“Simple property, good service, great location, but not five stars.”
Review of Taj Campton Place

Taj Campton Place
Ranked #6 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City
“Simple property, good service, great location, but not five stars.”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I've stayed here quite a few times. I guess the reason I've never written a review is that the hotel is just not that impressive; the deluxe rooms are extremely simple, not that clean, and a bit old and outdated. I think the hotel needs a redo-
My upgrade was honored, and not much to complain about, but the hotel is not special or extraordinary, except the location is perfect. My room smelled a bit like it hadn't been cleaned perfectly, and five star hotels smell like five star hotels. The decor is simple and good enough-nice fitness center, friendly staff. I got a good deal, but sometimes this hotel is priced way above its value!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms very similar to standard rooms-both very average!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank keentraveler30

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed here the weekend of my son's wedding in January. The hotel could not have been more perfect. The service was impeccable in every respect. We felt that the entire staff bent over backwards to make everything special for us. There was chilled champagne in the bridal suite and the concierge even wrapped and refrigerated the leftover wedding cake until the couple returned from their honeymoon in Napa! The room was lovely. The location was terrific. Most importantly, this is a hotel that really extends the personal touch and how often can you say that these days! We cannot rave enough about every aspect of our experience.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Tara J, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Congratulations on this milestone event! We are so delighted to know that we were a part of this special time and memory in your life. We appreciate your kind feedback and are so happy to hear our staff made this event extra special. I hope your son enjoyed his honeymoon in Napa as well!

We wish your son and daughter-in-law a happy and healthy life together! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and that we can continue to make fond memories together. Thank you for choosing Taj Campton Place.

Regards,
san juan capistrano
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Campton Place each time we have visited San Francisco over the past 15 years at a rate of every few years. We have seen the change in ownership and the general decline of the hotel. It is still a very nice hotel in an excellent location. The rooms are small,but adequate and clean. The room decor has been changed to a less than inspiring tone. It is in need of a design overhaul. The bathtub entry is too high. The shower door is inadequate and water consistently spilled on the floor making it slippery when exiting. The bathrobes were uncomfortable due to the choice of material. Clothes storage is minimal at best and rather inadequate for two people without using ones suitcase for storage.We were there 4 days.
The bar area was small,crowded and noisy. Children were allowed in. The wait staff varied from unfriendly and curt to very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was the biggest disappointment from previous years. Food and service needs to be upgraded tremendously or hotel guests will never eat here. The decor is dreadful. At the present I would recommend eating elsewhere.
The concierge staff was great. They arranged meals and activities accurately. The front desk staff seemed slim and over-worked. Often I had to wait at the front desk to ask a question because the staff was on the phone for an extended period of time. I would also suggest that the hotel limousine service could be billed to the room. We took the limo to the airport,but the driver could not accept credit cards as do all of the taxis in San Francisco. Still a great place to stay. Needs an overhaul soon.

Room Tip: Get a room facing Stockton street
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank drishi
NYC
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I stayed at the Taj on a business trip and found it to be mediocre compared to other hotels of similar pricing and alleged caliber. For a similar price point, I would suggest staying at the Mandarin for better ambiance, rooms, and a higher level of luxury. The rooms at the Taj Campton aren't shabby, but definitely not anything special, and somewhat of a letdown for the price you're paying compared to other hotels like the Mandarin, the W (which is actually considerably less, even, though it has more of a hip environment), etc. It's more of a Hilton level room for 1.5-2x the price.

If you're traveling and sightseeing in SF, however, the location is right off of Union Square and downtown SF, so the convenient location is something to consider.

Something to note is that if you make a reservation online, it says that deluxe rooms have a separate bath and shower. I'm a fan of this, so I reserved a deluxe room instead of a standard California king room. However, I was given a room that A. had a bath with shower together and B. was not deluxe in any way so I thought I had been given a standard room. I called about this the next day after my stay and the front desk told me that I had indeed been given a deluxe room and that I should specify next time, as though it was my problem for not specifying that I'd wanted a separate shower and bath deluxe room even though that's in the description of all deluxe rooms. It's not that it's that big of a deal, but the fact that they didn't see it as a problem to leave out details makes me wonder what else is "included" but not actually a given. Hm... Misleading?

