“Exceptional”

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Exceptional”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

After staying at overpriced, pretentious and mediocre St. Regis on a previous stay, this was a welcome relief and unexpected surprise. Very clean, well-kept rooms with impeccable service. Only criticism I can come up with was poor water pressure, but this was remedied by first-class service, cleanliness and toiletries. Food was impressive with all the culinary flair of India with quick, prompt and courteous attention. Do not ever miss Bombay breakfast!

Room Tip: Ask the reception staff. They will guide you honestly to your best option, we requested an upgrade b...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eyedidag
IvyNguyen, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Guest,

We want to extend our sincerest gratitude for taking the time to share your experience and to highlight all the wonderful things you enjoyed about your stay. In case you were unaware, our Campton Place Restaurant was recently awarded One Michelin Star. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed the Indian flair of our cuisine, something we pride ourselves in here at Taj Campton Place. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future and hope Taj Campton Place becomes your home away from home while traveling in San Francisco!

Ashrafi Matcheswala

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Australia
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Had a great 5 night stay here in early December. Got a decent rate (for the time of year), and as a Leaders Club member we had $50 breakfast credit each morning as well as free Wi-Fi. WIth these benefits we had a great stay, and the hotel is in a fantastic location. The rooms aren't very large and the bathroom is the typical bath-shower, but very clean and comfortable - and very friendly and attentive service.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BessAust
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for providing us with your feedback! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your five night stay with us. The Leaders Club amenities are definitely a plus and we hope you enjoyed your daily breakfast! It sounds as though you were able to take advantage of our ideal location and proximity to Union Square. It is through such thoughtful support and feedback like yours that our staff continues to be inspired to provide impeccable service each day. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future!

new york
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I really like dthis hotel - stayed in room 1503, great big room with a very comfortable bed.

Room had teh shower in eth tub - not my favorite and teh oversized shower made it a big step up to get in but teh water flowed aplenty and it was a great shower. The wswinging glas door made it feel open and not as confining as most tub showers.

I checked in at 11 am and left a 7:30 am so there is not a lot I can say. The shoe shine service was perfectly timely. I tried to order a tv show and the system asked me for a credit card which I thought was strange - maybe they did not set my account up properly but I was too tired to either go get a card or call downstairs to ask why.

Checkin was great, they even asked when I needed breakfast so we could arrange something if I was leaving before service started!

LHW amenity was a plate of fruit that looked very inviting - a huge pear, a perfect orange and a very yellow banana, witha nice note a glass plate and a small knife.

I stayed at this property 25 years ago and it is just in great shape. There are a lot of choices in SF but if you like smaller boutique hotes with an exceptinally high level of service I would very much recommend this property

Room Tip: Hotel has different tub/shower combination - ask you they will try hard an dget what you want
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us; we truly appreciate your kind words! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed our service. It is through such thoughtful support and feedback like yours that our staff continues to be inspired to provide impeccable service each day. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and recommend our property. We look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Campton Place and hopefully your next visit will not have to be so short!

New York City
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I've stayed here quite a few times. I guess the reason I've never written a review is that the hotel is just not that impressive; the deluxe rooms are extremely simple, not that clean, and a bit old and outdated. I think the hotel needs a redo-
My upgrade was honored, and not much to complain about, but the hotel is not special or extraordinary, except the location is perfect. My room smelled a bit like it hadn't been cleaned perfectly, and five star hotels smell like five star hotels. The decor is simple and good enough-nice fitness center, friendly staff. I got a good deal, but sometimes this hotel is priced way above its value!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms very similar to standard rooms-both very average!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank keentraveler30
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed here the weekend of my son's wedding in January. The hotel could not have been more perfect. The service was impeccable in every respect. We felt that the entire staff bent over backwards to make everything special for us. There was chilled champagne in the bridal suite and the concierge even wrapped and refrigerated the leftover wedding cake until the couple returned from their honeymoon in Napa! The room was lovely. The location was terrific. Most importantly, this is a hotel that really extends the personal touch and how often can you say that these days! We cannot rave enough about every aspect of our experience.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Tara J, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Congratulations on this milestone event! We are so delighted to know that we were a part of this special time and memory in your life. We appreciate your kind feedback and are so happy to hear our staff made this event extra special. I hope your son enjoyed his honeymoon in Napa as well!

