“Difficult to get a quality sleep”
Review of Beach Motel

Beach Motel
Ranked #212 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reno, Nevada
“Difficult to get a quality sleep”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We paid $113 for our room only to find out the room was run down with a bad smell,the bed does not even have a fitted sheet, it was a piece of thin cloth,everything looks very cheap. The muni train was running nearby until 12pm and started again in the early morning. There was also a bar right below our room, they close at 3am. Like the other reviews point out,the room does not worth your money. But if you had to stay in this location, you wouldn't have many choices, the pros are, they provide microwave, hair dryer and a fridge. If you are very low maintenance and an easy sleeper,go give it a try, if not, try to avoid this place.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank yymm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed 15 August 2011

The only good thing I can say about this motel was that it came with a refrigerator and microwave with no additional charge (although they should come standard in the room)

-Service of staff was satisfactory, could have been more friendly.

-Carpet was dirty, the towels had hair, and we found a used towel hanging by the door with pubic hair and brown stains.

-Room and furniture is outdated, and mattress is flat.

-Room also had musky smell

-Thin walls- could hear every toilet flush and water running in every room surrounding ours

-Refrigerator was noisy

*Beach Motel rate should be cheaper for the quality. Even though we stayed during the weekend and it is by beach in San Francisco, I don't think it's worth the money. I've stayed at other motels in cities like SF and have received better service and rooms

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Palm Springs, CA
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Surprisingly, after reading the awful reviews on the Beach Motel here, I really thought I was in for a disasterous, unpleasant time. Wrong!
Let me start by saying, if you are wanting to sightsee, eat good food, walk to just about everything locally you could need and want, then I recommend this hotel. For example, you can catch public transporation right outside the front office door, you can walk to a few delicious coffe shops, walk to laundry, and the local 7-11 convenient store open 24 hours a day, decent to fantastic breakfast, lunch and dinner restaurants are all within walking distance, the beach in a 3 block walk, there is FREE (but limited) parking, which is a HUGE bonus for a San Fran. hotel. The office man (Bob) was polite and helpful. The rates are very reasonable (I think we paid around $70/night), the district "Sunset" that the Beach Motel is located in, is fairly clean and quite safe.
As for the motel itself, the room we stayed in was large, had a micro, fridge, tv, and a view of the street (not bad though because I enjoy the architecture/sights/sounds of San Fran), and has a large closet. The shower was clean and had good water pressure.
A few downfalls:
The faucet knob in the bathroom was broken. Thankfully, the water came out just fine though. The closet smelled a little musty. There wasn't any luggage racks. There is no elevator, so get ready to climb stairs (and it's not wheelchair accessible). There is no pool or spa, but the beach is 3 blocks walking distance away. There was no coffee maker in the room (but again, walking to coffee was very close), the bed could use a new mattress as it was squeaky and a bit warped. A few of the lights didn't work in the room. The tolietries are limited, and they don't have hair conditioner- only shampoo. They don't give-out a lot of towels either.
A word of advice: Try to get a room that is not over the Pittsburgh bar that is located directly below the hotel on the left side. Also, realize that this is San Fran and public transportation is used frequently by locals, etc. to get from point A to point B, so the MUNI runs right outside the Beach Motel all the time, and it's loud. If you don't like noise, then either the beach motel isn't for you, or you will need to bring along your own noise blocker (i.e., a small portable fan, earplugs, white noise machine, etc.).
I would give the Beach Motel my business anytime because what I was looking for was convenience to tourist and non-tourist attractions, a clean, safe place to sleep, shower, and go to the bathroom, local public tranportation, and FREE parking. I got it here!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank happygoluckeee
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2010

We arrived in San Francisco and wanted a cheap motel close to the Golden Gate Bridge to visit the next morning. It was about 10mins drive away.

It was run by an Indian gentleman who was friendly, but the motel was really a dump. We paid $103USD for it too. We had to cart the luggage up this high external staircase to our room. Even the room looked like a weird apartment rather than a motel room. It so old and dirty and was configured strangely with a long passageway from the front door.

