“Good Location & Good Price”
Review of Hotel Mayflower

Hotel Mayflower
Ranked #25 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Auckland
“Good Location & Good Price”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I paid $92 incl tax for 1 night

Needed somewhere to stay for one night before getting on a cruise ship out of San Fran and chose this place as the reviews were pretty good.

The best way I could describe the service at check in was in-different - I was told breakfast ended at 9am (I slept through my alarm so didn't wake up until 9 and assumed that I had missed breakfast so didn't go down - at check-out I discovered on a Sunday breakfast is until 10am)

I arrived with 2 suitcases and an arm in a sling (due to elbow surgery just before trip and not being able to cancel trip) so asked for assistance to get my bags to my room. The guy at the desk seemed like I was making trouble asking for help. The lifts are small and when in the lift with my 2 suitcases and the man from front desk, we were squeezed in and my backpack was preventing the door from closing so the man from the front desk pushed my backpack, which pushed me and I nearly fell over which could have been a disaster, luckily I didn't. I got no sorry or anything.

Room was spacious, clean with a little kitchenette, bathroom small but had everything I needed and since I was traveling alone it was great for 1 person.

I was on 4th floor on side of building and I heard no noise from anywhere

At check out the 2 women at the front desk organised someone to get my suitcases from my room (no drama this time) and also someone to hail me a cab (quicker to hail then call and they were right) - had a cab in less than 5 mins

Even with the issues at check-in I would still stay here as location is great, rooms are basic but provide everything you need and the price is great (and apparently they provide breakfast LOL) - I just wouldn't stay here alone if I knew I needed assistance

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Hampshire
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We liked this hotel. The entrance hall and seating area is lovely. Each room has a wall mural of a part of San Francisco, which was part of its charm. We stayed here twice in May and preferred the non-corner room as the extra window in a corner room meant more city noise for sleeping. However we hasten to add, that generally this was a quiet hotel for city noise and we slept reasonably well. There were walk-in closets in our rooms to stow suitcases and clothes, a big bonus. The bathroom was done in a deliberately dated style, which was quaint but could have done with a little more space to stow toilet bags (wash bags). There was a sink/microwave area in the main room that we used for this. There was no air conditioning, but it was not needed in May anyway, and the windows opened fully for ventilation.

Breakfast was served 7-9am on weekdays, (and until 10am on weekends) and was serve yourself style - boiled eggs, porridge (oatmeal) , coffee, cheese, cookies etc.

The lifts are old-style: with a cage door you open but the lift closes, much fun! Overall we were glad we stayed here - the reception staff were very helpful. Its a convenient and safe area to stay in.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HampshireMim
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We stayed for 7 nights at the end of April 2012. The location was great and within walking distance of many cool neighbourhoods and the cable car lines and other public transportation. By walking and using public transportation we never had to use our car once. Our room at the back of the hotel was very quiet. The breakfast (toast, instant oatmeal, peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, apples, scones, cookies, muffins, tea, coffee) was very good. We stayed in a standard queen room. The bed was comfortable and the room was a good size with big closets. The computers with internet access and printers on the second floor was very helpful. There is a good grocery store next door and a laundry very close by. The parking lot is very small and I was glad that we drive a Honda Civic. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Charming lobby and elevator. I would definitely stay again. You could pay way more and stay elsewhere but with everything they offer there is no reason to.

Room Tip: Room 119 was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RDKF99
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 April 2012 via mobile

We paid just ov $100 night for two nights, which we budgeted for. There was a mixup with my reservation but they kindly gave me the older, lower rate. The hotel was built in 1929 and besides the TV and wi-fi, (and microwave and fridge) little seems upgraded. This is kind of cool in a city dripping with history like San Francisco but I might have thought it kind of grotty elsewhere... The bathroom had those tiny hexagon tiles on the floor, which reminded me of my first apartment 40 years ago (as did the quaint wood cabinets and fittings of the kitchenette) but I could not help worrying how clean they could get it, really. Some of the grouting was a bit worrisome too. I asked for a quiet back room and I got 509 which looked into the window of the next door building, which I thought was fine, planning only to sleep here, (and there were good blinds) but my partner did not like it. Pluses: beds comfy, handy fridge and microwave (with a nicely stocked market downstairs). Decent continent breakfast included, not fancy (toast, instant oatmeal, hardboiled egg, juice, coffee/tea, apples, cookies) enough to get you out the door. The elevator is a funny antique that takes some getting used to, but you can pinch your hand in the metal gate. One caution: we found the walk up Jones street from Market 9pm at night full of very scary characters...it is not a good neighborhood.

Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Wings-it
goleta
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I searched tons and tons of hotels and read hundreds of reviews to finally find the Hotel Mayflower! It was our very first time in SF, and wanted a place in the center of the beauty. This hotel is in the most perfect location- blocks from union square and both cable car turnarounds! Bus stops super close, at least 5 coffee shops within close walking distance- just cannot beat this location.
The hotel itself was perfect! FREE parking! Yes it's a small garage and you have to have a small car to get down there, but what a great value!
Our room was on the 5th floor and was so quaint and cute, small bed, but it felt like our own little SF apartment, with a mini fridge, microwave, silverware cups and plates, and the best part a WALK IN CLOSET! so perfect!
The staff was super friendly and helpful with directions and such.
Would definitely recommend and will stay here again and again on our next trip to SF!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kiana m
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My boyfriend and I split our stay in San Francisco in two, deciding to book two hotels in two different areas of the city to get to know it better over the period of 12 nights/13 days.

The Mayflower Hotel was the first of our stay at the end of March for 6 nights and we were happily looked after by all staff throughout. The room was comfortable and very spacious, with even a walk-in wardrobe and a kitchenette with fridge, microwave and a small selection of plates, cutlery, mugs and glasses.

It was really good to know that we could be reasonably self-sufficient, though the hotel is so well situated that within minutes you can find wonderful restaurants whether you head West along Bush Street or East. Next door, you'll also find the Mayflower deli shop, which sells lots of groceries and has a deli counter too if you wish to make use of the microwave.

Union Square is nearby too and barely a 10 minutes walk from the hotel and there you'll be really spoiled for choice. And from the hotel, you'll be also very close to the Cable Cars line on Powell Street so you'll be able to hop on if the cable car isn't too busy for $6 per trip.

From Union Square, many of the hopper bus tours set off so watch out for the lines doing the downtown tour, the Golden Gate Park tour and the Golden Gate Bridge tour, all of which are well worth it. Some companies over these together, which you can cover over a period of 48 hours, at a special price. We did this and thought it was worth every penny.

About the position of our room (11 I seem to remember, 1st floor and end of the corridor), it really was well situated, with even an avocado tree outside! Shame we couldn't reach the actual fruits because it was loaded! It did not face the main street and I would advise you ask for this because Bush Street can get busy. The bed was very comfortable so we slept well every night. The bathroom too was good, clean, with the basic essentials and a bath tub with a powerful shower head.

When it came to breakfast, again I think it was good value for money, though staying there for 7 days, we felt it became a little bit monotonous after a while. Every morning it was either porridge or toast with jam, peanut butter or chocolate spread, or cheese slices and boiled egg, and biscuits / muffins. Still, again it was good for the overall stay and you could always choose to go out instead and sample a special American breakfast at one of the many nearby cafes. Drinks-wise, the coffee and orange juice served for breakfast were delicious.

All in all, we were very pleased with it and would recommend it highly for the budget traveller. For us, the key factors for our first week in San Francisco were budget and location, and ideally a welcoming smile when we got there (our first time in the US). We got everything, so for us, it ticked all the boxes.

Room Tip: Our room (11, I seem to remember) was very spacious and well placed, not facing the busy street. I w...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AnnalisaCB
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Very central, nice property with Art Deco touch, clean, simple breakfast
Very efficient staff - provided us with phone charger, suitcase scales etc. Booking without prepayment.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family