“mediocre service”

Ranked #110 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Lebanon, Oregon
“mediocre service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Very slow check in, medium rooms and you better be sure you understand the rates you will be charged when you check in. Convenient location but i am not sure i would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Springer077

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Korean first
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

We are seaoned travellers worldwide, stayed in 5 star luxery hotels to 2 star basic hotels so we recognise good or poor service standards when we see it, that said the Comfort Inn by the Bay was a very good hotel it was value for money, clean with a breakfast thrown in.

Although were from the U.K it didn't take us long to work out the menu at breakfast, plenty to fill you up for the morning until lunch and plenty of choice. the hotel s in an ideal position for getting aound because when we are on city breaks we walk everywhere so this was perfectly located for all major attractions in San Fransisco.

All in all a good comfortable stay, staff pleasant and helpful, perhaps the staff at the The Pensylvania, opp Madison Sq. Gardens, New York should visit this hotel to see how it's done.
San Fransisco itself loved it, amazing trip, met lot's of helpful locals alcatraz trip will be etched in my memory forever, the walk across the Golden Gate Bridge to Salsillito is well woth the effort.

Den & Angela

Room Tip: Try a walk to Salsalitto, definately don't miss a trip to Alcatraz Island, also don't make t...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Den G
COMF_SFO, Manager at Comfort Inn by the Bay, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
We look forward to seeing you again -
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

We spent 5 nights here in April 2012 and 2 nights here in 2010. We booked a room with a view of the bay! It was worth the extra money! The breakfasts are good. My husband ate a waffle every day - so did I. There was also sausage and 2 types of eggs, different breads and cerials, fruit, juice, coffee, etc. It is also very close to the Fisherman's Warf area, perhpas a 10 minute walk.

In 2012 we originally had only booked 3 nights on-line. We decided to stay for two extra nights if possible, we got excellent help from the receptionist and she found us another room for two more nights!

San Francisco iself is wonderful and this hotel helped us have a good nights sleep after a long day of sight-seeing.

Some drawbacks was that they did not have 'community computers' for the guests to use. They did however have WI in every room - our problem is that since we come from Europe, we did not have our PC with us - we don't have room in our luggage since airlines only allow 1 bag per person now. Also the two chairs in our two different rooms in 2012 were comfortable but SHABY. They need to be recovered with new fabrics. Otherwise no complaints. The rooms and beds were comfortable. We have stayed on the 11th, 9th and 8th floors. All were very good.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a bay-view!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

After my second visit to this hotel, I loved it even more... This hotel is extremely clean... Each day the housekeeping staff did a wonderful job of tending to our room. The bathroom was sqeaky clean, and the maid even folded some clothes I had left on the floor... What a nice gesture. The breakfast that is included in standard, but appreciated as it held me over until lunch each day - the front desk staff are very friendly, but its a busy place, and they seem shortstaffed - overall I recommend this hotel to any family looking for a good valuable alternative to the very expensive hotels at fisherman wharf - the comfort inn is close enough for a 15 minute walk to pier 39 -

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
mineral city
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

The location was great,had no problem walking to the wairf, and cabel car station. The staff was rude and not helpful at all, asked for a wakeup call, they never did call. When we mention it to the staff they looked down at the desk and only said oh really no apology. The breakfast need to be at least an hour longer to accomadate that many people. I like Comfort Inn but not this one