The AC was very noisy and the beds were not comfortable at all. There was light from the street coming in and the carpet, walls etc were all quite old and dirty.

Its amazing there is no government regulatory body over these businesses that allow them to operate at such low standards.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 30 October 2009

My boyfriend and I attended Woodstock West Fest on October 25th and stayed at the Beach Motel on Judah in San Francisco. It would never have been my choice to stay, even if I had to drive 25 miles to a better facility, but our associate had taken it upon himself to make a reservation for us and we were kind of stuck. I had a reservation at the Holiday Inn Express in Belmont for only $75 per night (weekend rate), and when I tried to explain to the hotel clerk that there was miscommunication between our associate and us, and that we already had a reservation elsewhere, and he rudely and adamantly refused to cancel our reservation without penalizing our associate for the full rate of $95/night. So we made due and stayed there, and the room was terrible. We could clearly hear our neighbors chatting in the room next door, could smell their smoke as if they were having a cigarette right in our room, there was no vanity in the bathroom (only a freestanding sink, toilet and shower/tub), there was no internet access, the decor was depressing, and the street car ran all night long and was extremely loud, as it was right outside our window. At check-out time, the hotel clerk came around like a drill sergeant evicting everyone and opening all the doors to every room after a guest left so he could keep track of who had vacated. The premises was run by a man of East Indian descent who had no clue how to treat guests like valued customers. It's not wonder the place was half vacant even though the Woodstock event was that day. I think I'd rather sleep in my car than ever patronize that horrible motel ever again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Sussex, England
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We booked the Beach Motel for no reason other than its price. We did minimum research and made the reservation before we read the reviews here. Saw all the negative reviews the day before we travelled and were horrified and thought of just going somewhere else but decided to go with it for one night as they already had our credit card details etc.

Actually we were really pleasantly surprised. Yes, the motel is old and could do with refurbishment BUT the room was perfectly clean. The management were lovely to us and treated us with nothing but courtesy. We loved the location: really close to the beach, right on the tram line into the centre of the city, near Golden Gate Park which we loved and right beside the Java Bean Cafe which we quickly fell in love with (try their granola bowl).

If you're looking for 5 star go elsewhere but if you're happy with decent clean rooms in a good area of town then look no further. We stayed for two nights at the start of our stay and booked ourselves back in for the final two nights of our trip to California.

Yes we could hear the trams but it wasnt a big problem. Neither saw nor heard any evidence of the loud bar mentioned by others - have no idea what this referred to. We used it as a base and somewhere to sleep - not a destination in its own right and it served us well.

Would willingly return. Enjoyed our days here.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Janey419
Central, CA
Reviewed 9 August 2008

We "accidentally" booked this hotel thinking it was another one we had stayed at and BOY, was that a HUGE mistake. I can honestly say that this is the absolute worst hotel I've ever stayed at in my life. It makes Motel 6 look like The Hilton.

First of all, it states that it's 1 mile from the Zoo and UCSF (we were going to both), it's actually more like 4 miles. Secondly, parking is very scarce. Third, we walked in the room and it reaked of urine, there was hair all over the blanket, urine on the comforter and mattress. It was filthy. My 2 daughters, ages 4 and 7 were crying and begging us not to stay there. My 7 year old actually wanted to go sleep in the car. If it hadn't been so late when we arrived (11:30 PM), we would have left and found another hotel.

We decided to just stay the night and felt and heard the Muni train all night. It felt like an earthquake. Not to mention people yelling and screaming across the street the whole night. We also kept hearing loud bangs. I don't know how many times I jumped that night and needless to say, didn't get any sleep.

I felt like I was getting bit by fleas the whole night as well. This was honesly the worst hotel ever. We chose it because it was close to the Zoo and the hospital, and we thought it was one we had stayed at another time, but I would have gladly stayed somewhere much further and paid much more. The price was outrageous ase well. $108/night. You couldn't pay me to stay there another night.

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family