“Nice - but some staff let it down..”

InterContinental San Francisco
Ranked #36 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 April 2012

The previous weekend to staying at the Intercontinental San Francisco, I stayed at the sister hotel in SF, the Mark Hopkins on Nob Hill. This kind of spoilt me and made it hard for anything else to follow.

Likes:
The location for a start, it was two blocks away from Market Street, so made it convenient for shopping, eating, public transport.

The hotel was uber modern, room likewise, with big screen HDTV and Keurig coffee maker (albeit faulty), wouldnt make coffee, just hot water for tea, so tea it was.

The view from my corner room was stunning.. 180 degreee city views, with floor to ceiling windows, again, stunning...

Dislikes:
As I look like a remnant from a 70's rock band, I got treated like I shouldnt have been there, staff looked sideways, didnt know whether to speak. Unlike the Mark Hopkins up the road where you are treated like a star.

Lots of stuffy people around, black suits, curly wire ear pieces, looking important, with no interaction. Same with the doormen, a bit indifferent, sometimes you get a greeting, sometimes not, most of the time you have to open the door yourself.

A real noisy afterwork bar at the end of the lobby.

A real big one was you couldnt sleep in after 8am, because the housemaid servicing the rooms around you were in and out of the rooms letting the doors slam closed onto the extended dead bolt bar, to prevent the door shutting, so it was a constant, bang... bang... bang... In the end I just got up.

Same for putting your "do not disturb" on, the staff would still knock on the door, or ring you up, so no getting an afternoon napp.

The checking in/checking out process was uneventful, staff almost mechanical. Dont get me wrong, they werent rude, they were efficient, did their job well, just not particularly welcoming.

Im a Platinum Ambassador member with this chain and see lots of hotels in the Intercontinental group, this is a great hotel, let down by the lack of that personal warm experience, like you get up the road at the Intercontinental Mark Hopkins.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Musclebearnz
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Dear Musclebearnz,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Brenda J.
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for InterContinental San Francisco

Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed here for three days and everything went to plan. The hotel is well located and it's easy to get to all the main tourist sites. There are some nice small restaurants around a 10-15 minute walk away. Our room was a good size on the 12th floor with a reasonable view. The TV picture was also nice and clear unlike a few places we stayed on this trip. The bathroom was a good size with excellent water pressure. Check in was friendly and pleasant and check out was incredibly efficient. The only downside was the occasional noise from the nearby fire station. We did not eat at the hotel or use any of the facilities. If I could get a room here for the same price again I would definitely stay here again, the only reason for not giving it a 5/5 is a slight lack of wow factor compared to other places we stayed at on this trip for roughly the same price. We were concerned about poor service due to previous reviewers mentioning Expedia guests were not given much love. We did not share this experience during our stay and all our staff interactions were positive.

Room Tip: As high a floor as possible
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2012

The staff at this hotel were exceptional, they advised on fantastic restaurants, day trips and even knew where I could get a decent manicure! Nothing was too much trouble and the club lounge was a pleasant spot for a pre-dinner drink, again with helpful and friendly staff who were polite and helpful. The rooms were well appointed and the hotel is centrally located.

Room Tip: Higher is always better, so see if you can get an upper floor... The views are lovely.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The rooms are clean and modern, flat screen tv, great surround view in corner rooms, the higher you go the view gets better. There is a mall Westfield that is about 5 minutes away walking, all kinds of food and really cool escalator.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have the best views, very quite hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed at the Intercontinental with my 2 children for part of our spring break. The hotel is easy to get to and close to the Moscone center (I may come back next year for a conf!). I didn't use public transportation while at this hotel (I rented, parked, and paid the nutty parking fees!). I'm glad I rented a car since it rained hard for this leg of the trip. We ate breakfast buffet both mornings - very good. Staff were nice and helpful. The room clean. The view was nice - would have been better if it hadn't been raining so much! I enjoyed the hotel. Kids liked it too (and they are picky). I'd say it's really designed more as a conf hotel with its proximity to Moscone. It has a bar that I would have gone to if I had been meeting friends for drinks (instead of shuttling kids to various locations around town). I also stayed at the Westin SF on Market - and the Intercontinental is nicer.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room...although it rained, view was nice!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank nbm5b
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Great location. Not far from the shopping mall and attractions in San Fran. Food was a bit pricey, but it's America - eat out!

Room Tip: Higher floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2012

nothing new , it is intercontinental standards. no special experience but clean and decent

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business