“What an outstanding lunch!”
Review of Swan Oyster Depot

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery
Neighbourhood: Polk Gulch
Reviewed August 15, 2016 via mobile

Oysters, crab back and ale. This place is simply outstanding.
You will very likely have to queue but the wait is worth it.
Jimmy was on great form and looked after us a treat.
Top marks!!

Date of visit: August 2016
1  Thank MCalgary

Reviewed August 11, 2016 via mobile

Went here with my cousin and his wife who are locals. A line up early in the morning and the whole time we were there, so the locals know and love this place. The restaurant was small and the cash register is from 1940. They are cash only and trust the customers so much they expect you to tell them what you ordered. You don't see that anymore. Impressive

Reviewed August 8, 2016

We waited for more than an hour for a table but it was not that great. They did not have broken crab and we ended up eating some average sashimi. The salads, oysters and soups are good.

Reviewed August 4, 2016

To be honest, I went by Anthony Bourdain's show "A cook's tour" and was not disappointed. You may have to queue up for 20 minutes or may be more or less (I waited for about 25 mins) just to get a seat(err...barstool)
The food is straightforward, nothing fancy-- had chowder, seafood cocktail and probably a glass of white. I can guarantee, to eat here, you wont need to break the bank! Staffs are super friendly and chatty.

Highly Recommended!

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed August 3, 2016

I went to Swan for the first time recently and can report it is as good as they say it is. I have wanted to dine there for years but had not previously been able to. On this occasion I arrived just before they were scheduled to open to find a short line ahead of me. When they opened at 10:30 I was one of the lucky ones to get in and have a seat at the counter. I think there are only about 16 seats in the place. There are lots of guys behind the counter to provide service, so that aspect was excellent. There isn't what I would call a romantic atmosphere in the place, but there is a certain charm. It's very casual. It's not really a place to linger over a meal, though none of the employees made me feel rushed.
I had a dozen Miyagi oysters (from 4 different farms in California and Oregon) and a crab cocktail, along with a pint of draft beer. Everything I had was top quality. Years ago I worked in the retail fish business and for an oyster farmer. Since then I tend to scrutinize seafood to the “nth” degree. This place definitely passed my test with flying colors. It’s not inexpensive, but in this case, you certainly get what you pay for.