“Price Keeps Going Up, Service Keeps Coming Down”

Chef Hung's Restaurant
Ranked #1,828 of 6,272 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed July 24, 2017

I have been lunching here even before the present owners took over and the last few years, not only have prices kept going up (understandable due to the increase in minimum wage in San Francisco), the quality of service and food keeps going down. But I guess this restaurant's been getting decent Yelp reviews because I'm also seeing an increase in tourists dining here. Their waiting staff is really a joke! Consisting of 2 waitresses and the female owner (who helps out when it gets busy), things are fine and dandy on a slow day. When it gets busy (like right now during tourist season), expect slow and grouchy service. Ask a waitress for a fork? She'll tell you to reach over to the empty table and get one yourself. Want a tea pot refill? The tea pot is not returned until reminded. Brought you an order that's close to what you ordered but not exactly? You're accused of ordering exactly what was brought to you (so it's not their fault). It takes a certain amount of patience and tolerance to keep coming here and I guess habits are hard to change. So my group will keep coming until that one intolerable incident pushes us over the hump and out the door!

Reviewed July 17, 2017

We went to this restaurant because of the reviews we saw online. The reviews were very, very wrong. They ignored us the entire evening. From the moment we sat down it took forever to order drinks and food. They brought out the food sporatically And when we asked for the check they still ignored us.

The soda came in cans which is not a big deal but when I ordered an iced tea they said they didn't have any. My daughter had to walk over and point out the iced tea in the refrigerator. All of the drinks were warm.

It took so long to order food that my daughter walked out before ordering any food. The egg rolls were burnt and very greasy. I ordered the chicken egg foo young and was served vegetable egg foo young. My wife ordered chicken chow mein and got chicken lo mein, this came about 5 to 10 minutes after I was served my dinner. My son ordered the Spare ribs in a black bean sauce. It came out over 30 minutes after they brought out my dinner. And the ribs had little to no meat on them.

Stay away

Reviewed July 15, 2017

This seems pretty close to authentic Chinese (I am thinking of the food at state run hotels outside of Beijing or Qingdao). I was the only non-Asian there. Food was bland despite ordering a szechuan meal. Ambiance is basically a dive. Not a good value. Open late.

Reviewed June 4, 2017 via mobile

If the locals eat there it can't be all bad! Just enjoyed a really tasty dinner for 4 with way more than you could realistically eat including drinks for $85 including tip! Decor is basic but staff really pleasant and couldn't find any fault whatsoever with the food!

Would recommend if you want cheap and cheerful and would definitely go back

Reviewed June 1, 2017

When in Chinatown stop in for some amazing authentic Chinese Food here. You know it is good when you walk in and the place is about 98% full. The service was great as well. Thank you.