Well, first of all, I love San Francisco, and, my favorite haunt is the Haight-Ashbury area.
I have stayed at the Red Vic multiple times, which means I obviously like it enough, I just feel like they could maybe do a little updating. Most of the rooms share several bathrooms located on the various floors. This is somewhat awkward, but never too much of a hassle.
Sami, the owner, and "Peaceful world foundation" creator, seems to have kept everything exactly the same for at least 40 years.
The themes are cute, albeit dated, and most things are down right worn out. The location is excellent, close to Golden Gate park and the Haight. The free breakfast a great plus, (a breakfast sandwhich or muffin and coffee or tea, this changed a bit the last time I was there, and there are more limited choices).
The fellow patrons are interesting, to make conversation with, and Sami can be found in the cafe many mornings talking to hotel guests.
All in all, this place is pretty cool, but the beds are so hard!
Coming home late at night, you are welcomed by a group of homeless, dreadlocked loiterers who always seem to be hanging outside the door at night.
But, the place is locked, with multiple keys and multiple doors, so I never felt unsafe.
I will likely come back, because i really like this overall vibe of this place, but i just feel that for the price of at least $110/night, an upgrade to the mattresses and pillows should be feasible, keep the old bedspreads and curtains if you must, but PLEASE, give us a better night's sleep. I have stayed in three rooms so far, and each time I go home needing my neck adjusted from the Chiropractor.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This is not your typical hotel! Staying at The Red Vic is more like coming home to family and friends than checking into a hotel. We are a community that values collaboration, participation, and connections. We ask you to fill out a profile so we can share that information about what you're up to with other guests and residents, facilitating interactions and collaborations. This is a participatory space, and we hope it will be a platform for your creative projects and ideas. What do you want to create? The ground floor is a member-supported 3rd space for projects, gatherings, events and activities. There is a communal kitchen that is always fully stocked with food for everyone to use. Guests are also encouraged to attend or host an event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Red Victorian LLC reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Red Victorian Bed, Breakfast And Art
- Red Victorian Bed, Breakfast & Art Hotel San Francisco