Lowest prices for your stay
C$200
Toronto, Canada

Lukewarm On The Grant Hotel

Review of The Grant Hotel
2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Mar 6, 2008
I recently stayed four nights at The Grant Hotel in San Francisco and found this hotel to have both positive and negative things going for it.

On the positive side, the location simply can't be beat: the proximity to cable cars, attractions, Union Square and restaurants is outstanding. The hotel’s public areas and the room I stayed in were kept absolutely spotless. Clean sheets were provided every couple of days, and plenty of clean towels were supplied and changed daily. My room had been renovated at some point; there were newer furnishings and new fixtures in the bathroom (the medicine cabinet was a nice touch), but occasional spots of water damage high on the walls and ceilings could clearly be seen.

There was a safe in the room, which is always a nice feature. Also provided was a clock radio, phone and television. There was a huge closet in the room and lots of storage space in the dresser and cabinets. I was lucky enough to get a room at the back of the hotel so if you want some peace and quiet I would recommend requesting a room that is not fronting on Bush Street. There was free Internet access on a computer in the lobby but good luck in trying to use it – there was always a lineup of people waiting to use it and the same people seemed to monopolize the system during the entire time I stayed there. There is a free "breakfast" at the Grant Hotel which basically consists of muffins, coffee or tea. This will keep you going, though, until you hit the streets and find a real breakfast location (there are plenty of these on the surrounding streets - Lori's Diner is always a good bet).

That "funny smell" mentioned by other reviewers permeates the building - lobby, elevator, hallways, rooms; from the moment I first stepped into the lobby I could smell it. It's a strange, slightly unpleasant odour that is hard to describe, and it seems to be masked by some kind of deodorant spray. I found that by the second day, though, I had simply become used to it and it was not that noticeable unless I really paid attention to it.

On the negative side of things, the customer service at the Grant Hotel is simply atrocious. I can forgive a lot of unpleasant things while staying in budget hotels, but there is no excuse in any class of hotel for bad customer service. When I arrived (very late at night), I was met at the front desk by a man who would initially only respond in grunts and monosyllables at best. Throughout the check-in process his manner alternated between indifference, rudeness and arrogance. Obviously it was a great imposition that I was checking in. After a few more grunts and slurred conversation from this guy, I finally got checked in and found my room. This was the last kind of attitude I wanted to be greeted with after a much-delayed and problematic 12-hour flight to San Francisco. If I had not already pre-paid for my room prior to arrival I would have sought out another hotel, even though it was well after midnight and I was in an unfamiliar city. The front desk day staff did not fair much better during my visit; there was a VERY crabby woman on duty throughout the days who would never exchange any greetings except for an icy cold, hostile glare. I abandoned any thought of asking this staff for assistance in getting around the city, as I could only imagine the response I would have received. I know the Grant Hotel is rated a 2-star hotel and one shouldn't expect too much when staying at 2-stars, but all the same it is inexcusable to treat your guests in this fashion. The only bright spot in the front desk staff was the younger Asian man who was on duty a couple of afternoons and one evening. What a contrast to the others - he was very friendly, helpful and had superb customer service skills. Only when I spoke with him did I feel like a welcome guest at this hotel.

In general, the Grant Hotel is a little worn and tired here and there, but this can be expected with an older building such as this. The pictures on their web site are very deceiving and were probably taken several years ago after the renovations were completed. Would I stay at the Grant Hotel again? - I don't think so. For the same (or possibly less) money I'm sure there are plenty of other good budget hotels in San Francisco where the guest is treated with the respect they deserve. For a little more money, one could stay at either the Cornell Hotel or the Golden Gate Hotel (each a few doors down in opposite directions from the Grant Hotel) and, I'm sure, would be greeted (and treated) with a lot more respect.
Date of stay: February 2008
    C$13,633
0.2 km from The Grant Hotel
View more hotels in San Francisco
1,282 results
All reviews great location cable car stop tea coffee would stay again free breakfast public transport chinatown sf bart powell
Selected filters
Reviewed February 24, 2008

I was on a business visit to San Francisco, i was looking for a good budget hotel. I found this hotel while surfing on Internet. I called to the Hotel and they offered me a good deal i was staying for a longer period. The hotel is very close to the Chinatown, Union Square and yes, special mention, Cable Cars.

