“Excellent, but too much food!”
Review of Michael Mina

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Financial District
Cross street: Front and Battery
Transit: MUNI & BART: Powell Station
Description: WELCOME TO MINA GROUP A San Francisco-based restaurant management company specializing in creating and operating upscale, innovative restaurant concepts, led by Founder and award-winning Chef Michael Mina. Operating since 2003, Mina Group currently manages more than 30 concepts around the world. At Mina Group, impeccable service is not just our ideal, it is ingrained in everything we do. Rooted deep in our foundation is a selflessness and flexibility that is reflected in an experience wholly centered on others. By embodying our values of adaptability and fluidity, we cultivate a whole new sense of hospitality that is uniquely Mina. CHEF MICHAEL MINA My job as a Chef, and my team's job, is to make food come alive. We strive to create incredible meals each and every day that make our guests sit up, take notice, experience delight and wonder, "Exactly what was in that dish?" We accomplish this through a balance of flavors: acidity, sweetness, spice and fat.
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I really enjoyed the dinner experience at MM, however the portions are seriously too big.
This results in main courses not eaten and being from Europe: doggy bags is not our thing.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

Just finished a great meal at Michael Mina's. First time in San Francisco, although I've been to the one in Las Vegas a couple of times. The food was delicious and the service excellent. Wine pairing suggestions were right on. Didn't have the dessert but I'm sure it would have been decadent.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

Dinner at Micheal Mina was delicious! The menu was unique and everything we ordered was good. We started with the Shabu Shabu appetizer, which was definitely the highlight of our meal. I highly recommend it. We also had the lobster risotto, Japanese inspired crab (which was a ramen soup with crab), and steak (from the chef's tasting menu). Everything was good, but it actually was more food than we could finish. We wished we could have saved room for dessert, because the desserts looked amazing!

Service was very good. Our server was attentive, but not too pushy. The only downside to this restaurant was the price. The dishes were a little pricey, but in-line with a nice dinner out. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to someone looking for a high-end dinner with unique and unexpected dishes.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

We had a wonderful dinner at Michael Mina. It's expensive, but worth every penny. The food was creative and delicious, and the service was outstanding. Example: My husband was asking questions about the abalone, but ultimately decided not to order it. The waiter brought him a good sized serving to taste, along with his first course!

Especially good - the bread! It was Acme wheat bread, toasted with butter, and served with a little pot of creamy mascarpone and ricotta, with peppered honey on top. Fantastic.

My husband had the foie gras as first course, and said it was the best he's ever had. My risotto was also really good.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Overall, the restaurant is very good. The food, although portions are not big were very fine in preparation, taste and presentation. The room decor is nice and it is not noisy.
We were surprised about a couple things:
Waiter was not all that interested and seemed kind of disjointed and not all that thrilled to be there. All he really did was take the order and the rest of the staff took care of everything else. There is a plethora of help, as well. Glasses were filled and refilled all the time.
The wierdest thing is I had to ask for bread while others were served while their wine arrived. I asked for more bread and they said they make it up as people ask for it? What??? So I asked and then I was done with the meal and I said not to bring it not that it was ever going to come out. Perhaps they had placed gold in the bread!!! I did talk to the manager and tell him that if bread is made up when asked for, they should let the customer know. This was just plain dumb. We have eaten around the world and have never seen such a thing like this. Yeah, it sounds petty but it is what it is.
I believe that they have so much help running around and sharing various tasks that nobody knows what is going on with a particular table and I would pin the lack of direction solely upon the waiter. He is the captain but as usual when you want something you rarely see him again and rely on the busboys to get you what they want. I hope he got most of the tip...
It was also my wife's birthday and this was not acknowleged even though I said it was a big one. She didn't even get so much as a cookie. Again, never been in a place before that didn't acknowledge in some way a birthday especially when one pays >$250 for a meal. Again, as I see it this is due to lack of focus.
So the food is good although in SF there are so many places to enjoy. I wouldn't tell someone not to go there but I wouldn't probably direct anyone there either.

1  Thank billkhoe