The Positives....the LOCATION....this hotel is literally one block up from the wharf and all there is to do and see there. Restaurants, tours, trolley and public bus stops, a drugstore, grocery mart...it's all right there. If you do not have a vehicle this is a great, great spot.
Overall, the staff was friendly and the check in/out process took but a minute each.
The Negatives....$40 plus tax to park a vehicle per night....made the "deal" we'd gotten on price-line not such a "deal" afterall....(there are some hotels in the city that don't charge at all to park, and then many that advertise the price ahead of time). It was a surprise for us, and an unwelcome one at that since we never even used the car our entire stay and would not have even rented one had we known about this crazy charge. A taxi fare would have been far far less from the airport. Live and learn....
The rooms are a bit outdated. There are actually two buildings, we were put in the remote one, (away from our parked car meaning you had to load and unload your stuff and have someone wait with it while you parked since only eight spots were located at the second building and they were never vacant the entire stay) Our room needed some upkeep. Examples: Our drain wouldn't close in the restroom sink. (which made putting drinks on ice impossible as there wasn't a fridge) and in fact the whole piece came out in my hand when I pulled it up. Our tub didn't drain well at all. (yuck!) The light on the nightstand flickered off and on when you bumped the nightstand at all. And worst for me was the outlet in the bathroom sparked and zapped my hair dryer (a relatively new $150 model!) the first time I plugged it in so I had to throw it away. Something must have been up with the wiring in our room.
Overall the room was clean, though things like grates above the shower were filthy with dust and sludge...(little things that anal people notice). In terms of the cleaning staff, the lotions/shampoo etc. used were never replenished and they were super loud with the banging of doors as they cleaned each day. (We have an infant so quiet was a necessity.)
Lastly, the holiday inn express next door has a free breakfast buffet...for around the same price, and our hotel offered none. I know this is standard for this line, and knew this when checking in. I was excited when I saw there was a Denny's in the building HOWEVER they jacked up the prices to almost double a typical Denny's so we chose to eat elsewhere. It was nearly vacant each time we passed, so it seemed others felt the same way.
The location saved this hotel for us. But next time we'll probably choose the Holiday Inn Express or another location nearby. :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For business travel or San Francisco, California vacations, Holiday Inn San Francisco Fisherman s Wharf hotel welcomes you to the Bay City. When searching for top San Francisco hotels near Fisherman s Wharf, stay in comfort at our full-service San Francisco lodging. Walk to attractions including Pier 39, Alcatraz, Bay Cruise ferries and Ghirardelli Square. Hop on a cable car outside our hotel to visit Union Square, Financial District, Moscone Convention Center, Chinatown and AT&T Ballpark. After exploring the area, retreat to our San Francisco, California hotel to unwind in a room appointed with high-speed Internet access, in-room games and pay-per-view movies. For dining, enjoy a meal at the 24-hour Denny s or head to our Bristol Bar & Grill for a tantalizing meal and a drink. Additional on-site amenities include: laundry facilities, fitness center, an outdoor heated pool with sundeck and secure parking is available for $43 per day. Reserve your stay at our hotel in San Francisco, CA to be greeted with attentive service and superb accommodations in an unmatched locale. For spectacular savings, book a San Francisco travel package or hotel deal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, IHG, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf Hotel San Francisco
- San Francisco Holiday Inn