“Amazing value in Union Square area”
Review of The Orchard Hotel

The Orchard Hotel
Ranked #11 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Carmel
“Amazing value in Union Square area”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We really enjoyed our one-night stay in a king suite at this hotel, in a super location a block from Union Square. Staff was extraordinarily friendly, room was gorgeous (felt like the $800/night suite we stayed in at Mark Hopkins), and service was outstanding. The bathroom is HUGE!!! Highly recommended; it deserves all the great reviews it's been getting.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper and want a king suite (2 room suite with pull out couch) you are out of l...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 31 March 2012

This is my second stay at The Orchard, for six nights and on a lower floor in room 204. I'm picky about hotels and can tell you there is value for your money here! Our window faces Bush Street but the room is surprisingly quiet for being almost ground level. The room is spacious, clean, adequate lighting, with all amenities that you need--bar niche with refrig. and complimentary coffee & tea, large and nice bathroom, ultra comfortable featherbed & down pillows, free wifi. Hallways are bright and clean. Go downstairs and the hotel personnel are friendly and helpful. There is a restaurant off the lobby. Orchard is located half-way up Nob Hill, very close to Union Square, an excellent location. The walk is a bit of a climb back up to the hotel, but not worth complaining about. I feel at home here! San Francisco hotel rooms are typically small, so this hotel, coupled with reasonable rates, is a stand out.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TrishHWashington_DC
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2012

The Orchard is a great hotel conveniently located in Union Square. From the warm welcome of the doorman, to the attentive service from the front desk staff, my first impressions were fantastic. I was pleasantly surprised by the generous room and tasteful decor. A quiet hotel, yet right in the heart of the action. Would recommend the Orchard Hotel to anyone and look forward to staying there on my next visit to San Francisco.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My wife and I had a great stay for six nights at the Orchard Hotel. My only complaint was it was up a hill with a steep grade, but only for the 1 block ... but that was not the hotel's fault, but keep in mind if you have difficulty walking up hills. The room was superb with a great view onto Bush Street. You could hear the cable cars running on the Mason-Powell Line / Mason-Hyde Line ... but it was not loud enough to be a bother and they shut down later in the evening. Bed was good, room was clean and house keeping did a great job as did the doorman / conceirage with friendly chat and advice. We did not use the restaurant, but there are a number of cafe's and restaurants in the area. If your environmentally aware, the hotel does not provide free papers (which I hate anyway, as I never have time to read them and they always hit the waste bin when travelling) and the building is LEED certified (although I have not followed up as to what catagory and level). All in all, not complaints. It is a very good location to access the city by either cable car / trolley / bus or taxi.

Room Tip: Did need A/C during stay ... but it seems to be central, not a window unit. Heat was forced air an...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Canadiantraveller027
Fresno
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed at The Orchard in March, 2012 for two nights for business/personal. After much research, I decided The Orchard was reasonably priced (for San Francisco) and well located. I wanted access to the hotspots of The City without being in the middle of crazed tourisits. I am thrilled with my experience at The Orchard from the large room and wonderfully updated and HUGE bathroom (again, for San Francisco). I have stayed at many a "boutique" hotel that were absolutely tiny but so opposite at The Orchard. Chinatown and Union Square are both within walking distance and you can get a great work-out from those hills. Chinatown is 2 blocks away and if you go straight through the neigborhood across the street from the hotel, the hill(s) and stairs are exactly what you need before hitting an authentic Chinese restaurant and bakery! Remember, look for the restaurants who serve the local culture, not the tourist traps in ethnic neighborhoods. You will have a much better, inexpensive, and friendly experience. We chose to valet park our vehicle at The Orchard. We simply needed to leave and come back once a day so felt it would be easier to spend the $45 ($40 + $5 parking tax) to have it parked for us. If you choose to use valet, call down for your car 15 minutes before you are ready to leave. One morning, it took them 20 minutes to retrieve our car (even though we pre-called) and the next morning it only took 10 minutes. They will call your room if the car is ready before you come downstairs. I always request the highest floor possbile when traveling. I like a view and I like quiet. We were on the 10th floor on opposite end of hotel from Bush/Powell corner and I was shocked at how quiet our room was. Quieter than my house and noise from my neighborhood! I can't say enough good things about The Orchard Hotel and I look forward to staying there again in a few months!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 March 2012 via mobile

The hotel is comfortable and clean and inexpensive. The rooms are spacious with a wonderful bathroom. We enjoyed very personal service from our concierge/doorman. The hotel is just 2 blocks from Union Square and right on the cable car line.

Stayed March 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 24 March 2012

My hubby and I just spent two nights at the Orchard hotel and almost all of our experience was fabulous! Only bad part...at check in the lady looked right into my husband's eyes and asked if he would like his "lady friend" (that would be me who he has been married to for 10 years) to have a key to the room. Note to Orchard: DO NOT ever call wives lady friends! Besides that the location, room, and doorman were wonderful!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple