“Yan's yucky ”

Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Financial District
Neighbourhood: Financial District
Reviewed October 15, 2015 via mobile

Based on reviews, I decided to make the 1 mile walk to Yan's Kitchen, hoping to get some Chinese food that was tasty and hopefully, a notch above the take out slop that too many Chinese restaurants settle for. The best I can say is that when I arrived back at my hotel, the food was still hot. It was the oiliest, gummiest Chinese food I've eaten in years. It was monotonal in flavor without any real nuances. I really wanted to like it, as it is obviously a family business run by an aging husband and wife. It's one meal I'll never get back. If you are looking, I recommend that you keep looking.

1  Thank drdobg

Reviewed October 10, 2015 via mobile

After reading all the reviews, we were looking forward to lunch at Yan's Kitchen. The restaurant is small and right on Columbus.

When we walked in, there was one couple eating and all but two of the remaining tables were dirty. We ordered from the lunch menu and the food was prepared fresh for us, but the fried items were greasy, and none of the dishes had much flavor.

The price was right, $20 for lunch for two, but there are many better choices for Hunan cuisine in Chinatown.

1  Thank SHARONANDRUSSELL
Reviewed October 1, 2015

Small, family run Chinese restaurant on the edge of Chinatown that is cash only. General Tso’s chicken was toasty and tasty. Sometimes it can be just a derivative of orange chicken or sweet and sour and this was definitely not the case. Mongolian shrimp, chicken and beef with ginger and onion was fresh tasting served over a bed of brown rice which is an upgrade and you must ask for. They offered some varietal of a dumpling as a daily special and it was on par with the Tso’s chicken. Call ahead if you’re in a hurry; service is paced……….you’ll understand when you arrive.

1  Thank FtLewis
Reviewed September 11, 2015

Amazing food individually prepared while you wait and well worth it. A small, 9 tables, family restaurant, but some of the best Chinese food my wife and I have ever had. Unfortunately we could not talk them into relocating to Arizona so can only highly suggest for those who visit or live there do not miss out on this opportunity.

2  Thank Lesserg
Reviewed August 1, 2015

Love this place. Kind of a dive but food is good and the price is right. I go here for lunch fairly frequently. I like the seafood with vegetables. Seems like a couple own/run this place. They are quiet but friendly and always remember my order which is unusual in such a big city