“Wonderful”

Ranked #25 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My boyfriend and I chose the Red Vic in the Haight & Ashbury neighborhood when we came up to San Francisco because we wanted a very warm, welcoming environment and that is exactly what we got! It is very quirky; all the rooms have different themes and were decorated by the Inn's owner, Sami. Sami also painted most of the art hanging in the Inn. You can look at all of the rooms online which is really helpful. It is more expensive than a basic hotel, but hotels are impersonal and not what we were shooting for anyway! Before you stay, you have to keep in mind that it is an old victorian building, which comes with its own quirks. Most of the rooms don't have their own bathroom, but we never had a problem with that. In the morning, you can go downstairs to the peace-themed cafe for a complimentary breakfast and good conversation. We met a couple from northern california who were in town playing with their band (and I immediately went home and followed her vintage Etsy store), and an englishman in town for work, all introduced to us by Sami, who is always around for meals. On Sundays, she hosts a breakfast peace talk, which we absolutely loved. There were about five different couples besides us and Sami broke us all up into two separate groups to talk about the topic of the day. We would definitely go back just for that; it was wonderful. You can buy Sami's art in the cafe and take home some of the Red Vic with you. I know that we would go back in a heartbeat if we had the chance!

Room Tip: Check out the rooms on the website so you can book exactly what you're looking for!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank austenkate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Mystic, CT
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We wanted a real old time SF experience and we got it at the Red Vic and really felt we were part of the Haight for 3 days.

Certainly not glamorous or the cutest B&B we have been to in our lives but the people working there were great, it was very interesting breakfast conversations led by Danielle who did a great job incorporating our 15 year old girls, the breakfast which was included was good and fresh and healthy and of course, an interesting tie to the past w/ Sami presiding over the cafe.

Checked in late so keys were left in the lock box and we had no problem getting in. Stayed in the Peacock Suite which was plenty big for parents and two 15 year old girls, used the showers in the hallway (always hot water and never had to wait) for all three days and it was fine, Very funky and fun decor and it was good for 3 days but happy to move on as well.

Was directly in the middle of the Haight and we lacked for nothing for things to do. Golden Gate Park is only 2 blocks away and we rented bikes nearby on Stanyan at the corner of the park, vistited the conservatory which is only a 10 minute walk, discovered the little village of Cole Valley which is only 5 blocks away, this is where the N train is located which is the primary, fast metro to downtown, a fresh crepe place, a late night Italian meal that was terrific, a little french bakery, a few coffee shops and a bit more upscale than Haight Asbury.

Buses in front of the Red Vic for a couple of trips @ and no shortage of shopping or restaurants. a very nice intro to SF and we then moved downstown which was positive as well. Kudos to the staff for making us feel like part of the family.

Room Tip: Check out the aquarium bathroom as does it really flush out of the fish bowl?
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MysticKid
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This place was fine to stay at, very simple. The room I stayed in was quiet. There is a creepy doll on the second floor of the building, but I guess it adds style to the place. It was kept pretty clean too. I had read about bed bugs, so I was a little nervous, but the bed had bed bud covers on it, so I guess they took steps to mitigate the problem. The staff are nice, I think one was new because she did not know that much. The location was good for me for the nights I stayed.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
musicben
Reviewed 29 January 2012

All the rooms are themes. Some are quite basic with no en suite but I keep going back. You need to be in the mood for a commuunal experience but I especially like the shared breakfasts and chats

• Stayed June 2011
Manteca, California
Reviewed 18 January 2012

This place is a really old, huge Victorian in the heart of Haight. We chose this because it was the closest thing to UCSF that I could afford. The pictures make it look a little brighter than it actually is. My son and I stayed in the Poster room. It is on the second floor facing Haight St. so it was kind of noisy. If you are a light sleeper, choose something at the back of the hotel. I'm glad we chose this place because it was very quirky as someone said, so my son really liked it (he is 23). It's clean although very old and dated. The service was the best and the breakfast was a nice break from the continental danish and juice. I had a cheese and egg bagel and my son had a vegetarian bagel with lots of things on it. One thing I really disliked though was that there is no coffee in the room and you can't get it downstairs until breakfast at 9. From 9am -8pm, when they close, you can get free coffee or tea so that was nice when we came back in the evening. I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: If you don't like street noise, get something in the back.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tina C
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 January 2012

The location is key here. You could spend at least $100 *more* and stay downtown, but why? Staying here puts you right in the middle of the Haight with the rest of the city easily accessible via the MUNI N line. Walking distance of Golden Gate Park.

What you should know though, is that this place is basic and quirky. Think hostel except you don't need to share your room with anyone, but you will share a bathroom. Soap available, but bring your own shampoo/conditioner. We stayed in the Earth Charter room in the back of the B&B and it was very, very quiet. Bed comfy, furnishings simple. For breakfast you have some options and they're pretty tasty. Surprises everywhere -- make sure you check out the aquarium bathroom. Service very friendly and helpful...coffee and tea free when the cafe is open, they'll store your luggage for you, and they'll definitely help you with directions and things to do and see.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back, away from Haight St, are quieter. A few rooms have their own bathroom if that...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My wife and I recently spent a night here and were definitely not blown away. The room was fine (we stayed in the redwood room) but was somewhat dated for the price. Breakfast was included and was quite good. The B&B is advertised as a living peace museum but it really seemed more like a Sami Sunchild museum. I've not met Sami and I'm sure she's a nice person and all but we definitely felt like it was Sami overload. There are even newspapers in the bedroom and in the coffee shop that are 100% about Sami. We thought that a peace center would exude a bit more humility and modesty but instead we learn more and more about the trials and tribulations of Sami. As I said, I'm sure she's a lovely woman but I think we'll pass on the Red Vic next time.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple