See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 6, 2017 via mobile

There are definitely some charming aspects of this motel...old architecture, antique furnishings...However, it is very outdated. My room was clean, but the rest of the hotel felt dirty. The rooms are VERY basic. Most rooms do not have their own bathroom. Also, the "breakfast" is a box of doughnuts and coffee. Cute gesture, but that is not a continental breakfast as advertised.

I found the manager of the hotel to be very accommodating and sweet, and he made me feel very comfortable and was willing to help with any concerns I had. However, the morning I checked out, I was disturbed to see the lady behind the checkout yelling at a couple who were not happy with their stay. She was extremely disrespectful to them and it was very uncomfortable. They were upset about the loud construction noises that were happening right out side of their room. I also was unable to sleep because of it. She responded saying, "it's not my problem. You could have stayed somewhere else". It was extremely unprofessional and a stark contrast to what I had experienced with the manager. I wouldn't outright rule this hotel out...(it is financially reasonable), but I won't be staying here again.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank Chelsea L
Reviewed May 24, 2017

We only stayed here one night and it served that purpose well.
The hotel is old fashioned and the lobby area is very cute. The rooms were small and ours was only shared bathroom, these were very clean and you had a sink in your room. The bed was very small.
The best part of the hotel was the location with direct access to the metro making it easy to get to/from airport.
Coffee and doughnuts were provided.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2017 via mobile

I had a private room/ the bathroom and showers are common and are located at the end of the hall. Hotel wad clean and comfortable and staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was just coffee and donuts wish they had other options. Great location in SOMA.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank mattcollins35
Reviewed February 20, 2017

We were allocated this hotel via a tour operator's multi trip holiday in the US and came to the Aida as our last stop in San Fransisco. Be aware that a standard room is a 1970's version of "standard" in that it does not include a toilet or bathroom and that these are shared "facilities" down the corridor. Since I hadn't packed my pyjamas I paid the $30 per night "upgrade" for an OLD bathroom with toilet & shower although to be fair the bed was unexpectedly comfortable! The location is handy for the shopping centre but not a place to walk through after dark - the surrounding streets were filled with homeless, most of whom weren't bothering anyone. Others were hanging around in large groups, smoking weed on the streets and honestly, I felt a little intimidated. Almost forgot - there's some building work next to the hotel and they start 7am ish!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bubbaloves
Reviewed February 18, 2017 via mobile

If you get the hotel Cortez reference, chances are you will find this place amazing. The more enthusiastic an AHS fan, the happier you will be. For everyone else, this is the most BASIC hotel you'll get in San Francisco. The beds are nice and springy ,providing real bounce, with bare bones rooms that have been a long long time since any renovation. super retro decor in the lobby that is actually very charming. I really liked the old man at reception who checked me in. Like much of SF, there are lots of homeless and addicts directly out the front door, which is certainly heartbreaking but, again, very AHS! I wish I had run into lady gaga in the hallway! ;-)

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo