All reviewsjapan townfillmore streetshabu shabuyoga matquiet areapacific heightsbalcony roomwine hourgreat neighborhoodfire pitfront desk staffrestaurants and shopsrooms are largevery pleasant staycomplimentary wineboutique hotelbathroom door
Reviewed August 9, 2018

I'd never stayed in this area of SF before, but didn't want to be in the more touristy areas of SF. The neighborhood did not disappoint, with an abundance of Japanese restaurants & stores, with the more trendy Filmore area near by. The hotel was clean, although the room could have used a comfortable chair or 2, since the only option to sit was the bed. It had a Japanese vibe, going with the neighborhood. The downstairs staff was very helpful, and they offered wine in the afternoon. It was a nice alternative, and with Lyft, convenient enough to most of the city,

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Emily G, General Manager at Kimpton Buchanan, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2018

Hello and thank you, 985elaine! I'm glad that you have become a fan of these great neighborhoods, and that you found our location to be so convenient. Hopefully you'll be back, so I'll give you the insider's tip: about half of our rooms have a desk with a rolling task chair (great for the solo business traveler), while the others offer a bistro table with two chairs. So, feel free to request the latter configuration for your next visit! Thank you.

Reviewed August 8, 2018

Our stay was booked thru a travel agent. There were no issues upon our arrival. The front desk agent saw in our reservation that we were celebrating mile stone birthdays and they sent a bottle of wine of our choosing up to our room.

We were able to check in early and leave our bags after checking out as we had a late flight out of the city. The room had a yoga mat for guests to use. We had the best sleep! Iced water available all day in the lobby along with good coffee in the morning and iced teas in the afternoon.

Once we returned home I called the hotel and asked them to mail me copies of the street maps. Even though I offered to pay, the front office manager took care of everything and promptly mailed the maps to me in a tube to ensure that they didn't get bent or wrinkled.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Emily G, General Manager at Kimpton Buchanan, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2018

What a lovely review to read! Thank you, cmschmitty. I have just emailed the manager to congratulate her on getting caught doing the right thing and taking great care of your map request. I'm happy but not surprised to hear that she handled it as she would have for a friend :). We will also thank the hardworking team members who manage the morning coffee and summertime iced tea. I'm glad those did the trick for you during your stay. Happy birthday once again and hope to see you for the next one, if not before!

Reviewed August 6, 2018

Great hotel at the heart of Japantown and within a short walk from bars and restaurants on Fillmore. The restaurant specialises in shabu-shabu and offers a Japanese breakfast alongside more traditional fare. Complimentary glass of wine in the evening with other guests is a nice touch! Staff were very helpful and knowledgeable about the area.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Emily G, General Manager at Kimpton Buchanan, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2018

Well, thank you very much, TPS_Rissanen! I like the image of you relaxing at our nightly manager-hosted reception with a nice glass of wine, mingling with other guests. For just one more month, we are also featuring two summertime additions: rose wine and a vodka spritzer, with a portion of proceeds from that spirit going to the Trevor Project. So let us welcome you back again some time between now and Labor Day :)!

Reviewed August 6, 2018

Had a very comfortable stay and the management there are so accommodating - enjoyed the free wine and the food in their restaurant was really fresh and tasty.
I would recommend this boutique hotel to stay in for everyone with and without family a great experience
Very well located in Japan town where sushi is also around the corner and the supermarket and great breakfast place called Sweet Maple

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Yum, Sweet Maple is so good! The Fillmore Bakeshop is also amazing for a pastry or quiche and coffee on the go. For sushi, I like to recommend Kippu, which is less than a block away between the Hotel and the Peace Plaza Pagoda. I'm glad you enjoyed exploring the neighborhood and also visiting Mums restaurant right here under our roof. Hope to see you next time!

Reviewed August 5, 2018 via mobile

If you are looking to avoid the busy touristic accommodation spots, get the feel of the SF vibe and still be to the hot spots and destinations, then Kimpton Buchanan is the place to be. We loved the location, the atmosphere, the restaurants around, the great welcoming staff that shared all the great places to visit and be. Big thanks to Rey, who gave us great ideas for dinning which we all checked and loved.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Thanks so much, VenetaLora! I have just sent a big thank you over to Rey and congratulated him in front of his peers. I know he'll be happy to see your comments and know that he made a difference in your visit to lovely San Francisco.
We do indeed pride ourselves on being out of the hustle and bustle while also very convenient. Thanks for noticing that, and appreciating the Buchanan as a home base!