“Upscale Hotel in the Heart of the City”
Review of The Orchard Hotel

The Orchard Hotel
Ranked #17 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 March 2016 via mobile

We had to visit the city for a same day outpatient procedure and the office was right around the corner from the hotel. The Orchard Hotel filled all our needs perfectly. Everything was clean, comfortable and the staff were attentive and helpful. We dined at a nearby Italian restaurant which was superb and walked the streets surrounding our hotel. The mall is very close as well and a nearby pharmacy. Whether you are staying for vacation or on business you will find this hotel a perfect place to stay!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Collins C, Manager at The Orchard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2016

It's wonderful to know that our hotel could serve all your needs during your quick visit to San Francisco. I hope the procedure was a success and hope to have you back next time you’re in the area for either business or pleasure.

Collins C., Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,892)

Reviewed 9 March 2016

Too bad I can't give a half star because this felt more like a 3 1/2 experience. I would never label this as "luxury" unless luxury in SF is defined differently than other places. The hotel was acceptable. Room was OK and I happened to have a very quiet room Hotel Noise-Wise. Pillows and bed were comfortable. Problems were: I was in the back across from the Art University which held classes with windows that looked into my room. Felt like I had to keep the curtains drawn whenever I was there. The lighting was VERY dim. So, not only a lack of natural lighting (even if the curtains were opened, buildings blocked the sun,) but the light bulbs and few lamps just didn't do the trick. The bathroom had its flaws too. There were no drawers or shelves to put my "stuff," so I had to put everything on top of the vanity, or in my bag. Same thing with the shower.......no place to put a razor and my other items..........I think they're very up front in that they have a Cardio Room to workout in, but again, it overlooks that Art Academy. Lastly, given that Powell St. is just a few steps away, from where I was located I could hear the Cable Cars going up and down. Honestly, it didn't bother me that much, but might bother others. Pluses: The staff is VERY accommodating and friendly. If you want a hotel in that area, it's a good choice. I wouldn't stay here again mostly due to the fact that I would want to stay in a different part of the city having "done" that area.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Li C

Our central, downtown location does provide limitations when it comes to city noise and natural light, and I apologize for any frustration you were caused by these factors, Li. I know that most guests are used to the extra storage space of home, so I also apologize for any inconvenience you were caused by our bathroom set-up. These points aside, I hope you had a nice visit to San Francisco and thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay.

Reviewed 8 March 2016

We spent a couple of nights in San Francisco at the end of a business trip and located a good deal for the Orchard Hotel on Expedia for TD. With the $CDN the way it is right now, we needed every break we could!

Sometimes Expedia specials are hit and miss, but in this case the hotel was amazing. We arrived in the morning expecting to just drop of luggage and head out for the day, but the room was ready for us, which made the day all that much better.

The room was large and well appointed, with a nice mini-bar fridge with enough space to put a few store-bought items.

The washroom was amazing...large and very well organized with lots of towels and great amenities.

All this was made even better by the staff who were all friendly and helpful, right down to housekeeping, who notice a light out in the bathroom (which we didn't) and had it replaced before we noticed.

We will definitely return to the Orchard, as soon as the dollar gets closer to par

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Collins C, Owner at The Orchard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2016

I'm so glad that you are now aware of us! Next time you can book directly with us for the best price. It's wonderful to know that our place was a comfortable and accommodating spot to call home during your visit, and we look forward to having you back next time you're in the states.

Until then,

Reviewed 4 March 2016 via mobile

The hotel is quite small and has excellent service. The price level: highly inflated, but that was a function of the market given the many conferences in town during the week of my stay. On the other hand, I did not see many other guests. The rooms were okay, and quite large. But I do not fancy showering in a bathtub at this price level. Backyard view. Also, the personell always turned off the fan, this should be automatic in 2016 near the Silicon Valley.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Frank M
Collins C, Manager at The Orchard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2016

While our prices are on par with similar hotels in the area, I'm sorry if your room rate was a little higher than you would have liked, Frank. We do our best to make our guests feel comfortable in their room, and I apologize for any small areas where we may have fallen short. Overall, it sounds like you had a pleasant visit, and we thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay. We'd love to have you back next time you're in the area!

Reviewed 1 March 2016

Very comfortable hotel and in an ideal location, minutes away from Union Square.
No tea and coffee facilities in the room, but available in hotel reception.
Plenty of restaurants around without wandering too far and a mini supermarket a couple of doors down.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LandS21
Collins C, Manager at The Orchard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2016

I'm glad you chose to call our place home during your visit to San Francisco! It sounds like you had fun exploring the city's restaurants, and we'd love to have you back next time you're traveling through the area.

Reviewed 27 February 2016

The Orchard is a very nice hotel close to small cafes and restaurants. My sister and I had a spacious, up-to-date room. The hotel is very close to Chinatown and Union Square. The only drawback is that it's uphill from Union Square.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Collins C, Manager at The Orchard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2016

Those San Francisco hills sure are tough -- even for us natives! I hope you didn't have too much trouble walking back to the hotel from Union Square and applaud you and your sister for making the trek. It sounds like you two had a lovely visit to the City by the Bay, and we hope to have you back next time you're in the area.

Until then,

Reviewed 24 February 2016

Stayed for two nights for a business/pleasure trip with my (8 month pregnant) wife.

Good: Staff was extremely friendly, generally went the extra mile to help us. The night doorman / concierge Sergio was especially helpful. The desk staff was always very pleasant and helpful. Twice I needed to book taxis/cars the night before for the subsequent morning and the staff was very good about dealing with this: the cars arrived slightly early both times. Location was excellent, near union square and Chinatown as well as a number of restaurants and shops. Public transport was pretty close by as well.
We had a room with a single king bed. Upon check-in, due to my wife being pregnant, I requested a room with a walk-in shower, which they fulfilled quickly and easily. The room was generally in good condition. Not huge, but clean and relatively well appointed. The free WiFi worked well in our 4th floor room (even for streaming TV which my wife did). There was also a mini-fridge which was very useful. We had a view right on the street and although heard some general city noises, it was overall relatively quiet.

The bad: We had only one minor quibble. After the first night we were there, I was out on business all day and my wife walked around the city for several hours, first from early morning until about 11:30, and then shortly after until 4 pm in the afternoon. Neither time did they clean the room. When she came back at 4 pm, almost immediately after she came back she was asked in the room if they could clean then or in another half hour, despite her putting the "do not disturb" sign on the door. She then told them she was OK with not having the room cleaned and went back to sleep. The next day, when we were packing to check out, a cleaning person again knocked on the door to ask if they could clean the room even though we were checking out in about 1-1.5 hours (and check out time was not for another 2 hours). So I think they could use some better coordination with their cleaning staff.

Other: Did not use the on-site gym or try the on-site restaurant, so have no comment on either.

In summary we had an overall very pleasant stay, and, for San Francisco, I thought the price was reasonable for the amenities and service we received. I would likely stay there again if travelling to San Francisco.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank mbaltman
Collins C, Manager at The Orchard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2016

The last thing we want is to cause our guests any kind of disturbance, so I'm very sorry if our cleaning schedule did not coincide with your personal schedule and regret any frustration you were caused as a result. That aside, I'm glad you found our accommodations to be comfortable and the staff to be helpful during your quick visit to San Francisco. Thanks for choosing our hotel for your stay, and I look forward to having you back next time you're in the area!