“Nice hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dubai
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Good hotel in good location. Worth a visit. Very helpful staff.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I just returned from a weekend at this hotel. The hotel itself is nice in a big convention hotel sort of way. But the communication and remedy of bad situations is not good. We checked in and decided to pay for a club room. The room was small and had only a little window instead of the floor to ceiling windows advertised. We changed rooms to a regular corner room which was spectacular. But there were boxes left from the prior guest on the desk, minibar bottles missing and at 11 PM we discovered that the blackout curtains were not functioning. (not good for an east facing window!). I let management know and the boxes were removed and the curtain fixed at midnight. We barely slept that first night because the mattress felt very lumpy. The next morning I requested that the mattress be changed. They don't have any spare mattresses on this enormous property! So they removed the feather-bed and it was much better. Still, I'd expect excellent rather than mediocre mattresses at an intercontinental. The wifi didn't work, and I called to let the front desk know. There was nothing they could do.

When we checked out, we were billed for the minibar and the wifi. There were no notes about our complaints and management did nothing to make it right. I had been talking to my boyfriend earlier, assuming that the hotel would do something (buy us breakfast, apologize, or something) to make things right. He asked whether I was just trying to get something for free. I thought about it and explained that no, what I wanted was the opportunity to leave the hotel thinking good things about it instead of negative ones. When things go wrong, a hotel can make it right with small compensations that don't cost them much if anything. But this hotel did not. Not even having a record of the problems and having to bring up the minibar and internet situation at checkout was disappointing. So overall, I have to give it a poor rating for customer service and internal communication. Too bad they didn't make it right... Perhaps the hotel is too large to truly be good, let alone excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank swankyhotels
jengchi, Hotel Representative at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us.

We were under the impression we had resolved this issue to your satisfaction at the time it was brought to our attention. I am sorry if this is not the case. I have left you a message, and look forward to discussing the matter in more detail.

You can also contact our Director of Front Office, Bryan Del Toro at bryan.deltoro@ihg.com, if you would like to provide any additional details.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is a very nice property, with spacious hotel rooms and bathrooms you will never wish to leave. The decor is contemporary, which I like very much. This hotel has all the amenities one could think of: Gym (middle-of-the-road equipment), room service (on time and good) and concierge (great service). I had breakfast at their restaurant, Luce, and enjoyed one of the best egg-white omelets I've ever eaten. I had a drink at their bar...the bartender definitely knew how to make a dirty martini. The location was slightly outside of the main corridor - south of Market Street. Having said that, the hotel was still very much within walking distance of everything. I walked to North Beach and to the Ferry building - took me about 25 minutes and 20 minutes, respectively. If you're not a city dweller, the sirens could disrupt your sleep. Otherwise, I could not hear my upstairs, downstairs or next door neighbors. lastly, service was excellent with a very helpful concierge desk to a wonderful houskeeping team. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: This is not an inexpensive property...so be prepared to drop some bucks. Also, ask for a room on th...
1 Thank CMG1984
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Had the opportunity to stay on the top floor Club room with very nice view over the sea. Upon check-in I was promised to have a free internet during my 7-day stay but when checking out the story was a bit different. Finally hotel decided to give the internet for free as promised. Otherwise there were no problems with anything. Service was good and attentive. Room was kept clean spotlessly and staff was serving with a smile. Since staying that long time I also got a cheese platter and wine on the 4th night from the hotel management and that was nice.

Had my breakfasts usually at the club lounge which offers smaller variety of foods than the restaurant but of the same quality. Club lounge also had free wifi, beverages during the stay and staff was there to help you with dinner reservations or any other matter you might had.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Kim S
Hartsdale, New York
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This was my second (and won't be the last) time staying at the Intercontinental during the SFIGF. It's really close to the Moscone Center and there are a lot of great shopping/dinning places withing a couple of blocks.

Hotel is clean. Upon check in (Room 2523) housekeeping even phoned to check if I needed anything, if the room was to my satisfaction. They replenished the toiletries the first night, just in case. Lovely spacious room. Friendly, helpful staff. Clean. Convenient.

Restaurant has a delicious buffet breakfast as well.

What more could you ask for?

san francisco
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I spent the long weekend presenting workshops at the San Francisco Writer's Conference which took place at the Mark Hopkins on Nob Hill. At the last minute, my husband and I decided to spend the night downtown instead of going back and forth to our home in Monterey Heights. We were matched to the Intercontinental by Hotwire. It was fantastic! The room was luxurious, well designed, beautifully appointed. The bathroom was spotless and had fabulous, organic amenities. The best thing of all is that the whole hotel is LEED gold certified - which means that they use only green cleaning products - so the place is good if you have any sort of chemical sensitivity. Room service arrived in the morning with HOT coffee - the whole stay - perfect!

Room Tip: I am not sure, but I think all rooms have a beautiful view of the bay and downtown.
1 Thank joan g
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We had a nice stay at the InterContinental on two different occasions this month. I'm surprised to read that others were disappointed with the service, because that was clearly the best part of our stay. Staff was very accommodating, giving us an upgrade on our room and the view we requested. We rented a car through the hotel and the concierge staff was friendly and extremely helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable, but clearly for us great service made our stay a pleasant one. The fitness center is great, particularly the lap pool and the jacuzzi. The restaurant is very good, with friendly service. It's a good hotel for business travelers who want no fuss, comfortable accomodations, in particular those attending conferences at the Moscone Center next door.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family