“Fabulous Deal!!”
Review of Moffatt House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Moffatt House
Ranked #32 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2011

This is a terrific place to stay! For those of us on a budget, the Moffatt house is the best deal around! I have stayed there twice now because of having to visit UCSF. We stayed in room A. The room was very spacious and had a great view of the street. The traffic outside can get a little loud at times, but that should be expected when staying in any busy area in SF. As a UCSF patient, I really appreciate having a comfortable, safe, AFFORDABLE place to rest my head the night before an emotionally and physically exhausting medical appointment. Thank you Moffatt House! I will certainly come back again!

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank alliekatebrown

Reviewed 15 September 2010

I first discovered Moffatt House when our children were young: my daughter about 10 or 11, son 5 or 6 (about 1998). We stayed on the top floor in the suite. The kids loved going out on the roof, which was acceptably childproof. They adored the pigeons who would fly by. I will admit the bathroom was a bit dingy, but we hadn't traveled to San Francisco to live in the bathroom, and I didn't much care. One thing about the bed was the pillows. My first reaction to these flat little things was, wow, can they spare it? Little did I know that these were rice hull pillows. I tried them once and was addicted thereafter. These pillows offer infinitely flexible neck and shoulder support. They are hypoallergenic and last forever. When we got home I got them for all of us. The furniture was not modern, but it was clean.
Fast forward to 2009, when my daughter graduated from UC Berkeley. We had been unable to find anything even remotely affordable in Berkeley for three adults ($300+ per night), so back we came to Moffat House, one of several stays throughout the years. Obviously we like the place.
The prices are way beyond reasonable: $150 got us two double rooms, one for me and my husband, one for my son (son and daughter on previous visits). Bathrooms are shared. They are kept clean, and squeamish as I am, I never had a problem with them. The second floor bathroom is roomy, modern, and has a neat skylight. There is plentiful storage, a sitting deck, and an alarm clock. The Judah area is noisy, no doubt. There are buses and a trolley line on the street. This might be a problem for a light sleeper.
The house itself is an old Victorian, the likes of which the city is famous for. The dining room is absolutely gorgeous. There is a lovely, wide wooden staircase.
The Moffatts are accomodating and gracious. Breakfast consists of coffee or tea, a protein (cheese, egg, or yogurt) and a starch (croissant, Danish, or bread), and fruit. The food is not trendy gourmet food, but it is wholesome, tasty, and a good start to the day. There is a fruit bowl in the hall for snacks.
Be ready to climb in this b&b. There is a climb up from the street to the lobby, and a climb up to any rooms in the main house. I know nothing about the basement area, having never stayed there.
Moffatt house is located in the Inner Sunset neighborhood, a very expensive one. It is located near Golden Gate Park, lots of fabulous restaurants a walk away, the N-Judah trolley line. You can easily go carless here, probably should because parking is a blood sport.
Moffatt house is definitely recommended: very affordable with gracious hosts, clean lodgings, good solid breakfast, and accomodations for children. I think we've stayed there four times, enough of a recommendation.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank mangoas666
Reviewed 8 August 2010

The Moffatt House has exceptionally kind and knowledgable staff to assist you with your travel/vacation needs. They are ideally located in the beautiful Sunset district within walking distance to the Golden Gate Park, restaurants and shopping. My room was exceptionally comfortable, clean and well maintained. Breakfast was great. I have stayed downtown for years, but this is much more pleasant, convenient and welcoming. P.R.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank 1Palladiumartist
Reviewed 12 July 2009

I lived in a garage when I attended Berkeley, and it was more comfortable than the Moffatt House walk-out basement apartment suite. This is definitely not a unit for UCSF visiting scholars, faculty, staff, residents or students. The main house may be different. We did not spend any time in the main house since breakfast up there was not included in the suite rental.

The self-contained unit provides lots of space for a very modest price, so if you need to house several people and don't mind a lot of noise, the price is certainly reasonable. But beware: you get what you pay for. In this case, no peace and quiet. The muni bus stop is just outside one bedroom window, the beeping of garbage trucks can be heard at 6am twice a week, and there are plenty of talking/laughing pedestrians along Judah street, which fronts the unit. Further, the wooden grand staircase in the main house is directly above the apartment, so all the footsteps -- day or night -- can be heard from this unit. We were awakened twice in the middle of the night by loud shoes/clogs and luggage being dragged on the stairs. Furthermore, being on Judah, the unit appears to be on a road frequented by ambulances rushing to the hospital. Twice we were awakened by sirens in the dead of night. Had the unit not been literally at street level with single pane windows, perhaps the noise would have been attenuated. Lastly, the unit is rather dark since it only has windows on two sides.

