“Great location for a stay in San Francisco”

Handlery Union Square Hotel
Ranked #69 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
West Mids
“Great location for a stay in San Francisco”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The hotel is a great location for a stay in San Fancisco. 20m from union square. 5 min walk from the BART and 3mins to the cable car and tram/bus lines.
The hotel rooms are adequate for a few nights stay. Having just come from Las Vegas the room seemed small. The bathrooms were quite cramped but functional. The rooms could probably do with a little updating as we were on the front and it was quite noisey (no double glazing).
Staff were friendly and very helpful. Especially the doormen and concierge.
The free breakfast was a surprise and very welcome. It's a lot better than it sounds on paper. Very filling.
Union square is a great place to shop. Macy's, Sak's and Bloomingdales all a short stroll away.
As for a drink on a night. Try Lefty O'Douls next to the hotel. Lots of different beers and the food is cheap and plentiful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the front.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
HandleryHotelsMgr, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear angler70,
I read your review of the Handlery and I am pleased that you generally enjoyed your stay. We have finished double glazing the streetside rooms which should help minimize the city noise. Our location to public transportation is ideal as you found out and only a 3 1/2 block walk from BART. Thank you again for staying with us.

President, Handlery Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (907)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami Lakes, Florida
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This was a good value in the heart of San Francisco. I read the reviews and don't agree about the noise. It was quiet and clean and comfortable. The attitude of the staff varied. Checkin was good and the very young bellhop was excellent. But there is a surly older gentleman who had really bad beside manners. The fridge is a good addition. For a clean place to sleep, shower and have the occasional meal while you enjoy San Franciso, this fits the bill.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear cfrankli,
I want to thank you for staying with us and posting your comments on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and the fact that we have refrigerators in every room. We hope to see you back from Miami Lakes and thanks again for staying with us.

Victoria BC
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I had stayed at this hotel approximately 20 years ago, and remembered the great location. I've stayed at a few other places nearby in the intervening years, but thought I should try it again when my daughter and I planned a trip for spring break.
Unfortunately, it seems as if the hotel has not had any work done on it since my last visit. Our small, dark room had two windows, looking into a sort of courtyard and directly into other rooms. The room had a stale, musty smell, almost as if there had been water damage at some point. There was a mini bar with nothing in it - I'm guessing the type of guests who stay here either can't afford the cost of a drink or two, or that the hotel can't control 'shrinkage'. Pretty sad.
The worst part was the shower (no bath), which was so tiny that I could barely turnaround in it, with a flimsy curtain that did little to contain the water.
The morning after our first night (we had booked for a week), I called the Westin St. Francis next door and got a reservation: goodbye Handlery! Our room at the Westin was only $60 - $70 per night more, for a much bigger room, larger bath room, sitting area, etc. The most interesting part was that no one asked us why we were leaving after only one night. I assume they are used to this happing.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Opiedog
Dear Opiedog,
I was sorry to read that your recent stay was not an enjoyable one. I wish you had contacted us prior to leaving as I am sure we could have found you accommodations that would have met your expectations. We don't have mini bars as our guests said they would prefer a refrigerator but I will follow up on your comment about the shower. My apologies again that your stay was not as pleasant as it should have been.

Ulverston
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Great three nights @ the Handlery. Complimentary breakfast in the daily grill during our stay. Staff were all really helpful. Location was brill, within walking distance of Powell St station and the Bart to the airport. Enjoyed a drink or two in the bar and a couple down the road at Lefty O'Douls. (Amazing carvery) Loved San Francisco.

1 Thank slakes
Dear slakes,
Thanks for staying at the Handlery and I am glad you enjoyed your stay and breakfast in the Daily Grill. Our guests love our central location to all the shops, theatres and cable cars and I am happy you found it convenient for your needs. Looking forward to having you back.

toronto
Reviewed 31 March 2012

First the pros: This hotel is in a great location, so much to see, do and sample in the Union square area. The restaurant (daily grill) attached the hotel offers a great breakfast. The room is a good size with a nice sitting area and the fridge came in handy.

The downside: This is the noisiest hotel I've ever been in. Our room was a 'premium king' which opened to the pool. This might be great for families but was not suited to a couple that might sleep in or want a pre dinner nap. Maybe it was the echo, or just the horrible screaming kids and parents that stayed while we were there but it was truly inescapable distraction. The hallways weren't much better, we heard every cart, staff member and 7am whistling patron walking near our room.

The $76 for 2 nights parking does not include tax. Just a word to the wise...

I realize it's an older building and these are complaints that can't be fixed readily but it is the sort of thing that would cause me to shell out additional coin for a newer hotel in the area.

1 Thank SalesGirl77
Dear SalesGirl77,
I appreciated your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. We will do a better job with the children noise around the pool and thank you for bringing that to my attention. I am glad you enjoyed our location, the Daily Grill and our room size. Thank you again for your comments.

A Prairie Person
Reviewed 30 March 2012

First, booking directly through the hotel as it is cheaper than all the online services. We flew in and took the BART from the airport then walked a couple of blocks to the hotel. Getting to the hotel is easy. I'm not sure why the hotel doesn't use it as a selling point. I would. We checked in a couple of hours early. We expected to drop off our luggage and come back later but we were checked in right away. Check in took about two minutes. Our room was what we expected but was more comfortable and roomy than the pictures online depict. The bed was excellent. All the room amenities were as advertised. Free wireless was nice. The location is excellent. The MUNI and BART transit systems are minutes away or you can just walk. The Concierge will help you with anything you need. The complete staff was excellent. We went as sightseers and highly recommend The Handlery. We did our homework and it paid off.

Room Tip: My wife smokes so the balcony was great. We had a street side room and noise was not an issue.
3 Thank RU4Real_204
Dear RU4Real_204,
Welcome down from Canada and I was glad you had a great stay and found our location ideal. The balconies in our Premier Section are one of our unique features and we are the only downtown hotel that has them. We hope to have you come back and visit with us again. Thanks for choosing the Handlery.

Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2012

While my last two reviews on this hotel have been good, unfortunately this time I can't say that it was. Other than check-in, my stay wasn't all that great. While it was understood that I was booked into (and paid for) a large room in the historic wing, I was actually given a room the size of a "shoe box". I was also put into a section where a family had been split into a number of rooms and they insisted on running up and down the halls and slamming doors at all hours of the night/morning.

On my last day, I had arranged for a very late check out. When I rang to organise this the person on the phone was extremely rude even after I explained that I was willing to pay for the extra time.

When I checked out, I was waiting in the front of a line for over 15 mins to be served. During this time, my airport shuttle had turned up and was waiting for me. Noticing that I couldn't really wait any longer, one of the bellmen came over and had arranged for me to check out so I could get to the airport in time to make my international flight. There should be more than 2 people serving during peak check-in/check-out times.

As I said, I'm sorry that I couldn't give it a good review this time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Yonkers_au
Dear Yonkers_au,
First, thank you for staying with us and my apologies that your recent stay was not as pleasant as your previous visits. I have followed up with our staff with regards to your comments to ensure your next visit is more in line with your previous stays. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will give us another try.