US$263
Free cancellation until 26/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$249
  • Restaurant
Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$279
Hotel Carlton
  • Restaurant
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
US$287
Omni Hotels
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$324/night.

Hilton San Francisco Financial District(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$283
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$273
US$254
  • Pool
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
US$237
Official Site
Travelocity
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsellis streethomeless peopletenderloineggs or pancakescommunal areasbed dormbig kitchenown bathroombooked a private roomdodgy areafree breakfastafter darkunion squarea great staycable carfisherman's wharfneighborhood
Reviewed March 25, 2018

Neighborhood: apparently it is located in Tenderloin neighborhood (a high-crime neighborhood -- Wikipedia). I was walking from Civic Center to this hostel at a rainy night (9pm), and it was a scary experience! Groups of people were lingering around, suddenly somebody was shouting/cursing/yelling/mumbling/singing. I felt super unsafe!
(I still felt unsafe when I was walking around in the morning 9am)

Staff: Unfriendly. The staff harshly demanded me to show Security Card (I didn't know what that was, I had not checked in & I haven't stayed at any HI before) in a very unfriendly tone. He finally understood that I had not even checked in. His unfriendliness set a negative vibe.

No complaints about the cleanliness, the bed, and the room, though.

Stayed: March 2018
Molly S, General Manager at San Francisco City Center Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2018

Hi Dedy,

Thank you for staying with us, and for taking your time to leave a review of your experiences. I'm very sorry to hear that you were so effected by the neighborhood, and that you had such a gruff welcome. While we love our neighborhood, for all it's character and awesome non-profits that are located here in order to help the most needy, we also know it can be a very intense experience, especially at first. The 'Security Passes' are issued to each guest at check in, and are how we make sure that only registered guests get past the front desk. This is a direct action we take to ensure all guests feel safe and comfy inside the hostel. Of course, we don't want to scare you with this security measure, so please accept my apology for the way you were spoken to when you came in to check in.

I'll make sure to follow up with the staff member who checked you in, and remind them that part of guest safety is in our warm welcomes and friendly delivery of information. We do get a lot of great comments about our friendly staff, so I hope you will give us another shot sometime so we can try to offer you a better experience, including helping you to find the coolest spots with the best food in the city, just outside our doors.

In the meantime, happy travels!
~Molly

Reviewed February 24, 2018

I stayed at City Center for two nights with a friend. The hostel was clean and most of the staff were friendly. We stayed in a 4-bed female dorm, and aside from inconsiderate roommates the first night, everything went well. The mattresses were so comfortable and were greatly appreciated after walking around the city all day. We took lyfts to and from the hostel after the first night because we didn't feel safe walking very far in the area.

I would like to give a warning to solo female travelers who are planning to walk to the hostel. Don't walk along Ellis street to get there, especially late afternoon/evening. If you're coming from BART or the ferry building, take Market to Larkin until you reach Ellis. Google maps gave us the quickest route, which had us walk along Ellis. If I'd been more familiar with the area, I would have taken a different route.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jacki W
Reviewed February 21, 2018

The hostel is the best I've been in. Friendly staff.
The free breakfast is just some bread, some cheese and coffee or tea. Oh, ad I forgot - there is also peanut butter ad jam... Adding a 1$ will give you either 4 eggs or 4 pancakes.
The room is comfy, very clean. Unfortunately we were right next to the elevator and the walls are not sound proof...
All i all, given the prices of hotels vs hostels - I definitely recommend to stay here.

Stayed: January 2018
Reviewed January 29, 2018

Myself and a friend of mine stayed at the City Center hostel recently, January 21st through the 24th, 2018 (3 nights) and while everything was okay with the room we stayed in, we had a major issue with the staff through the entirety of our stay there.

Every encounter that we had with a staff member (except for one guy who was at the desk a couple of times, I don’t know his name) were incredibly rude and standoffish to us, which left us feeling incredibly uncomfortable through the entirety of our stay, as the treatment was enough that we anticipated walking down past the desk throughout the day as we worried about having to have interactions with the rude staff at the desk.

This began as early as check-in, when the man who checked us in was very cold and rude to us. It proceeded with another woman who was at the desk each day, who was very rude to my friend when she asked about using a hairdryer one day, and then another day said some rude things to her about my service animal.

On two occasions, we overheard this woman gossiping about us after we walked by the desk and up the stairs, when both my friend and I were nothing but kind to everyone at the front desk, until we began seeing the pattern in treatment.

While the accommodations were fine, the level to which we felt impacted by the behavior and treatment from multiple people at the front desk made our stay at the hostel absolutely terrible. When you’re paying a good amount of money per night to stay at a place, the last thing a person wants is to be made to feel like they’re a burden or mistreated when they’ve done absolutely nothing wrong.

Being on the receiving end of this treatment from the staff left us feeling so uncomfortable that we dreaded having to return to the hostel or have any interaction with the staff, not knowing if they’d be rude and act like normal questions where a huge issue, or if we’d over hear them gossiping about us after we walked by.

As paying guests of the hostel, this is treatment no guest should ever experience.

I would never recommend this hostel to anyone, unless they want to be made to feel unwelcome at their own accommodations they're paying for. I would rather stay at a crappy hotel with friendly front desk staff who you don't have to worry about gossiping about you while you're steps away than stay at this place.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank alischueler
Molly S, General Manager at San Francisco City Center Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2018

Hi Alexandra,
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with our hostel. I've reached out to you directly to see if there's anything we can do to make this right. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention, as we really do want every guest to have a safe, welcoming, and meaningful stay. Your feedback will help us to improve, though I do regret you ever were made to feel this way.
~Molly

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 13, 2017 via mobile

Stay here if you want to be in the centre of everything San Fran has to offer. Great rooms and really helpful staff. There are also plenty of spaces to spend time outside of your room. Computer room, theatre room, lounge and kitchen. Wifi is fast. The only downfall was that one of our group is anaphylactic but the hostel didn’t want to remove the peanut butter from kitchen temporarily.
If that isn’t an issue for you then definitely consider staying here

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends