“Muir Woods & Wine Tasting - Very nice tour with a personable guide”

Best Bay Area Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
US$99.00*
and up
Small Group Muir Woods and Wine Country Tour
Ranked #25 of 284 Tours in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Best Bay Area Tours!!! WE ARE OPEN TO INDIVIDUALS and THE PUBLIC!!! We are a fun and affordable tour company operating in and around beautiful San Francisco California. We offer a variety of tour options. We feature small group tours - no large overcrowded groups at Best Bay Area Tours. Best Bay Area Tours is an experienced tour operator with many years in the San Francisco area. Let us take you on one or more of our exciting adventures.
Busan, South Korea
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Muir Woods & Wine Tasting - Very nice tour with a personable guide”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Let me start by saying that we were fortunate to get a personal tour since it is the low season. Also, the weather was gorgeous for us all day.

Our first stop was Muir woods ($5/person fee not included in tour price). Our tour guide, Alan, gave us some space as a couple but also rejoined us to point out interesting parts of the park. He explained the paths and how to navigate around the reconstruction zone in Muir woods. Of course, he was also available to take photos for us. He even took photos for others not on his tour. Just an all around nice guy.

We stopped for lunch at the Cheese Factory in Sonoma. We were not given a choice of where to eat in Sonoma but the Cheese Factory was fine and even had free samples of cheese and fudge.

The wine tasting part of the tour went to three different and unique vineyards. All were beautiful (for the time of year) and nice in their own way. Let me add that wine tasting is not our thing. However, we never felt any condescension from the tour guide or wine tasting vineyards. They even cured much of our vino-ignorance.

On the way back into San Francisco, we stopped at an overlook to take pictures with the golden gate bridge.

6 Thank JoeR11

Huntsville, AL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Best Tour in the City”
Reviewed 19 November 2011

My friend and I were in San Francisco in early November for the US Half Marathon. Only having a few days, we wanted to do the things that would have the most impact. For us, visiting the Sonoma area was at the top of our list. After reviewing the different tour companies on trip TripAdvisor, we chose Best Bay Area Tours. We were not disappointed. We originally wanted to do the Muir Woods/Sonoma tour. It happened that the day we wanted to go, that particular tour was not offered. Alan, company owner and tour guide extraordinaire, worked with us and found a tour for us that was comparable and in the same price range. We ended up choosing the cheese and wine tour that included the creamery in Petaluma before heading into Sonoma to visit three wineries. It was the best spent day of our trip. Alan was a perfect guide. He has relationships with winery operators so you are not left waiting for space at the bar for your tasting. We were taken right away at each of the three we visited. Alan will also act as photographer at picturesque spots along the journey. Again, we could not have asked for a better tour or a better guide. Thank you Alan! (BTW, our race went great!)

6 Thank skipper262
West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best Day in San Francisco”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I really wanted to get my money's worth and have a great time on a trip to Muir Woods and Wine Country. Based on the reviews here, I chose Best Bay Area Tours. I'm so glad I did! My boyfriend actually had fun and thought it was our best day in San Francisco.

Alan was actually early to our hotel, so we got on our way right away. There was only one other couple on the tour that day, so we had a very intimate experience. We stopped at the Golden Gate Bridge both on the way and way back from our tour, so we have pictures from all angles. On the way to the woods, we drove through Sausalito, which looked very cute.

We got to Muir Woods at the perfect time (before all of the tour groups). It was quite chilly, so I'd suggest a jacket. Per Alan's suggestion, we took the Hillside Trail. I was a little nervous hiking, but it was so worth it. It felt like we were the only people in the woods, far above the other trail. We escaped through the approaching tour groups to make our way to Sonoma.

The first winery was Cline Cellars. I had never been to a winery before, so I was very impressed by the servers. They were very friendly and may have even given us a few free tastes. I ended up buying a bottle there, which included a discount for our tour group. We had a few minutes to walk around the winery, so I took some pictures of the miniature donkeys they raise there.

For lunch, we went to the Sonoma Cheese Factory. After placing our order, we got to sample a bunch of cheeses, some fudge, and even a bit of gelato. We even had a few minutes to look around the town.

The next winery was Larson Family Winery. It was a very intimate place, with friendly employees, as well as a sweet dog roaming around. Their specialty there is Three Lab Cab wine. We actually got to walk through the vineyard there. Alan even picked off some grapes for us to try!

The final stop was Jacuzzi Family Vineyards. The building and surrounding land was just beautiful. We spent most of our time roaming around the shop and outside taking pictures.

All throughout our drive, Alan told us stories of San Francisco and the areas we were traveling to. He played a bunch of San Franciso themed songs on the way home, which was very relaxing to complete the day. I highly recommend this tour. If I ever go back to San Francisco, I will be sure to check out one of his other tours...or even repeat this one!

Visited October 2011
7 Thank Rebecca S
Hillsdale, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Alan is extremely personable and his passion for San Francisco is very evident”
Reviewed 12 November 2011

We spent a full day with Alan, touring both Muir Woods and Sausalito in the AM and San Francisco in the afternoon. The day before the tour I told him that my wife and I wanted to visit a childhood friend of mine for lunch and he seemlessly made that happen. It's clear that Alan loves San Francisco. He shares a wealth of information and balances it with a great sense of humor. Overall, this tour was the hilight of our trip.

4 Thank Doug G
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great tour from San Francisco”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Alan gave my husband and I the best day ever in San Francisco. He was very knowledgeable of the city and his tour included extras that we had never imagined. From Muir Woods to the wine country of Sonoma, the tour proved to be everything we expected and more. If you're looking for a private tour that's a great value this is the way to go.

4 Thank EWWhite