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Twain Harte, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My daughter and I chose to stay in this hotel because we had to stay in San Francisco for the night after seeing a local theater production in Marin. We checked in early, and right away I was not thrilled with this hotel. The lobby, although small, is very nicely furnished, but we were greeted with less than a smile when we checked in. OK...so the staff have had a bad day...I get it, and I can deal with that...we all have THOSE kinds of days. But when I got to my room, it was "clean" but EXTREMELY small. OK, old building, I can handle that. No refrigerator - no microwave (which I was accustomed to having at the many other Comfort Inns, so was very surprised - although it may have said that the room didn't come with that on the website and I didn't notice?) -- room seemed clean enough. So we went to our theater show, and returned around 11 pm. We were told at check in that parking was $29 (which the clerk was quick to tell me all other hotels in the area charge $40 to $75 a night for parking, so we were getting "a deal") - ok, so we went to pull into the parking structure under the building, and they had parked a tour bus on the entrance side of the driveway! So in order to get into the parking, we had to go around on to the exit side - that doesn't sound bad in and of itself - but this was a narrow entry, so we barely fit around the bus, and it was dangerous because we could not see if there would be any on-coming traffic trying to leave the building. Then, we had to "check in" via speaker before the gate would open. I can appreciate the extra security, BUT.....we had to tell the attendance on the speaker our name and room number.....and then show him the parking pass given at check in. I had left the parking pass in the back of the car (and wasn't told that I would need it when I checked in, by the way...) so I had to literally SQUEEZE myself out of the car and go to the back to get the parking pass, only to find that he had gone ahead and opened the gate anyway, after all my trouble (there was very little space between my car door and the speaker, thus the "squeezing" and I am not a big person!).....so we got parked and got back to our room. Then we checked the bed to find BEDBUGS in one of the beds. Actually, we only saw one bedbug, but where there is one, there are many more. By this time is was 11:30. I called the front desk...and KUDOS to the guy we talked to this time - great customer service! He immediately apologized and offered to put us into another room, but we said no thanks. By this time we were pretty fed up with all the little inconveniences, and creeped out by the bedbug (my daughter looked up a picture online so we KNOW it was a bedbug) so we checked out immediately and moved to another Comfort Inn nearer to where we needed to be the next day. All in all, the only good thing I could say about this hotel was that the clerk who checked us out via phone was great! Other than that, I would say stay away from this hotel unless you want poor parking that you pay for, cranky clerks to check you in, and the possibility of bedbugs. Also, this was a very busy hotel - lots of tour buses - so if you want a quieter hotel, look elsewhere.
Oh, and by the way....we travel ALOT on business so we know good service and a good hotel from a bad hotel -- sorry Confort Inn by the Bay, but we just cannot recommend you. We are not picky people - we are easy to please - but you just didn't get our vote this time.

Room Tip: Dont go to room 502 - that is where we were!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Meleani W
COMF_SFO, Manager at Comfort Inn by the Bay, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Melanie,

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay at the Comfort Inn by the Bay. We take great pride in our hotel and in the services we offer and I am disappointed to hear that we fell short of your expectations. We are constantly striving to improve our product and services, and it is through comments like yours that we are able to recognize any deficiencies that may exist and correct them. We apologize if this was not the case during your stay and have reviewed the room inspection process with the Executive Housekeeper to ensure our strict standards are maintained at all times. We conduct an inspection of our guest rooms with our Housekeeping staff on a daily basis. We also conduct ongoing training with our Housekeeping staff to recognize and report any issues that may arise. Furthermore, we call on our certified pest management company to also inspect our hotel and can assure you that the hotel does not have a bed bug problem. I appreciate that you also brought your parking experience to our attention so that in the future we can arrange for tour buses not to block the hotel entrance.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience these issues may have caused and hope that you will consider the Comfort Inn by the Bay again if ever staying in San Francisco in the future. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us because we are always looking for ways to improve our guest stay.

Regards,

Hotel Manager
Pembroke Pines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We traveled for 10 days so we needed to stay on budget, the comfort inn is walking distance to the warf, its quiet, and the price cannot be beat. Room was clean with a great view of golden gate bridge. Bed was pretty comfortable, shower had good water pressure, its not fancy but it does the job. Free wi-fi. Free continental breakfast included coffee, juice, waffles, toast, cereal, eggs, sausage, and jam, it helped us save money. Breakfast gets a little busy and seats fill up fast, so I recommend getting there a little early and skipping the hassle. Only two small elevators and a lot of rooms so sometimes you were waiting for a while to get to your room, especially during check-in time. I would definately stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple