“beware, they cancel at the last minute”
Review of Red Victorian LLC

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Red Victorian LLC
Ranked #24 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 December 2015

The Red Victorian describes itself as a collaborative living space, requesting you to fill out a form about yourself before they will accept you as a guest. They will then confirm your reservation, take your money and cancel your reservation the day before you are due to arrive, with no explanation, no telephone number to contact anyone. Just an email. For a community purporting to be supportive, interactive and collaborative, this is the total opposite - nobody living within a community would treat a fellow with such disrespect and outward disdain - our experience was nothing short of appalling. As we had to find alternative accommodation at less than 24 hours notice, I can't comment on the style and amenities as we didn't get to step inside and the rating is 1 as you have to give it something....

Room Tip: don't bother
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
18  Thank Sophie J

Reviewed 18 October 2015

The Red Victorian room (Flower Child) was a standard room and was very clean. The area (Haight Street) was not the best at night and limited what we did after dark since we did not feel comfortable walking outside to get to anywhere local or to the bus stop.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katie L
Brittany F, Manager at Red Victorian LLC, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2016

Hi Katie,
Thanks for this feedback! I can definitely understand how someone who isn't used to a city with a transient/homeless population could think that Haight St might be unsafe at night, but actually this is completely untrue. Our neighborhood is vibrant, with lots of music and gatherings, and friendly people from all over the world and all walks of life. It's one of the last truly 'San Francisco' neighborhoods because of this, and that's something we value having around. Also, with many bus lines within two blocks of our building, getting anywhere in the city is especially easy and safe. We really appreciate this insight, and in response are adding some useful information about the surrounding area in our FAQ.

Reviewed 13 September 2015

Great people, location and atmosphere. If you are not into Hotel chains, this place is for you ! Visited before heading to Burning Man and was great to meet fellow burners. Shared space was great to share stories/experiences.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2015 via mobile

In choosing the Red Vic we were looking for a non-trad experience and we certainly got one. The common space on the first floor is more interesting and welcoming than any chain hotel. You can meet other travelers or the folks who reside here.
The rooms are akin to any nice, clean B&B. And we liked the range in rooms - some with bathrooms some with shared bathrooms and some with bunkbeds - hostel style. It's a big old house so voices travel but we didn't experience any overly loud people.
The staff here is really great. Our flight was cancelled and we were able to easily call and switch our stay to another night. You don't get that level of service at a big chain!!!
Full kitchen with TONS of food you are free to eat! Bike rental place next door gave us a deal for staying at Red Vic.
Lots of great eats within walking distance. We wish we could have stayed longer.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TDOK
Reviewed 13 July 2015

If you want to stay in a place that really reflects the atmosphere of the Haight in a good way, this is it. My son and I, who prefer hotels with personality and character, love the Red Vic, wouldn't stay anywhere else to explore this region, but this wonderfully funky hotel definitely isn't for everyone. Checking in on a Sunday evening we were able to get free parking on Haight street right at the hotel's door step since the parking is free after 6 on Sunday until 9 AM on Monday. Single rooms are expensive. I paid $185 (tax included) for one night in a small room (no air conditioning but you're not likely to need it) with a shared bath that looked out on the Haight. Interior rooms are a little cheaper and quieter. Good restaurants, coffee shop and bars just steps from the hotel. We ate at a great Thai restaurant.There are shared rooms for $65 per night. The bed is wonderful, the hotel is clean, the guests are super friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Weybridgewanderer
Reviewed 28 May 2015

The Red Vic served its purpose...an affordable resting spot within an historic neighbourhood, with great eclectic food and shopping options nearby. The self-important profiles of the other residents will make your eyes roll back in your head, and for a place centered on communal living, the fellow residents were incredibly inconsiderate. The 11pm quiet-time curfew was not followed, and there was excessive loud talking and door slamming up and down the stairs (our room was adjacent to the stairs on the 1st floor). The smell of the recycling and garbage wafted up the stairs right into our room - not very pleasant.

The rooms are spartan but clean and comfortable...very nice beds and linens, with a little sink in our room. If we had a mirror in the room it could have saved us from having to use the communal bathroom so much.

I would recommend to anyone who wants to save a few bucks, and who doesn't mind sharing a bathroom with 4-5 other bedrooms, and who doesn't mind sleeping with earplugs firmly implanted.

Room Tip: away from the staircase
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank wandernotlost1
Reviewed 19 April 2015

My room was not made when I arrived. I checked with the "front desk" and they said something like "we try to do something about it".

Also, the key for the room I received after asking for it... did not lock the door - at least I was not able to lock it.

When I returned from dinner in the evening I could not get to my room since the code I had been provided for the street door of the building was disabled. I again checked with the staff and they eventually let me in....

On that evening they had a party going on the patio of the hotel. That was ok since I had been put on notice by this in advance by email - they even upgraded me to a better room (in the second floor) because of that. However, I was not so pleased that the party guest were in the middle of a guided tour through all floors of the hotel when I finally made to my room in the evening.

The sink in my bathroom was clogged.

The staff of the RedVic to which I spoke was not unfriendly, however, I paid almost 200 dollars for my stay and for this simply not the right value for this kind of money. In any case the charm the RedVic once possessed is gone.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo