“Enjoying our staying”

Tilden Hotel
Ranked #99 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 October 2017

The hotbed is well located, very close to Hilton Hotel. The room was good and clean, I recommend it as a three star hotel. If breakfast was included it was much better. Everything is close. This hotel is in the center of SF

Room Tip: Come to the hotel, it's fine
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Kunal K, Front Office Manager at Tilden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Thank you for your feedback! We hope you're having a lovely time in the city

Reviewed 30 September 2017

Good weekend getaway staying at this hotel, and the staff was very friendly. Lobby attendant, Forrest, was very helpful and conversational. Not a lot of heavy lobby traffic, and someone was always downstairs to help out with information.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your compliments about our team and we look forward to your next getaway with us!

Reviewed 30 September 2017

I booked through Travelzoo and received a nice $20 to spend per day at the cafe and bar, and also a minibar credit. The on-site coffee shop and bar are cool stops. Rooms have modern updates and fixtures.

1  Thank Shannon F

Greetings Shannon,

Travelzoo's deals are really of great value for our guests and I'm glad you got to enjoy our restaurant & cafe. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 29 September 2017

This really felt like home away from home. Friendly, helpful staff. Excellent bar/restaurant. Convenient location to stores and shops. I would definitely stay here again! I'm from Michigan and we didn't really know what type of quality you get for the money in San Francisco. I ended up switching hotels midway through my trip and I really wish I had started here. There's no A/C, and I was here during an unusually hot month, but the ceiling fan was adequate. I prefer natural air rather than A/C.

Greetings Michele,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we are delighted to know how much you enjoyed every aspect of our hotel. We love your recommendation to keep it natural and wish you safe travels.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

Maybe an average rating is harsh but then they do claim to be 4 star hotel and it's on that basis I've come to this conclusion. You'll hear a lot about the location and yes, a walk down Taylor to Market will certainly open your eyes if you are not used to the "varied sensibilities" (as the hotel puts it) of the Tenderloin. On the other hand a walk toward Union Square is only a short distance away and you are in the heart of downtown San Francisco.

The hotel reception area is certainly well kept and a good standard. The adjoining Douglas Room offers a good selection of drinks and food and friendly bartending staff and the Taylor St Cafe serves up the wonderful Equator coffee - although for a decent breakfast I would recommend the short walk to Cafe Mason. All the hotel staff were also very friendly, courteous and helpful.

Now then - the lift? It's small and there is is only one. This often means a queue at peak times and the cleaners and maintenance staff also use the same lift. This hotel is all about compromise and the lift is a example of this and one of the 2 star elements of this hotel. In fact once you leave the reception area the hotel is generally 3 star in many respects.

I had a King room and it was clean and spacious but very basic but (back to the compromise) a small walk in cupboard was the only storage space I had. I was there for a week and so ended up living out of my suitcase as there were no other drawers in which to store my clothes. The bed was comfortable but the TV (which I rarely watched) had a very small selection of non-HD channels. The walls are also very thin so on occasion you will hear your neighbours discussing the days events. The bathroom was very clean but basic and very small with only two very small glass shelves for storage.

All in all the hotel is well managed but the rooms do need a refurb. The owners do a good job of keeping the hotel clean and comfortable and if you are staying for a few days then this hotel is probably ideal. Any longer though and you'll start to find the compromises a bit annoying.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Kunal K, Front Office Manager at Tilden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

Greetings Munaf,

We welcome your feedback and suggestions for adding the necessary storage that would help lengthy stays. These items are already in the works and soon, there will not be any need to compromise while you stay at the Tilden. We hope you give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

I live in the SF bay area and stayed overnight at this hotel. It was a quick trip, so i did not use every amenity the hotel offers. It is clean and has a sorry of quirky modern style. The bed was comfortable. Everyone on staff i interacted with was very nice and helpful. Location was handy for me. The quickest way to South of Market attractions like Westfield Shopping, Metreon, SFMOMA, etc is Ellis Street. This is a quick walk but has some sketchy areas. In the other direction, it's a quick walk to the theatres and galleries on Geary, and then to Union Square. Lots of good restaurants around. SF still has a sad homeless problem, and you will be confronted with this on every corner. There's no escaping it downtown no matter where you stay.

Room Tip: quiet, city view on high floor in the back. On Jones all you see is the grey monolith of the giant H...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your honest review and we agree with you on your assessment of the homeless situation in the city. Hope to see you again on your next visit to SF.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

I arrived on a hot summer day in SF. After getting to my room, I was overwhelmed by the smell of BO. I called the front desk to ask for a new room (which they accommodated, they were very nice) but then realized none of the rooms had air-conditioning and all were very stuffy (80+ in the rooms).
Besides that, I just didn't feel safe there. Nothing specific happened but I've stayed in quite a few hotels and something about this one left me (a woman traveling alone) uneasy. I canceled my reservation and found another hotel to stay at for the week.

2  Thank Jennifer D

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience and I do understand that even with our best ability to get you the most comfortable accommodations possible, you always have a choice. Thank you for trying us out and hopefully you will choose to return as it's mostly mild and pleasant in terms of the weather in the city.