“Fantastic culinary experience”
Review of Michael Mina

Michael Mina
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael Mina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #150 of 6,004 Restaurants in San Francisco
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Financial District
Cross street: Front and Battery
Transit: MUNI & BART: Powell Station
Description: Michelin-starred MICHAEL MINA is the crowning jewel that captures the core of Michael's philosophy: bold yet balanced flavors achieved through a combination of acidity, sweetness, spice and richness. At the helm, Executive Chef Raj Dixit achieves these bold, balanced flavors in a cuisine, which draws upon global influences, showcasing the highest quality authentic and seasonal ingredients. The 5-course tasting menu invites guests to explore a dynamic expression of Chef Michael Mina's vast culinary influences while also providing options within each course for the guest to define their ultimate dining experience. The tasting menu is offered for dinner only at $135 per person, with vegetarian options and supplements at an additional cost. A paired down 'a la carte' dinner menu is available at the bar. Lunch is served in the dining room featuring an à la carte menu and at the bar featuring an array of seasonal small plates, as well as salads.
Reviewed January 16, 2018

Wonderful meal. Great service. Sat at the bar and ordered ala carte dinner. Fantastic and great suggestions by the bar tenders. Sit at the bar if you don’t have a hard to get reservation. Expensive but excellent.

1  Thank M S

Reviewed December 31, 2017

Michael Mina restaurants are great. My meals used to have everything that was served was excellent. I had a tasting menu with great dishes, but a few of the dishes were not as good as it used to be. Great place for dinner; just not as great as it used to be. Perhaps other restaurants continue to come up in the city.

Reviewed December 13, 2017

Not sure if it's Via Michelin or one Michelin star. If it's one Michelin then I did’t think it's up to it.

Four of us had the five course dinner. The shabu shabu was excellent, beef just melted in the mouth. Trio prawn dish was a bit dry and tomato sauce was a bit overpowering. My friend and I had the same sea bass dish but one of my fish did not have the sauce I had to enquire and it was taken back to the kitchen to be added. The special mixed butter came with bread was a bit too sweet for our taste so we asked for plain butter. The pumpkin ravioli was a little too much pumpkin and too sweet.

Overall the meal was rather disappointing!

Reviewed December 12, 2017

Our lunch was fantastic. The meal ranks at the top of the best meals I've had anywhere in a long time. The service was also very very good. This place is not for a cheap meal, which was anticipated, but my frustration was that the wait staff did not highlight the price of a special appetizer for the day. The price ended up being 2.5x for the appetizer vs. my entree. If it was not for business, I'd be particularly annoyed.

Reviewed December 10, 2017

Food: When paying Michelin star prices for a meal, we expect a memorable bite. The five course meal varied from good to very good. We liked all our dishes and I found the the Lobster Pot Pie particularly memorable. The thing I found slightly different about MM was the varied types of dishes. And by that I Mean, when you go to a fine French restaurant you expect intense French fare. MM was good, but the different styles lacked an obvious thread.

Atmosphere: MM is an oddly shaped room. There did not appear to be any table free from the constant flow of waiters and servers. Our table near the kitchen was particularly busy.

Service: You expect great service at a place like MM and we found the service just at the right level. Precise and professional certainly. In contrast, we tried Alain Ducasse in London (3 star) recently and found the service almost overwhelming.

Price: An expensive meal, but a memorable one. A special occasion destination that is worth a try, but I suggest asking for a quieter table if you are seeking a more intimate experience.