The rooms are decent with all the basic amenities like Refrigerator, Iron Board, TV, Locker.

Good points :
Free Internet access at lobby.
Free Breakfast in morning.
Helpful staff

Some of the downsides are:
No Oven in room
You need to contact external Internet Service Provider for Internet as Hotel provides only in Lobby.

Overall: A good hotel if you want more in less money

Best,
Koustubh

• Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank Kousubh
Reviewed January 16, 2008

Our room was $85 a night and it met our needs perfectly. The gentlemen at check in was very helpful with maps, things to do and a great tip with the 3 day ($18) or 1 day ($11) public transport ticket - including cable car which is on the first corner down at Powell St. he also recommended a back room which was one of the quitest rooms we have stayed in on our trip so far. Our room was perfect - clean, comfy bed, nice hot showers and wireless internet. They also have a computer in reception area with fresh pastry and tea / coffee for breakfast.

Date of stay: January 2008
4  Thank Dazoli
Reviewed November 23, 2007

My hubby and I went to San Francisco for our first anniversary trip and stayed at The Grant Hotel. The staff was friendly and our room was cute. Don't expect a huge room, but it was great for the inexpensive price. We stayed on the first floor in what looked like one of their newly remodeled rooms. We had a cute view of the street behind the hotel. One block from Union Square and next to the Powell Line Cable Car. There's an "interesting" adult club a couple doors down, but the club seemed out of place in the neighborhood. Great pizza place, Uncle Vito's, on the corner. Over all, if you want a nice, safe, clean place to sleep in a convienent location, this is a great hotel.

9  Thank AmyBoBo
Reviewed November 21, 2007

The Grant Hotel is ideally located only a block away from Union Square, 3 blocks away from China Town gate. Very convenient for travelers who uses public transportation. There is a car rental office across the street. Also very convenient for guests who need to return cars or rent a car.

The room I stayed was not big, but good size for one or two. The bathroom was newly renovated, with marble counter top. I found the sink being outside was strange at first but eventually found it making sense, for one can use the toilet while other can use the sink. The room was very clean and tastefully furnished. There was no "smell" in my room. I guess I was quite lucky, because my room was exactly like the photo posted online.

I did notice some smell during the noon time in the lobby one day. The smell was not offensive to me since it was some kind of aroma of oriental food. I noticed there was guests using the microwave oven at the front desk counter. When I return in the afternoon, the smell was gone. So I assumed the smell was from the guests' food. Frankly speaking, I don't think the hotel can have control over that.

The front desk staff, especially the evening shift staff, were very friendly. The maids were helpful as well. With the price we paid, I found this place one of the best valued hotel in downtown San Francisco.

My experience at Grant Hotel was very pleasant. Will definitely recommend this place to all my family and friends.

4  Thank SUGAS
Reviewed November 19, 2007

When I arrived, the man at the front desk was very pleasant. He pointed to an area where they have free tea, etc available 24 hours a day (cappuccinos, etc are available at a reasonable cost). The lobby was nicely decorated with a fireplace and antique furniture. There is a computer with internet access available free of charge, although there is a minimum 50 cents charge if you want to print something. This is an old hotel, but seems to be kept in good condition. I didn't not notice any "smell" either in the lobby or in my room as a couple of other people have suggested. My room was clean, but of course it was obvious that it was in an old building. The bathroom appeared as if it had been completely remodeled recently to the most modern standards with marble countertop, etc, and included a hair dryer mounted on the wall. Unfortunately, the sink drain seemed to be somewhat sluggish, but everything else, including water pressure, etc was ok. The shampoos provided were simply single use plastic packets. When I made the reservation, I had requested that a small refrigerator be placed in my room, and it was indeed there and cold inside. A free safe was in the room, but oddly, it was simply placed on top of one of the nightstands and wasn't bolted down. The view out of my window was a solid brick wall about 6 feet away but this didn't bother me at all as I like a quiet room and at $72 a night, I wasn't expecting 5-star luxury at every turn anyway. Parking is $20 a day in a building across the street (No self-park - only valet). The hotel is about a half block away from the Powell-Mason streetcar line. I ate in two restaurants within a block of the hotel and was very pleased with both of them. If you need a clean, quiet, comfortable place to stay in San Francisco in a great location without spending a small fortune on a hotel room, you should seriously consider this hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled on business