We wish your son and daughter-in-law a happy and healthy life together! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and that we can continue to make fond memories together. Thank you for choosing Taj Campton Place.

san juan capistrano
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Campton Place each time we have visited San Francisco over the past 15 years at a rate of every few years. We have seen the change in ownership and the general decline of the hotel. It is still a very nice hotel in an excellent location. The rooms are small,but adequate and clean. The room decor has been changed to a less than inspiring tone. It is in need of a design overhaul. The bathtub entry is too high. The shower door is inadequate and water consistently spilled on the floor making it slippery when exiting. The bathrobes were uncomfortable due to the choice of material. Clothes storage is minimal at best and rather inadequate for two people without using ones suitcase for storage.We were there 4 days.
The bar area was small,crowded and noisy. Children were allowed in. The wait staff varied from unfriendly and curt to very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was the biggest disappointment from previous years. Food and service needs to be upgraded tremendously or hotel guests will never eat here. The decor is dreadful. At the present I would recommend eating elsewhere.
The concierge staff was great. They arranged meals and activities accurately. The front desk staff seemed slim and over-worked. Often I had to wait at the front desk to ask a question because the staff was on the phone for an extended period of time. I would also suggest that the hotel limousine service could be billed to the room. We took the limo to the airport,but the driver could not accept credit cards as do all of the taxis in San Francisco. Still a great place to stay. Needs an overhaul soon.

Room Tip: Get a room facing Stockton street
3 Thank drishi
NYC
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I stayed at the Taj on a business trip and found it to be mediocre compared to other hotels of similar pricing and alleged caliber. For a similar price point, I would suggest staying at the Mandarin for better ambiance, rooms, and a higher level of luxury. The rooms at the Taj Campton aren't shabby, but definitely not anything special, and somewhat of a letdown for the price you're paying compared to other hotels like the Mandarin, the W (which is actually considerably less, even, though it has more of a hip environment), etc. It's more of a Hilton level room for 1.5-2x the price.

If you're traveling and sightseeing in SF, however, the location is right off of Union Square and downtown SF, so the convenient location is something to consider.

Something to note is that if you make a reservation online, it says that deluxe rooms have a separate bath and shower. I'm a fan of this, so I reserved a deluxe room instead of a standard California king room. However, I was given a room that A. had a bath with shower together and B. was not deluxe in any way so I thought I had been given a standard room. I called about this the next day after my stay and the front desk told me that I had indeed been given a deluxe room and that I should specify next time, as though it was my problem for not specifying that I'd wanted a separate shower and bath deluxe room even though that's in the description of all deluxe rooms. It's not that it's that big of a deal, but the fact that they didn't see it as a problem to leave out details makes me wonder what else is "included" but not actually a given. Hm... Misleading?

Room Tip: Make sure to specify that you want a room with separate bath and shower if that's your preferenc...
1 Thank BusinessTravelle
IvyNguyen, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear Business Traveller,

While we were happy to have you with us, I was sorry to read that you were not so pleased as we. After carefully re-reading your review, it seems your biggest complaint was that you did not have a separate shower, and I am especially sorry that your final comment was "hm...misleading?" since the website clearly states "•Stand-alone enclosed glass showers or shower/tub combination". Though the addition of a neighboring building and many remodels, we have ended with 26 different room configurations: some rooms have shower and tub conbinations, some have separate shower and tub and some only have showers. Indeed, some of our California rooms, have separate showers and tubs. You may make your reservation on line, but a more sure way of getting the rooms size and configureation you want is to call the hotel directly. We cannot, however, guarantee a certain type as that depends on occupancy and departures at any give period.

We do hope you will give us another opportunity to meet your expectations.