“Overpriced, poor quality, not a great experience.”
Review of Surf Motel

Surf Motel
Ranked #194 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I stayed at the Surf Motel for two nights with a friend and I thought it was awful. The bathroom was filthy, broken tiles on the wall, mould, cheap poor quality fittings. The room stunk so badly of of years of cigarette smoke we left the door open. The lights didn't work on the first night and we couldn't get hold of anyone in reception to fix the problem. The motel looks like it could do with a complete renovation, and i wouldn't rate it'd chances of standing up in an earthquake. The woman in reception was overly aggressive when checking in and made me wait until 3pm despite a notice on the wall clearly stating check in was from 2pm. The best feature was the location, which is close to the Marina Triangle, although the traffic noise won't be to everyone's liking. Worst of all was the price, $200 per night when booking through hostel world is outrageous when I think it is worth $80 per night absolute max. Overall not a great experience.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank RappaRed

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Noisy location, small room, no breakfast, nothing special. Use as a last resort.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Well, at first sight, I was weary about staying. It looked rundown and pretty empty.. we got 2 nights without checking out the rooms first and I was honestly expecting to walk into a smelly room, dirty sheets and even dirtier unkempt bathroom.. But I was surprised at how decent the room looked.. fancy by no means, basic stuff.. But everything was functional.. Only thing that bummed me out was the noise, I have insomnia and being close to the road didn't help much but it does quiet down at night. Overall is a safe, economic stay.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 4 April 2011

We recently stayed in this hotel after our first choice was unavailable. No frills but the room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Some noise from Lombard St. coming under the 1" gap under the door, but it quiets down late at night. Definately in the budget category, but if you just need a bed for the night and don't want to pay too much then I would recommend it. Wifi was working. There is a very tasty breakfast restaurant right across the street that is highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mchafs
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We stayed 2 nights on Valentine's Day and got a good rate (it was $55/night). The location is great if you don't mind the noise from the road in front of the motel. Other than that it was nice staying there. It's clean and best rate in area.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank annnn99
Reviewed 13 February 2011

First of all, we all know San Francisco is known for the horrible parking. Well I actually found that out when I got there. I recently was going to stay at another hotel (Motel Capri) and to my dismay they falsely advertised "Free Parking" and then when I got there, there wasn't any at all. I then proceeded to call the Surf Motel since this was my 2nd option. The people who own it are extremely nice. There was parking.. obviously and the room wasn't that bad either. You get what you pay for. $60 bucks to stay in a nice (not to popular) area in San Francisco. The bed was comfortable. Free internet was a huge plus and a block down was a whole street of fun food places and shops. Mel's Drive in was also right next to it. My boyfriend and I walked to Alamo Square and then back (70 blocks altogether) but it was worth it. I highly recommend this hotel. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jadezombie
Reviewed 24 October 2010

The location of this motel was good, with Fishermans wharf only a 20min walk away, and it was handy to have free parking. However, the room itself wasn't anything to write home about. Our bathroom door didn't shut as it was half off its hinges, two lights were missing in the bathroom and the curtain rail kept falling off. But as we spent most of our time out exploring the city, the state of our room didn't matter too much, and the bed was comfortable enough. One thing to note is that although it says that breakfast is provided, this is just one small pastry which you go down to reception to collect in the morning, and coffee using the coffee maker in your room. Also, it is located on the main road, and there was not a very good seal around the door, so there was traffic noise.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple