“No parking!!'” 3 of 5 bubbles

Super 8 San Francisco/Near the Marina
Ranked #156 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
“No parking!!'”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

There are half the number of parking spaces than there are units. Street parking in the area is almost impossible.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Socalcouture

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here at the end of September, 2011. To make a long story short, I got bed bugs. I didn't realize what it was (I don't have any prior experience with bed bugs) until I got home and did some research. I am certain they are bed bug bites (over 50 on my arms, legs and torso) and I saw bed bug feces on the mattress. I immediately started washing everything from our luggage and the clothes we were wearing and called the hotel. The workers were, how should I say, less than helpful. They told me they "monitor these things" and that "this is normal." I don't think so!!! I called almost every day for over a week trying to get ahold of the manager to get a refund, but no return call. "He's very busy...we don't know when he'll be in...what's your name again?" Nobody called me back until I filed a complaint with the chain's upper management. Then they offered me 25% off my next stay! Are you kidding me? Don't be ridiculous, I will NEVER stay with you again! After way too much effort and frustration, they only gave me a refund for one night. My husband and I have 4 small children and getting away like that happens less than rarely and that hotel ruined an otherwise enjoyable trip.

--Itchy in the city

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Maylin F

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

This hotel was very clean, except for the carpet, but who cares. That's why I always pack slippers. The sheets, pillows and bedding were abundant and very comfortable and clean. The fridge and microwave were clean. The large TV was nice. The location is a wonderful little neighborhood with shops, delis, bars and restaurants. True, it's not Fisherman's Wharf. I believe it's called the Mariana area. I stayed there for the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival and mass transit to the park and other parts of the city was excellent. The lady in the lobby was very sweet and helpful with bus information. So, the little lobby smelled like Indian food. Who cares? The Indian staff probably microwaves their lunch in there. If you want a five-star hotel in an expensive city, you have to pay five-star prices, but if you want a nice, decent, clean relatively inexpensive hotel in San Fran, this Super 8 is a great deal. And once again, there were no bed bugs at all, and I'm very paranoid about that.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank deeb30
Hermosa Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

I’m in no way a hotel snob and I’m generally pretty tolerant of lower end motels since I take a number of mtn bike trips/camping trips per year that include staying in smaller motels and even some hostels. …

LOCATION - This hotel is NOT in the Fisherman's Wharf area. They are misleading consumers with name. It's actually located +/- 23 blocks from the Fisherman's Wharf area (6-blocks south and 17-blocks west). It's on the west side of the city, closer to the Presidio area

PARKING - As you may or may not know, parking in San Fran like other major cities is at a premium. I selected this hotel because I was told that "my room rate" included free parking. What they neglected to tell me was that there is LIMITED parking @ the property. When I arrievd there were no spaces available. They said I could park on the street for free (overnight) which required me to stay up later than I wanted to and get up earlier than I needed to in order to not get a ticket. I would have happily paid for parking but there is none to be found in the area.

On to the review: The room had a VERY bad cigarette smoke smell which was exacerbated when the A/C turned on. If it wasn't so disgusting it would be comical since you're required to sign a release stating that if you smoke in the room, you're subject to a $250.00 cleaning fee!?!

The carpet was dirty, so dirty that when you stepped in the shower, your feet left black marks on the shower floor!

The next word I’ll use as a descriptor will be THIN, applicable to a number of items. The walls were paper thin. You could hear the television and conversations in the adjoining rooms. The pillows were terribly old and thin, hard as a rock. 3rd, the floors for the rooms on the floors above provided absolutely no sound insulation (you guessed it, thin again!). You could hear every step someone took above you as well as toilets flushing. 4th, the towels were so thin you could almost see through them. You could feel the springs when you rolled over.

I could go on but I think you get the idea.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Tappan
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

We picked this hotel as it was relatively cheap for this time of year in the location we wanted. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room was a lot larger and nicer than we expected. The decor was dated but this is expected for the good price. The hotel was very clean and comfortable. The free wi-fi was very fast! Also we had a room on the street-front and didn't have any problems with noise. The location was fantastic. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Fullerton, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

The hotel was nice and clean, although the advertised FREE PARKING was limited to 17 spaces, and they were always full. The hotel staff were not friendly. I had already paid for my stay via hotels.com and they knew because they asked for my reservation confirmation papers. However, when I got home and was checking my account, they had double charged me for my stay. I tried calling both hotels .com and this hotel but I got no answer, hotels.com kept hanging up on my call after making me wait. There was absolutely no answer on this hotel-I was calling before 8 p.m.!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank mjbasa
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

We were scared at first cause we didn't know if this place would off been good. We have had bad experience in super 8 in the pass, I can say that our stay in super 8 this time was great. The room was clean and the people were great as well. It just made it so comfortable staying there. A plus they also have room service, witch is great. The most important thing was the price. We will come back for sure. I forgot to say the parking is free! :)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple