“Food Average, Serivce below average”

Green Papaya Restaurant
Ranked #1,231 of 5,939 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Sushi, Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: SoMa
Description: Green Papaya Restaurant is a family-owned and operated Vietnamese Cuisine. We use the finest ingredients and our food uses very little to no MSG and we can create dishes using Gluten-Free substances. We also offer a variety of vegan meals. Green Papaya is located around the corner of Moscone West Convention Center and Marriott Hotel. There is parking with 2,500 spaces adjacent to our restaurant across the street from San Francisco Westfield Shopping Center.
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Food was okay, not the best Pho. The service is not exist. No one greets you when you walk in, I ended up find a seat myself. Wait for 5 minutes, finally someone acknowledged me and took order. When I am ready to pay, they have a policy where they only accept Credit card if amount is greater than $15.00. Thankfully I have enough cash to cover my bill. Overall, I will not go back to this restaurant again.

1  Thank Air747

Reviewed August 9, 2011

No menu in the window.
Lots of flashing lights and street side signs.
Sushi Train? In a Vietnamese Restaurant?
I have been in HKG six times...I have been in a REAL Japanese TRAIN in HKG restaurant. I know what is a REAL Sushi Train.
I have spent time in Vietnam (one week), China (3 months), and Thailand (18 months)
Therefore, I walked on by.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

we chose this place because of the sushi train for our kids. We ended up being pleasantly surprised with authentic Vietnamese food. The pho was pretty good, the goi cuon (spring rolls) were fresh and excellent, and the papaya salad was satisfying. It was also nice to see Beer Lao on the menu. The sushi is very average, so stick to the Vietnamese food. Service was courteous.

Reviewed January 28, 2011

I was in town for the Winter Fancy Foods Show at the Moscone Center. Small, ethnic restaurants are always on my travel menu, so I had walked the area looking for options the day before. I was on my way to a Filipino diner for lunch when I paused at the Green Papaya storefront. I wanted to hit a Vietnamese place sometime during my visit and didn't know when else I would have time so stopped short and went in.

Mistake - not a huge mistake, but a mistake. Everything I'm looking for in a Vietnamese diner was lacking. The fresh spring roll was short of fresh and had a funky, this-cilantro-is-on-the-way-out finish. The ginger glazed sea bass was overcooked and lacked badly needed acidity. The rice was gummy. Not sticky rice good-gummy, but overcooked jasmine gummy. The broccoli side was undercooked and the whole plate said nobody in the kitchen cared. Not inexpensive, either. Total tab was about $35 including tip for decent service.

Reviewed August 8, 2010

Food was ok but had a coffee shop feel due to the sparse decor & furniture