“Clean, Friendly Staff, Safe Neighborhood, Inexpensive, LOVED IT!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Golden Gate Hotel

and 1 more site!
Golden Gate Hotel
Ranked #4 of 71 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Anoka, Minnesota
“Clean, Friendly Staff, Safe Neighborhood, Inexpensive, LOVED IT!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights last week. We were so please with this hotel, we had never been to SF before. We walked to the hotel from the BART station on Powell/Market Streets. It was about 6 blocks and only the last block was very steep. The neighborhood was nice and safe. I was also surprised at how quiet it was at night. We were in a room at the back our first two nights, it was extremely quiet. The last 3 nights we were at the front of the hotel, and there was a minimal amt of street noise, but nothing to keep a person awake.

We had a room with shared bath the first 2 nights, and it was clean, very clean and right outside the door to our room. Our other room with our own bath had a great clawfoot tub, and lots of HOT water, I had a great soak. The beds and pillows were nice and comfy in each room, with soft down-like comforters in each, just perfect for the cool nights in February.

Breakfast: Breakfast was from 8am-10:30am each morning, it was croissants, muffins, juice, and coffee. The almond croissants were the BEST!! The coffee was so good too. We just sat down in the parlor and it wasn't long and we were served warm croissants and muffins, and the hot coffee.

Tea: Tea was served from 4:00-6:30, it was also pleasant. They had homemade cookies, not just store-bought dough, but actual homemade cookies. They were great, and the hot tea was perfect.

Service: The staff each day was perfect, I have nothing bad to say about anyone. They were all sweet and pleasant. Everyone (other customers) we met here was having such an enjoyable time. We kept commenting to each other about coming back to this hotel and recommending it to people. We had our 1 year old with us and the staff was so patient, kind and helpful. We had a great time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

With such amazing history friendly staff, I could not falt anything, the staff were always around when need be, always willing to have a chat to their guest, the cat was always around to get pictures with, the rooms were a good size and as we had booked a shared bathroom, that bathroom was alway clean and tidy, i will hopefully be coming back to stay here

