“Keep Looking for a Hotel”

Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer
Ranked #88 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
New York, NY
“Keep Looking for a Hotel”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

To give you a sense of how bad this hotel is, this is my first hotel review after years and years of traveling for pleasure and business. If you're looking for a clean, comfortable hotel room in downtown SF, keep looking.

I had an early business meeting in SF. I was flying in the night before and immediately after the meeting, flying to LA, so I wanted an inexpensive hotel in downtown SF for one night. I found the Crescent and after reading reviews on Trip Advisor, I was cautiously optimistic.

I arrived from NYC very tired. The Crescent is two blocks from Union Square, but the block is a little creepy. Entering the hotel, I was happy with my choice. The lobby is clean and sleek. All would be good.

I checked in. There was only one person at the front desk so I needed to wait a bit. The lady was friendly but had a very difficult time understanding English. Perhaps it was my thick New York accent, but she only got about half of what I said.

Took the elevator up to room 401. What a dump! Holy cow! And it smelled *so* bad. Maybe from the cleaning products. I'm not sure. I am not at all sensitive to smells, but this was horrible. Perhaps this explained the Dyson air cleaner in the room?

The room overlooked the street and a parking garage. Noise was pretty bad. The room was in a desperate need of a paint job and overall dingy. The heat was lacking and the room was freezing.

I went to hang up my suit for my meeting in the morning, but alas, there was no closet. Instead, I had a coat rack in the room. I couldn't believe it, so I took a picture, which I've attached.

I went to set the alarm for my meeting, but there was no alarm. There was no clock at all and no radio in the room.

I went to clean my glasses, but there was no tissue in the room. There is, however, a 24-hour Walgreens within 2 blocks of the hotel, so for a whopping $1.59, I purchased a box of tissues.

Is this how the Crescent keeps their costs down - no heat, no tissues, no radio, no alarm clock?

In the morning, I went for a run. The woman that checked me in gave me a map, but just to be certain, I asked the gentleman at he front desk about the route she recommended. Glad I did. He gave me a better route that was great. Glad I asked. The guy seemed good, so I asked if he could hold my key while I ran, which he did.

Came back from my run and again there was only one person at the front desk so I needed to wait 10 minutes to get my key. Very frustrating.

Went back to my room to take a shower, No bath towels - just cheap, small towels that had been washed a few too many times. The towels were shredded. I should have brought my own towel.

Had some time to kill so I ate a little bit at the continental breakfast. It was 'ok', at best.

Finally checked out and asked for a bill. I was told I couldn't get an itemized bill because I booked through Hotel.com. (I actually booked through Expedia.com, but that's irrelevant.) I never stayed at a hotel that couldn't give me a receipt at check-out.

I know I went in to great detail. I just wanted to show that there was a problem at every turn at the Crescent. The only positive is its great location to Union Square, but I would have preferred to walk a few extra blocks to get a clean room with a clock radio, no smell and towels that weren't shredded.

If you're looking for a hotel room in downtown SF, keep looking.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank where1swaldo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We recently spent a week at the Crescent Hotel, it was everything the other reviewers mentioned. We had a room at the front of the hotel and it was very noisy, but we spent so little time in the room that we didn't bother complaining or trying to get moved, on the plus side the room was a good size and the bed was really comfortable. I thought the reception staff were friendly and helpful. What this hotel has going for it is the location and the price. We booked on hot-wire and it cost approx $60 a night and it is right downtown and for this reason I would stay there again

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front of the building
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank food-travel-fun
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2012

From the moment you enter you can see this hotel is not particularly well run. The staff were not that helpful. When we arrived their system had crashed and they had no way to check us in. No real apology... just have to wait ...great ater a 12 hour journey from the UK! The room was nice with good bedding and plenty of space..it was a junior suite and other rooms we saw looked a bit lower quality. The main complaint has to be the quality of the breakfast room and breakfast served in it. The venue is a large barely furnished room next to reception and has to be the most depressing place anyone has had sit through breakfast in. It looks pretty dirty with barely any natural light and fluoresecent lighting completing the picture. The juice was one up from Sunny Delight (not real juice) and the rest amounted to very basic offerings...better to go out and avoid the early morning depression even if it costs a few dollers. The best thing the hotel has going is its central location but there are plenty of others just as central and i'd imagine most would offer better value for money overall.

1 Thank Gmac1259

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

London
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stayed in room 411 which is along side the outside of the building with a narrow street outside. The street noise was audible but not a problem at all and did not disturb sleep. The garbage men come at 6:30 am and make a noise but it is only for 10 mins at most.
The room was very trendy with an exposed brick wall and a lovely big bed. We had a TV and dressing table. The bath room was not large but everything was clean and worked properly. The bed was very comfortable and the room was nice and dark.
There was an evening event going on down stairs but we could not hear it at all in our room.
The breakfast is thrown in free of charge as it's more of an afterthought. Saying that it had everything you need for a continental breakfast with tea and coffee available.
I would recommend it as it is only 3 mins walk to union sq but nice and quiet. I would stay there again on my next visit. We booked through bookings.com and got a good deal. The staff are extremely helpful and knowledgable too.

Room Tip: 411 is on a street but away from the main road and away from any event noise from down stairs.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Joannesstuff
Delano, California
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I stayed here on February 16, 2012 for my anniversary.This was my first time visiting SF.My main attraction to this hotel was the location,reviews, price and union square.I originally booked a queen bed but we got upgraded to a suite for no charge which was awesome!!
I plan to stay here again for my next trip which is the 23 of this month.Valet parking is only like $25 being said that everywhere else is like $40.The staff were so helpful and friendly.I'm so happy and satisfied with my stay here.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
jlavivong
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I didn't know what to expect paying less than $100 for a night but It was a great deal! We also scored an upgrade to a suite. It's a basic room with bed, tv, bathroom and mini fridge. Much like other buildings, its old but the furniture is very modern! Loved the location! We walked every where, did not need a car at all! We did I do recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank jlavivong
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This is a great little hotel if you are in San Francisco to see the city. The rooms are small but nicely refurbished, but there are no views. They include a euro-style breakfast which is a plus in this expensive city. There is no air conditioning in the rooms. The staff is great.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger rooms on the sunny south side on the highest floor possible.
2 Thank krobinto