“Christmas at Marines Memorial Club”

Marines Memorial Club Hotel
Ranked #10 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I've been an out-of-town member of Marines since the '50s and stay there every time I'm in San Francisco. I regard it as the best hotel bargain in San Francisco particularly as its rates relate to the hotel's amenities. I stayed there from December 22 through December 26, 2012. Was only able to book a regular room rather than one of its corner rooms which I really like. Nonetheless this room was fine and included a refrigerator, a coffee maker, a room safe, a large flat screen TV with a decent selection of channels for a change. Also for an old building it now has an excellent thermostatically controlled heating and air conditioning system. Hard to beat its rather extensive complimentary breakfast as additional amenity. While I didn't attend happy hour for those who do what a bargain. Haven't tried dinner there either. Too many excellent restaurants in San Francisco to try first. I have noticed that Cesario's Italian restaurant next door seems to be doing well [better than on previous trips] in the evening and think perhaps it warrants a try on a future trip. All and all a great hotel bargain with good amenities and a superb location.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms located facing Sutter or Mason streets. They can be noisy late into the evening; Ask f...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank rosscannon

Reviewed 16 December 2012

If you have the right to stay here you will enjoy it. Location is ideal for much of San Francisco access, and just a few blocks from the Powell Stree BART Station (~8.50 from the airport for one way fare). Back here for the first time in about six years, first time while no longer on active duty, and the room was just a wee bit long in tooth. Kept immaculately clean. Rooms with free wi-fi and room safe (no extra charge for using the safe, unlike some places that sneak it onto the bill). Membership is free for those still serving in the military, and annual membership ($150/year) required to be able to stay at the club once retired/off active duty. Membership also provides reciprocal benefits to a number of other clubs across the US and globally. Only room downside, besides limited counter space, that hadn't noticed when in other rooms, was some street noise, though was on the 7th floor, so it may be a function of which street the room faced.
Staff was all very courteous and professional. Breakfast was wonderful and the view over the city is amazing. Menu changed just a little from day to day.
Enjoyed going to the historical library each day to read the NY Times, Navy Times, etc.
The free gym access is one of the best features of having a room here. I enjoyed yoga, zumba (attended a great class given by Gaby), and another exercise class while here, as well as taking advantage of the wide variety of ellipticals and other machines. There is also a lap pool. One recommendation - need to bring a yoga mat if you come for a yoga class, so I'll definitely pack one with my gear if have time to take a class on my next visit.
There is a theater on the second deck. Unfortunately, haven't been able to catch a performance during any of my visits so far, but always worth checking.
Please note if you find this review helpful.

Room Tip: Suggest higher up, and ask if there is one with less street noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank PublicHealthRxDoc
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Okay, let me try to speak for those who have not been kind in their reviews. If you are looking for a vanilla-chain hotel feel, don’t stay here.

With that out of the way, if you want to experience history, a feel from times-past, excellent service from hotel staff, a complimentary happy hour and breakfast from a view-filled room, stay here. I am a history buff, and was excited from the moment we entered the lobby. The staff was friendly, and when we entered our small but very clean and comfortable room, we discovered that internet connectivity was not working. Within 15 minutes, a representative from the IT Department was at my door with a laptop running diagnostics. We were moved two doors down to another room and the issue was resolved.

This is a unique property, and I was there for a work-related meeting. The meeting room was ornate, and comfortable. Adjacent to the meeting rooms on the 11th floor was a library with artwork, comfortable seating, and a fireplace.

I look forward to returning with my family. The property is a short walk to Union Square, and we were saved from the cable car related noise on Powell. A great experience!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank stevelieb
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I have been coming to the MMC since the 1950's! Many changes over many years. The club is trying to capture more of the convention & tourist market. We stay frequently as members of this club, but have had up an down experiences. This last stay was the first time out of 3 recent stays that we actually got the room we requested, tho we had reserved in July for Nov.
The location is the best thing about the club, perfect for walking everywhere.
Breakfast is not the best in the world with loads of starch...and no bacon!!!
Cocktail time is very generous, tho often there is no place to sit down..
need to re think this one and go to a 2 drink system...
We have eaten in the restaurant 2 times and will try again, service needs sprucing up, we had guests and the dinner side plates did not get cleared at all from the table! ugh! some of the dishes are quite good some very average for the prices...
We use the club because of the location. Its is fairly basic and don't expect and glitz...

Room Tip: It can be noisy facing Sutter St or Mason St
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Napafoodlover
Reviewed 22 November 2012

I ended up bidding on two nights in this hotel at an auction and winning. I should have read more carefully because they had to be used on Sun-Thursday night, I also was given a 50 dollar gift certificate to the restaurant. My husband deployed before he and I could use the nights so I took my Mom and two children. We went the week of Thanksgiving Sun-Tues, as their restaurant does not serve dinner and we were out sight seeing at lunch time I was unable to use the certificate. Their free breakfast, however, was fantastic.

The room was smaller than we normally get but lovely and clean and my only real complaint is that there is absolutely NO counter space in the bathroom. Had the closet and bathroom been better designed there would have been some room. This was a great location for the few things we did and we enjoyed our first trip to San Fran.

We will definitely consider returning but will probably get a suite for a bit more room.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank annap74
Reviewed 22 November 2012

This hotel is amazing, just at the lobby we can see many peaces of marines´ history, including they have one floor only to place a true museum.
It´s very well located, and counts with great rooms and great staff.
The restaurant, in the 12th floor is wonderfull counting with a especial sight of San Francisco down town, some part of the bridges and a beautiful vision of the bay.
As they are a marines´s club, you need to book your stay too early because it´s often full.
To do business or vacation, it´s a great deal. I really recomend.

Room Tip: Rooms at the left side are better, because of the sight, and ask for higher floors to seize the bay...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Gustavo B
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I found the hotel through Tripadvisor and had very good reviews and a reasonable price. Our experience was great. Located in Union Square, it has a curious atmosphere as it is really a Marines Club built after the world war. The service kind and careful about details, rooms clean and nice, breakfast included and a restaurant with a gorgeous view of SF downtown skyline from the 12th floor. Parking four doors away at a reduced price for guests. in summary a perfect place for our stay in SF.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple