“A must when in San Francisco”

Dottie's True Blue Cafe
Ranked #37 of 5,642 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: SoMa
Description: Now located in a beautiful 1910 building with brick walls and hardwood floors with an open kitchen and very cozy atmosphere. Roof top seating when the weather permits for coffee and pastries or a glass of wine in the afternoon. We have an additional seating capacity of approximately 24 making for a quicker turnaround.
California
“A must when in San Francisco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Note new location near 6th/Market. Wonderful baked goods and pancakes. Friendly service and atmosphere, decorated to with photos of the ladies who sang at the Cotton Club. Highly recommend, worth the wait in line!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Nightshade08

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Round Rock, Texas
“Good breakfast worth a short wait”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Inspired by family members who had visited (who were inspired by this show being on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives, naturally), I visited Dottie's last Friday morning for breakfast with my husband & 3 of his male colleagues. There were 5 of us; we walked right in the door and we only had to wait about 10 minutes for a private table (we could have been seated at a communal table immediately). However, by the time we left, the line was way out the door.

The wait staff was friendly (and mostly quick to refill coffees & offer other assistance). The interior was crowded, but had charm. The food was ample & tasty. I had the blueberry cornmeal pancakes which were packed with deliciously ripe blueberries. My husband had a daily special french toast which was delicious and not too rich. Our friends had pancakes & egg scramble dishes which were absolutely massive. We were all satisfied with our food.

We were all a bit apprehensive about walking to Dottie's from our hotel at Union Square, having heard some rough things about this neighbohood. The walk wasn't long, but we did encounter a few odd characters. I don't think that even the men in our group would have wanted to walk here alone, but in a group in the daylight, we felt fine.

Overall, the food at Dottie's was excellent, and worth at least a short wait. Be aware that they have moved locations somewhat recently, so many of the photos & reviews you'll find are of their old location.

• Visited March 2012
Huntington Beach, California
“Long lines but worth it.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Like most of us in line we were trying out the Cafe because we saw it on Food Networks Diners, Drive In's & Dives. My husband & I felt the line was part of our S.F. experience but it was also worth the wait. It was about 45 min wait & when we were done the line was still around the corner. A must try. Oh they have moved locations - 6th & Market.

Visited February 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Same great food in a new location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We visited Dottie's new location on Feb 13th. I was happy to find that the food hasn't changed at all. They still have creative breakfast specials and the old standbys like the blueberry cornmeal pancakes and the top notch baked goods.

The restaurant is much larger and is decorated nicely but in my opinion it lacks the warmth and character that the other location had. The location of the restaurant is in a rather rough area. I was not comfortable walking the short distance from Powell and Market to get there and I was with a group. Knowing what the walk is like to get there I'm not in a hurry to return. Even though the food is wonderful I't isn't worth the stress I felt getting to the restaurant.

• Visited February 2012
“Best breakfast at Union Square”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

The trick is to get there early. Well worth it. Please tell Dottie I said hello.

2 Thank Raybull