“Great stay; I could overlook minor issues for only $80 a night”

Marines Memorial Club Hotel
Ranked #10 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We recently stayed at MMC for the first time the week before Christmas with my husband and two sons, who are 6 years old. By showing my husband's military ID when we checked in, our rate was reduced from $199 per night to $80 per night. What a great value! This price included our room which was adequately sized (by downtown San Francisco standards) and a buffet breakfast each morning on the 12th floor with a great view of downtown SF. For $27 a night, we parked our car in a garage which was about 50 yards up the street. Again, this was a great value, as most hotels in the surrounding area charged upwards of $50 per night to park a car. Our room included bathrobes, two double beds, an alarm clock, a coffee maker, a small fridge, and a hairdryer in the bathroom. The room did not have a DVD player and the pay-per-view movies were incredibly expensive, which was sort of a bummer for my sons. Also, our window looked directly out to a brick wall of the hotel next door. Some of the interior of the hotel was a little dated, and the nightly happy hour was always too crowded for us to attend. At $80 a night, I can't really call any of these things "complaints" because it's easy to overlook minor issues when you're getting such a deal. Had we paid the full rate, I would have wanted a nicer view and expected some nicer finishes here and there in our room and the common areas of the hotel. The only major reservation I have about recommending this hotel to people is that it wasn't the most comfortable place to stay with small children. My kids are pretty well behaved, and we travel with them a lot, but I still found myself "shushing" them and telling them to be quiet, sit up straight; etc. The hotel is frequented largely by retired military, and there weren't a whole lot of families there. This made the atmosphere feel a little stuffy. As a matter of fact, one morning, the breakfast buffet was especially crowded, and after we finished eating and got back on the elevator, one lady in the elevator remarked to another that the buffet was too crowded because "there were a lot of families in the hotel right now". I kept my mouth shut, but I actually thought it was the older folks up there drinking their coffees and reading newspapers that slowed things down. If you've ever eaten at a restaurant with small kids, you know that families usually eat and leave, and don't dawdle at the table. Plus, there were really only 3 or 4 small families of 4 in the dining room (including ours) during the time that we were there for breakfast. Her comment let me know that even a small amount of smaller sized families was an anomaly for the MMC hotel. Bearing that in mind, we will definitely go back to MMC again. The location was so great (we walked to Union Square to go ice skating) that you end up not spending a lot of time in the hotel, so even though it wasn't the most kid-friendly hotel, we still enjoyed our stay and will be back.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank brettandanne

Reviewed 29 December 2011

Great hotel in the heart of San Francisco. Nice rooms with free happy hour in the bar

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank debed-ILLINOIS
Reviewed 23 December 2011

If you are active duty expect to pay 40% less than everyone as long as you show your active duty I.D. This place is clean, spacious, comfortable beds, free happy hour from 4-6 and free full on breakfast buffet. The food is amazing!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelfoster
Reviewed 22 December 2011

This is very near Union Square, a cable car stop and a bus stop. It is a very short walk to shopping and dining in the Union Square district. Some of the rooms are small but very clean and with very good beds and bedding.They have a hosted happy hour every nigh from 4 to 6 pm. A full buffett breakfast is served every morning. You have free access to a gym and indooor pool which is accessible withut going outside the building. Service is outstanding. We look forwrd to going here at least twice a year.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We stayed at the Marine Memorial Club the week of Thanksgiving, and it was one of the best overall hotels that I have ever stayed at. The location is two blocks from Union Square shopping and three blocks to Chinatown. It is also waliking distance to Market street where you can catch a variety of public transportation and go all over the city. We didn't rent a car, but they do have parking for the hotel. We upgraded to the king bedroom, and although the rooms aren't huge, everything that you want was there, and of nice quality. The complementary breakfast buffet was one of the best with a good variety of choices. Happy (two) hours was also outstanding, and given the cost of drinks in SF, a great value. Both of the previous are on the top floor and the view is great. Across the board, the staff was extemely friendly and helpful, especially the bell staff, who answered our many questions about the city. We also liked the military history displays and the large library of military topics.

Room Tip: Laundry facilities are on the fourth and sixth floors.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eric W
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Marines Memorial Club is a hidden Gem in San Francisco. The hotel had a very reasonable rate, good location, and free breakfast and happy hour. The room and bed were comfortable. The only downside to the hotel was the smallness of the room and bathroom; however, larger rooms would easily cost >$150-200. Otherwise, everything was fantastic. I appreciated the environmental sensitivity of the hotel and the courteousness of the hotel staff. I will definitely stay here again for my next conference at Moscone Center.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I've stayed at half dozen different boutique hotes in S.F. and this is by far the best on every level. Location is great, just two blocks from Union Square. The rate, which was competitive, includes a full breakfast buffet, an open bar happy hour (actually two hours), and use of a full fitness club complete with lap-swimming pool. My corner room had excellent views, and no internal noise (of course street noise is part of the downtown S.F. landscape), The room was very clean, nicely appointed, and very comfortable. The service was excellent. I am not military, but enjoyed the numerous Marines Memorial Association displays. I would definitely recommend MMCH and plan to stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a corner room
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business