“Great Vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Great Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

We went with another couple and had a great time. Great location with trolley access and went to the Warf several times. I got to see a ball game at ATT Park and went to some of the local Irish pubs...lots of fun except my Dodgers lost. I thought the rooms were nice and clean...and trust me for my wife to approve of a hotel is a big thing.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Zell am See, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Decided to stay at this hotel after an impressive stay at another great Kimpton Hotel, the Alexis Hotel in Seattle, and I could not have been luckier. This must be one of the nicest hotels I have stayed at in recent years.

I received excellent treatment from the staff, $10 voucher for the minibar and free internet for being a Kimpton InTouch member. The location is definitely the best I could have possibly asked for with many great restaurants all around the Fisherman's Wharf. The cable cart and the tourist buses start and end a few meters away.

The room was very clean, had a good size, great bed, excellent TV and a nice bathroom. I could not fault this hotel and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Morristown, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

The Argonaut is clean and modern, and the nautical theme works given the location on the Wharf, it's less like SpongeBob than their web site photos suggest.

The problem is with their staff and service. My company arranged a business meeting through the Argonaut, and the staff was inflexible in negotiating rates for a block of rooms. They made mistakes in booking people for rooms, specifically telling several guests there were no rooms in the reserved block when in fact there were.

Overall, their staff seems inexperienced and untrained. I noticed this at another Kimpton Hotel in NYC (Eventi). Examples at the Argonaut included friendly but not very helpful bell staff, you ask for a cab and they eventually call one. One of my colleagues had asked the concierge for a cab and was told she had to ask the bellman "because otherwise they won't get the tips." A concierge that won't help - I've never heard that one before.

Tip for Kimpton management: invest heavily in staff training to improve service. You have some nice properties, but are a far cry from the major leagues when it comes to creating positive customer experiences.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed for 4 nights in between going to New York and Las Vegas ,although initially we had an interior view we upgraded to a bay view which allowed us stunning views over the bay and Alcatraz,we found the staff helpful and friendly.We will definately return

• Stayed February 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We chose the Argonaut because we got a great special on Travelzoo for four nights. We arrived around 2pm, check in was at 3pm but they had a room ready. i highly recommend becoming an In Touch kimpton member, you get special discounts and a $10 credit to raid the mini bar! The room location was initially disappointing we faced another building and the view overlooked a rooftop as well. We asked the desk clerk Sarah for a different room and she readily gave us a room on the third floor over looking a courtyard in the Cannery, excellent!

The concierge helped us rent a go car which was fun but it was cold that day, if you rent one bring a small blanket to cover your legs will definitely make the ride more enjoyable, I also reccommend buying a muni pass they are about $20 for three days but you get unlimited rides on the cable cars, buses and trolley. A ride on a cable car is $6 each way.

Staff was very friendly, doorman at night was hilarious, room was well kept and clean, would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third or fourth floor quiter and a better views.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arizonagirl12
Calgary, AB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

I chose the Argonaut Hotel because of all the great reviews here on TripAdvisor! Being that I didn't want to travel far to all the touristy places (I only had 2 days in San Fran) - and did not rent a car - this seemed like a great choice.

PLUS I am not fond of staying at anything lower than 3 stars... if you are going on vacation - why settle!??!?!

Our taxi ride from SFO to to Argonaut around 7pm (so not too bad for rush hour) cost my hubby & I $55 plus tip.

This hotel is conveniently located on the quiet end of the 'strip' on Jefferson in an adorable brick building! The doorman was super friendly and the front desk staff were super. They were even well aware of our new puppy that we went to San Fran to pick up.

They are super pet friendly here with beds and dog treats and even a park across the street for your pet to relieve itself!

We chose the King Suite and got a super deal! I think hotels in this category range in the $250 per night range - we got two nights worth for under $400 Canadian on Expedia. We checked to book for a friend after we booked and it jumped to $305 per night!

Anyways - the lobby was very charming - being we are off the coast - and our rooms were spacious with an HDMI compatible Flat Screen TV, King bed which was comfy and clean sheets and bedding. The bathroom was updated and the shower was well equipped with huge containers of wall mounted shampoo/condition and shower gel! There was a desk and lounge chair.

Our room faced other rooms and the roof so no view - which was fine by me.

The only complaint that I really had was the rooms smelled musky - but I assume being off the ocean and the age of the property - it is to be expected. A family was staying either above or beside us.. and that was a little annoying when they woke us up at 7am. However once again, older building, less sound proofing I assume.

It was walking distance (about 15 minutes) to the Alcatraz Pier and walking distance to all the great restaurants. Hubby and I even walked 2 streets down to Taylor and took the street car (which he found to be a rip off) to Chinatown and walked back.

Love the location, love the super friendly staff and it was a great resting place to rush and see all the touristy spots, pick up our puppy and be in a comfy clean place close to everything!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sunjoyjoy
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

The hotel is located in the Fisherman's Wharf so in the heart of the one of the main tourist attraction in SF.
Disadvantages: the neighborhood is way too crowded especially on weekends.
Parking outside of the hotel for the ones traveling by car is really expensive. Moreover, like what happened to us, the staff working at the reception doesn’t give you the alternative parking option. Thus you end up paying $39/night for a regular size car. don’t’ want people to go through what I went through: spending first 2 hours at the hotel room searching a cheaper parking on the Internet, and walking around the neighborhood the find a more reasonable parking option. So here’s the tip: you can park your car in nearby Anchorage Square Parking Lot and get a special overnight parking rate when you give the name of your hotel, but you have to do that before you get into the parking lot.
Even though your hotel rate includes free wireless in the room, once you want to get connected to the Internet, the hotel asks you to register your personal email address to Kimpton Hotels’ website. Once you call the front desk confirm whether this is the only option to get wireless in your room, they insist that you are obligated your to register your email to the website (and receive junk mail from a company that you have no interest in hearing from) to be able benefit from a service that they call “free”.
In addition, after I returned back home I realized that I left something in the room and emailed to hotel and never got a response back.
In summary, me and my family don't have a pleasant memory of this hotel, will not stay there again.

Room Tip: There are cheaper parking lots in the neighborhood. You can get a more reasonable overnight parking...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family