Pros: spacious, convenient location for visiting Golden Gate Park, UCSF, and restaurants in Inner Sunset. The kitchen is in good condition and includes a dishwasher (but with the limited cooking utensils, plan to eat out). There is a tv in each of the two rooms. One has a basic DVD player which did not read our dvds. There was a six-serving blueberry danish, a loaf of bread, a quart of OJ, and a dozen eggs for cook-yourself breakfasts. A few days into our 5 night stay, also received 4 muffins.

Cons: NOISE, dirty wall-to-wall carpet, there is no step to the threshold, so everything from the street blows right in, frayed linens, rusty bathroom light fixtures (though this is probably the fault of the room having no window and poor ventilation), the cheapest mini blinds and "curtains" held up with 5 foot tension rods. The old nightstands were in worse condition than the typical Salvation Army item. If you have small children who might eat peeling paint, beware. Interactions with the staff varied from friendly to frosty, for unkown reasons. The windows open directly onto the street, so the window coverings did nothing to keep out the noise or the feeling that I was living on the street. If you have a car, know that parking without a resident permit is limited to 2-hours from 8am -6pm, M-F, and NOT plentiful. We usually found parking around the block. The WiFi connection did not work for our laptop.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank momknows
Reviewed 23 May 2009

Short walk to UCSF. On-site owners/hosts are nice on phone but very unfriendly in person. Entire house has an old, musty smell. Beds are cheap & uncomfortable. Room decor is decades old (haven't seen alarm clocks like that since the early 70's). To call this a bed & breakfast is stretch. Breakfast is a yogurt (set out in advance, mine was room temp at 8:00 am), a bran or English muffin with butter as the only condiment, and coffee or tea. House kitchen is off-limits to guests. Lower suite has full kitchen and breakfast is left there and was a little better than the breakfast in the dining room. There was a plate of coffee cake and yogurt and orange juice in the fridge. Beds in lower suite in both rooms are awful...worse than any dorm room or cheap hotel. It is also street level and very noisy with a MUNI train stop right outside the door. During my stay, there were homeless people with their loaded shopping carts hanging out on the sidewalk outside the entrance to the lower suite. Next stay was in Room D. It is on the 3rd floor and windows do not face the street with MUNI stop so it was much quieter. Main bed was okay. Twin/trundle bed absolutely horrible. Very small bathroom, no ammenities (no mini-fridge, micro, coffee pot, etc.). Nice private balcony. Moffatt House location is walking distance to Golden Gate Park with a wide variety of eating establishments along the way. Neighborhood is so-so. I felt safe walking around in daylight, taking normal precautions and sticking to the main roads. Probably not very safe after dark. A much better B&B option in this area is Inn 1890. Costs a bit more but you'll save most of the difference with their wonderful breakfast and open kitchen. You can help yourself to anything in their 24/7. It's also extremely clean & comfy with memory foam mattresses, really nice linens & comforters, sattelite TV and free local and long-distance calling.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
6  Thank AliceMorales
Reviewed 2 July 2008

I found this place to be quite friendly and very cool. It was NOT Mold Covered, and the atmosphere including the bathrooms were exceptionally well cared for. The prices for the night were incredibly inexpensive considering that the area is often touted as the premier high rent district of San Francisco. The accessibility of the N Judah gave our family the ability to leave our car behind and make destination to Downtown San Francisco including Union Square a breeze. I also love the fact that the suite that we rented has it's own kitchenette and plenty of space for the little ones...basically a mini apartment for 127 dollars a night. This is a true gem in the heart of the nicest neighborhoods in San Francisco. Don't let this one get by you folks!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank JimNewYork
Reviewed 30 June 2008

Our stay was perfect and just what we expected and wanted for the price. This was not a resort property but for $135/nt to house 4 adults and 2 young kids in a convenient location, the value was excellent.

We stayed in the suite for 2 nights in June. The suite has 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen, and a living room on one floor. It is completely separate from the rest of the property (it's the lower level, but the door to the stairs and the rest of the house is closed/locked) so I can't comment on the rest of the B&B. There is a separate entrance for the suite, right at the corner of 7th and Judah. The regular entrance is just around the corner. We didn't see any other tenants and only saw the owner on check-in and departure -- just like we wanted it.

Pros: wonderful location near Golden Gate park, convenient to easy public transport, reasonable rooms, the right amount of beds and rooms for us, puzzles for the kids, clean, simple.

Cons: Some mold in caulk in bathroom, thin towels, mediocre bed, street noise at night (but that's probably true nearly anywhere in San Francisco), no wine glasses in the otherwise stocked kitchen.

Breakfast was muffins, bagels, OJ, and a carton of eggs in our fridge. Certainly not fancy but it was exactly as promised, so it was not a pro or a con. The decor was simple and a little dated and not like a fancy B&B tudor house, but quite comfortable for our stay.

All in all, this was a fantastic value. Think of it as staying at a friend's house for a few days. Sure, she may have a little bit of mold in the caulk, but things are fairly clean, comfortable, and convenient and the price is great. I would definitely stay here in the suite again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family