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Erica W
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in September. It is in close walking distance to shopping, restaurants, etc. Spencer was incredible helpful recommending restaurants, so much so that we went to 3 of the places he suggested and they were all fabulous! The breakfasts were simple but delicious, the coffee was amazing. The rooms are very small, and while we had to share bathrooms with other guests, we never had to wait to use it. The only real downside was the bed in our room, it was incredible uncomfortable.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dublin, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights in Oct. 2011. I was very excited to find this place since I prefer staying in smaller hotels and it had great rates. Plus, being a cat lover, Pip also factored into the decision! :) Upon arrival we were greeted by a nice young man that showed us to our room which was in the basement of the building. The room was bright and had lots of natural light but it was a bit stuffy. We may have been in the basement, but due to the fact the hotel is on a hill, there was a window that looked out into a courtyard area between buildings. Room was small but adequate and had 2 full size comfortable beds. This is where things went downhill a bit. After we got settled in we went upstairs to talk to someone at the front desk because we were ready to head out but had no idea where we were, what was close by or how to get around as far as transportation. Got upstairs to the front desk and no one was there. i rang the bell that was on the desk and no one came. I figured maybe the young gentleman who was there when we arrived was showing someone else to their room so I waited patiently. When he didn't show up I rang the bell again and still no one came. I had to go back downstairs and phone the office from my room to get a hold of someone then once I did, go back upstairs and hope they were there. Frustrating. I'm guessing the gentleman who met us was the manager? and we told him we just wanted some info on the area and how to get around. He rushed through a bunch of info and drew some squiggly lines on a map and told us we could go to the drugstore and buy a 3 day trolly pass for 20.00. This may be a good investment for some, but be advised that we could NEVER EVER get on the trolly when we were trying to get back up the hill to the hotel. It is ALWAYS so full that there is just no room to get on. Then they only seemed to run every 10-15 minutes at times so we just said to heck with it and hiked up that hill every night to get back. Complete waste of money. That is not the hotels fault just a heads up for travelers. the first night there, we shared a bath with the room next door. It was located down a hall near the stairs. The bathroom was nice and clean but I didn't like the big window in the shower that was left open for ventilation. A bamboo screen was placed in front of the window from the outside for privacy, but I still wasn't comfortable with it. The stairs run right over the shower so the ceiling in the shower is low. I am 5'4 and hit my head a few times. Not good for tall people. I noticed when I took my shower that someone from the other room had left their shampoo and body wash in the corner of the shower. I thought Oh good I can leave my stuff in the other corner and not have to carry it back and forth from the room to the bathroom. I left my small travel bottle of shampoo, face wash and body wash in there and the next night i went to shower and it was GONE! House keeping had thrown it away. I take partial blame for leaving it, however, if toiletries are going to be thrown away then there needs to be a sign in the bathroom stating that. I had to go down to wallgreens and buy new stuff which ended up costing me a lot of money because they didn't sell any small travel sized things, no it was all big bottles and expensive. Welcome to the big city!!! Then because the bottles were more than 4 oz. I couldn't take them back home on the plane. I told the staff about it and was basically given the Oh well response. One thing that would be nice, is to have a small coffee pot in the room. I traveled with my mom and she is always up at the crack of dawn and has to have her coffee right then, but they didn't serve coffee until breakfast. If you can't have a coffee pot in the rooms then maybe put one out in the common area where people could help themselves any time of day. Also, it would be nice if there were a few more power strips or plug ins in the bedrooms. There just was no where to really to plug in more then one thing at a time. Difficult when you are trying to charge cell phones and batteries for cameras etc. Breakfast was wonderful. They had the best croissants and muffins and a staff that served you. Word of advice....if you arrive late to breakfast it will be difficult to find a place to sit. When we checked out, I was not asked if I enjoyed my stay or if we had a good time. It was strictly take my money and send me out the door. For the price, it was a great place to stay, but the service left something to be desired. Would I stay here again.....maybe. Would I refer a friend on a budget...yes but I would warn them what to expect. I just expected better service for such a small hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank BlueKAlm
Gold Beach, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

This was my first stay with a hotel based on the Trip advisor reviews. We visit SF regularly and try to stay in the area of Union Square or Nob Hill. I like an intimate place in the city so we tried the Golden Gate Hotel for 3 nights in December. Other than the fact you can't park in front of the hotel, unless you are very lucky, to check in and unload, it is a very sweet little place. We enjoyed meeting the other guests at breakfast and the staff is very cordial. The room was extremely small, but clean. It is perfect for single travelers and was OK for my husband and I. I think the price in that location is very fair.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martha Jane S
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

Stayed 2 nights at the Golden Gate and they were great. All the staff there was super nice and went above and beyond supporting us while we searched for our missing luggage and helping us find our way around. Breakfast was tasty and served in a very cute dinning room, (special thanks for the extra large glasses of juice!) The room itself was cozy and warm, the beds were very comfortable. The location of the hotel made it really easy to get out and enjoy the city. Everything was clean and inviting, I only wish I'd had a chance to take a bath in the gorgeous tub. Especially loved meeting Pip (the feline welcoming committee) and the beautiful Cookie. A really great experience overall.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

We just returned from a great little weekend getaway in SF, and had a lovely time at this Hotel. Set in a wonderfully kept historic old townhouse, this place was perfect for a quiet romantic getaway. From the moment we arrived we were charmed by the great service and attention to detail, from the cookies and tea they put out in the afternoon to the bespoke toileteries. The staff are great and Pip the cat is also a great hostess. The rooms are very well appointed and a perfect match between modern comforts (excellent beds, beautiful bath) and the old world charm of the Hotel itself - which even has one of those old school lifts.

Our room was actually so cute and comfortable that we found ourselves retiring early from the cold weather to spend more time relaxing in the comfortable bed. I think my favourite part of the room is that the TV is so small and inadequte, that is barely warrants turning on. Much better to sit in the window with a nice book from downstairs and relax :)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple