“Charming Hotel in Pacific Heights”
Review of Hotel Drisco

Hotel Drisco
Ranked #1 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 December 2011

This lovely hotel is situated in one of the most beautiful residential neighborhoods in San Francisco. The hotel oozes charm without being too fussy. The staff goes out of their way to be friendly and helpful.
We stayed one night in a one bedroom view suite. The rooms were spacious and light and decorated in a traditional style. The bed was luxurious. The bathroom was large, but a little dated. There was no closet in the room, but an armoire in the bathroom, which was fine for a short stay. The furniture was really beautiful and spotless. We could see a bit of the bay from the window. The only downside was listening to the neighbor's TV in the morning and late at night.
There is a generous cold breakfast buffet in the morning and wine and nibbles in the evening.
This is an amazing neighborhood to walk around. The homes are just fabulous as are the views. The doorman told us about a gorgeous walk to and around the Presidio--what a perfect way to start the day.
The only downside is there are few restaurants within walking distance and the noisy TV in the room next door.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the corner with a view.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sparky22
Write a ReviewReviews (1,528)

Reviewed 12 December 2011

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel for years, since it was called the El Drisco Hotel and before that I stayed with my daughter. It has a lovely ambience with a friendly and helpful staff. The rooms can be small but if you ask for one of the back rooms on the top floor , you get a lovely room with a view. They serve wine and cheese in the afternoon and a hearty breakfast , both of which are included . We would highly recommend this hotel. It is located in Pacific Heights, away from the hustle of downtown San Francisco, but close enough to get to everything.

Room Tip: Suites facing the side street are bright , roomy and quiet. Back rooms on the top floor have a love...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank caryl g
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Perfect on all counts: clean, comfortable, friendly service from management, bellhops, front desk, servers and housekeeping. The residential location was great for us while we visited our daughter in the Cow Hollow section) away from the bustling downtown area. Lovely, substantial continental breakfast (included) add to the value. Will return for sure!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank amtg
Reviewed 23 November 2011

This Hotel is one of the nicest hotel's I have ever stayed in. It is understated and elegant, with wonderful service. It is boutique in the true sense of the word. This is not a hotel for people who want spas and extensive room service, but it is a great hotel for those who like a comfortable, quite beautiful place to relax in while staying in SF. My husband and my six year old son went up to stay a couple of days before thanksgiving to show our son the sights and sounds of this lovely city and we couldn't have had a better time. The Hotel is situated on tippy top of Pacific Heights, one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in SF.We arrived at night quite late tired from our travels, to be told that we had been up graded to a corner suite! Our room on the 4th floor was simply elegant, I think originally this hotel used to be a boarding house back in the day so the rooms are quite substantial. When we woke up in the morning we were greeted by the most beautiful views of San Francisco. The decor of the rooms and hotel is gorgeous, simple and understated and in keeping with the turn of the century architecture. I think a lot of hotels when they say free continental breakfast will have cereal and a few croissants maybe, The continental breakfast at Hotel Drisco, which is served in a beautiful breakfast room, is what a real continental breakfast should be. Beautiful fresh pastries, fresh fruit, porridge, cheeses, bagels, yoghurts. I was delicious! They also have wine tasting in the evening in the sitting room, but we never managed to get to it. From the hotel you can walk to a lot of the best places in SF; the first day we walked down one side of the hill to the Academy of Science (well worth a visit) in Golden Gate Park, and stopped at a great playground on the way called Rossi playground ( on Arguello blvd and Anza street), after the science academy went across and had a cup of tea at the Japanese Tea Garden ( lovely!). The second day we went down the other side of the hill to the Palais of Fine Arts. Both walks were through some of the prettiest streets in SF, the architecture in this neighborhood is beautiful, and it is very enjoyable just to meander down these streets catching views of the Golden Gate Bridge as you make your way down. You can also walk to a lot of great restaurants (might want to get a taxi back though as it is up hill all the way!). But yes, you can’t go wrong at the lovely Hotel Drisco!

Room Tip: 4th floor with a view if you can it's worth it!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank franola
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2011

Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your kind comments. I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you to learn that I agree Hotel Drisco is one of San Francisco's best kept secrets! However, with all of the great reviews here on TripAdvisor, we are becoming less of a secret, making it that much more important to secure your reservation with us well in advance. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards,

John Spear

Reviewed 22 November 2011

We selected this hotel after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and am so glad we did.
What a perfect place to relax after being out and about all day.
Everything about this hotel was perfect.
If you want a quiet,safe, comfortable hotel with great service and polite,efficient staff, this is the place.
The complementary breakfast and afternoon wine and finger food just added to the great value Hotel Drisco provides.

2  Thank johnumina
Reviewed 17 November 2011

next time we visit sf we will stay here. the location was quiet and beautiful, the staff was friendly and sincere, the breakfast was very nice. I'll send my friends and family.

2  Thank lilianna s
Reviewed 14 November 2011

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights in November and I can honestly say that in all the hotel stays over a 30 year period, we have never experienced service and hospitality that matched the Hotel Drisco.
Being sceptical by nature I was suspicious of all the great reviews this hotel had received and I ‘homed in’ on the odd negative review comment and I’m pleased to say that my stay backs up the very positive reviews comments.
Also, like many guests these days we’ve come to expect high standards with respect to room and facility cleanliness and I’m glad to say the hotel more than passed the test.
When booking this hotel I would be careful to be realistic about expectations regarding location and what to expect in this hotel class category.
We had previously stayed in a 5 star Las Vegas hotel that was all new, shiny and modern and which is probably the opposite of what to you will get at the Drisco. If quiet sophistication that is backed up with a personal touch is what you’re looking for, then this hotel is for you.
The hotel is set in the elegant (but hilly) Pacific Heights area and although you can walk to Union Square (as we did) my recommendation would be to get a cab it’s probably a bit beyond comfortable walking distance.
As other reviews mentioned, experience the early evening wine tasting and that great healthy breakfast.
I would like to give a mention to Julio, Ann and Raisa who managed these sessions, and without their attention our stay would not nearly have been so complete. Joie de Vivre Management should take note of the contributions of these individuals as they are a real asset to your organisation.
Last but not least, for any budding hoteliers or managers of bed and breakfast enterprises, I would take a stay at this hotel as they provide the benchmark which you should be measured against....this hotel is real class.

Room Tip: Our room was below ground level and footsteps could be heard above from the wooden flooring in the r...
2  Thank McCarry_11
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2011

Dear Guest,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to share your kind comments with Julio, Ann and Raisa. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards,