Dis...
1  Thank moshisan
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This was our 2nd stay at the Hotel Del Sol (we stayed in May 2011 for 5 nights) so we knew what we would be getting. Customer service was just as good, if not better, than last time since we utilized more of the hotel’s amenities. We almost chose a different hotel because I was traveling to San Francisco for a 4-day convention at Moscone Center and thought I might want to be closer to the financial district. However, I found out that Hotel Del Sol offered complimentary car service to the financial district so I scheduled the service in advance for the days I’d be attending the convention. My driver, Andrew, was friendly and punctual and I’m very happy we decided to stay at Hotel del Sol instead of downtown San Francisco.

Check-in was friendly and took just a few minutes. When I called down to the front desk because they forgot to install a mini fridge in the room (we requested it in advance), Michael from the front desk was at our door in minutes with the mini fridge.
We stayed in a King room on the 3rd floor near the end of the hall. We didn’t experience any street noise but it’s easy to hear footsteps and the walls are a bit thin so you may hear your neighbors. If you have the heat or A/C on, you probably won’t notice too much noise. Also, FYI, if you want to sleep in, make sure to put the “Shhh” sign on your doorknob or the cleaning staff may wake you at 8:30am.
Breakfast is served daily from 7am-10am and was adequate for our needs but is not low-carb/gluten-free friendly so plan accordingly for your dietary needs. Daily breakfast included: hard-boiled eggs, oranges, an assortment of tasty NY-style bagels, some croissants and/or muffins/pastries, white bread, assorted single-serve cereals, oatmeal (assorted packets), coffee and hot water for tea or hot chocolate, orange juice, water and milk. Cream cheese, butter, jam and peanut butter are also available in single serve packets.
Every afternoon, Hotel del Sol offers freshly baked cookies with coffee/tea and milk near the check-in desk. It is a nice touch and the cookies (chocolate chip and macadamia white chocolate chip) are delicious!
Michael, Rick, and Andrew (driver) were exceptionally helpful during our 7-night stay at Hotel del Sol. Going out of their way to provide advice on local restaurants and attractions and even getting me a hot cup of tea after they had put the complimentary tea/coffee away for the night.
For those traveling with children, you may want to check out the DVD selection near the front desk. It’s not a very large variety of options but there are several kid-friendly videos to borrow to watch in your room.
Overall, Hotel del Sol’s customer service, location and amenities make it a great value! We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I wanted this hotel to be better. I should have tempered my expectation knowing that in the Marina district in San Fran, this was likely a converted Howard Johnsons. But I wonder why JDV stopped so short in their renovations.

Everything is just ok here. The room is ok. It smells like an old hotel. My son said "it smells like old people". And while you might find comfort in that, we didn't. The breakfast ok. Cramped in the small office space and you better get there early. The bathroom, not ok. There was obviously no renovation done on the bathrooms of this property. Ours was wicked small and felt incredibly dirty. The tile was original (read old and not so clean).

The location is great. Free parking is great. And it was pretty awesome to swim late March outside in SF. Unheard of. But I've stayed in other Joie de Vivre properties and this one just didn't measure up to their brand standards (I realize it's not the Vitale).

If you're going for family friendly, I'd shop around. We've stayed at Kimpton properties in the past and they treat a family right. Next time I'll shop more and not be fooled by the select photos on the website. Rookie mistake.

Room Tip: Choose the third floor for sure. We were on 2 and you could hear every step overhead.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank threetogo
Reviewed 28 March 2012

It felt more like a bed and breakfast. Cute room. Location good for me. Close to my family in Pacifc Heights and close to shopping and restaurants. Would have liked to be able to make first cup of coffee in my room. Would have liked a parking space reserved for my room. Courteous staff and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com