Room Tip: Make sure to specify that you want a room with separate bath and shower if that's your preferenc...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BusinessTravelle
IvyNguyen, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear Business Traveller,

While we were happy to have you with us, I was sorry to read that you were not so pleased as we. After carefully re-reading your review, it seems your biggest complaint was that you did not have a separate shower, and I am especially sorry that your final comment was "hm...misleading?" since the website clearly states "•Stand-alone enclosed glass showers or shower/tub combination". Though the addition of a neighboring building and many remodels, we have ended with 26 different room configurations: some rooms have shower and tub conbinations, some have separate shower and tub and some only have showers. Indeed, some of our California rooms, have separate showers and tubs. You may make your reservation on line, but a more sure way of getting the rooms size and configureation you want is to call the hotel directly. We cannot, however, guarantee a certain type as that depends on occupancy and departures at any give period.

We do hope you will give us another opportunity to meet your expectations.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We were recently in San Francisco celebrating my husbands birthday. I was pleasantly surprised. We upgraded from and California to the Deluxe, the room was very small but it had everything that we needed. The bed was extremely comfortable. We ask for them to change the down pillows and comforter out because I an allergic and it was done right away. The bags came within minutes of us getting to our room. We did have drinks in there bar, pricey but good service. They were always asking if we needed anything and what we did request was taken care of fast and always with a smile. All the people that we met that worked there were great we felt so welcome. The area around the hotel is great. If we come to San Francisco again we would defiantly stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrenRob
IvyNguyen, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Happy Birthday to your husband! We are so glad you chose to spend this special occasion at Taj Campton Place. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed our rooms and service. We like to ensure that each guest has the most accommodating and pleasurable stay possible, and of course always with a smile! We are so happy to hear you will stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Let's start with the positive:
-the location. You are literally so close to everything. The shopping, Chinatown, cable cars etc etc (although not much for restaurants in the area)
-the beds. The bedding and beds are all down feathers so it feels like you are sleeping on marshmallows.
-the robe. They let you use really plush and soft robe and slippers
-water. Sadly, I do think it's positive that they give you 2 free bottles of water everyday.
-service. The front desk was very helpful and knowledgable about any of our questions about the city.

The negative:
-the rooms. They are so so tiny. Also as far as decoration, there is really nothing too special about them except for a really nice closet area. Even the view wasn't great.
-movies. To rent a movie on the tv was $15!!!
-amenities. I just wasnt a fan of the shampoo brand etc.
-restaurant. Pretty but so expensive for how little you get. $10 for some Kashi cereal! Crazy!
-Lobby. Looks a little outdated. Although I did appreciate the fresh flowers.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay with no major complaints. But for the money, I would rather stay at the W. this hotel is lacking some thought into details.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Kris2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us about your recent stay at Taj Campton Place. We are constantly trying to exceed our guest’s expectations, so we truly appreciate you taking the time to share with us all the positives and negatives about your stay. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our location, beds and robes! However, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your room and the in-room amenities we provide.
I truly apologize for your disappointing experience, and we welcome the opportunity to host you again and leave you with a positive impression. Thank you for choosing Taj Campton Place.

Best regards,
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This is a very, very nice hotel. This was my second stay at this hotel (first under current management). It is right off of union square and I was there during the holiday season. Great location. The rooms are spacious (unlike many of the other hotels in the area) and the personnel was very helpful. It is a far better experience than the major chains in the area. It is the quality that stands out. It feels like old world charm but with modern amenities.

Would definitely stay there agian.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
IvyNguyen, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Dear Guest,

you so much for your kind words! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and our ideal location off of Union Square. We are always pleased to hear when our guests appreciate the personalized service our staff provides. We appreciate you taking the time to write such a
kind review and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Best Regards,